Airfare to London

Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airfare to London

We're planning a family trip to London over spring break at the beginning of April. When should I start looking for airfares? What should I expect to pay? I did a search earlier today and came up with $413 pp/rt. Is that a good fare? We'll be traveling out of Washington, DC. Thanks!
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:18 AM

From my limited experience (I am sure some of the more veteran users will respond), it is a bit of a crap shoot.

I booked a roundtrip fare with British Airways 6-8 weeks ago for $676.00 leaving nonstop from Atlanta next week. As the weeks passed and I kept rechecking the fares I watched them drop BELOW $500 for the same plane! When I called BA about possible recourse, I was rebuffed. Now, this week, I guess to fleece those booking late, the fares are back up over $1500 for the SAME plane.

I am sure the airlines have SOME logic to their fare madness, but I certainly have not figured it out! Your current quoted fare seems good to me.

Have a great trip,

Cheers,

Ron
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:40 AM

I think that's a very good fare for Spring, especially if it includes the taxes/fees. I don't really know the best time for booking myself. I usually have major plans for my vacations so I can't risk not getting to/from a certain city on a certain date, so I tend to book airfare about 3-4 months ahead, no later. I am also particular about wanting nonstops, if possible, and the airlines or places I go through, so usually only have a couple choices of flights I really want.

I've paid about $700-800 RT from DC to London in peak season, and I've seen fares about $400-500 in low season (winter). It is extremely rare to see a fare RT to London less than $400. IN short, if that fare includes all fess, I would book it, you aren't going to get much better. I might add that is Easter holiday period so flights could get booked up.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 10:54 AM

In past years, the best spring fare sales have seemed to come in mid-january. These are often for "depart before Mar 31, return by Apr 15". A couple of times we've gotten around $300-350 (including tx) from the west coast (east coast fares were more like $250-280). These are typically for the less used departure days which may clash with fitting around school vacations). BUT, airlines have cut quite a bit of capacity in the last couple of years, so it is not so easy to predict what sales will happen this year.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 12:09 PM

Your best available price is probably going to be determined by your fortitude. If you have a little courage and a somewhat flexible schedule, you will probably find sales by several of the airlines early in the year. Naturally, spring break time is not the most advantageous time to go, price-wise; and since you do have a fairly firm schedule, you shouldn't explore fares too long before choosing. I have found the best deals to be those that offer a combination of hotel and airfare. Maybe you'll come across something like that. Good luck.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 01:52 PM
ira

Hi,

Take a look at http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm

You have to keep in mind that it there is no rhyme or reason to air fares. I recently booked a flight to Paris, at what I thought was a very good price (less than my fare three years ago), and then the stinkers had a sale for $100 less.