Obscene Fares

Jul 4th, 2002, 08:47 AM
xxx

Obscene Fares

Trying to plan a late summer trip to London. Orbitz claims there is a Virgin sale on with fares as low as $520 (I understand you have to add $90 to that for taxes). Went to Virgin web site and they want an obscenely absurd ridiculous $750 for a round trip to London (this does include the taxes). British Airways wants the same.

No wonder the airlines are going broke...round trip NY-London should be about $500 and I will not pay one cent more.

Maybe priceline will have reasonable fares. They're all crazy.

Jul 4th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Rex

<<round trip NY-London should be about $500>>

So, go borrow a few dozen million, buy your fleet of (one?) airplane(s), offer fares at %520 any start making your vast fortune.

It costs what it costs and then quite a bit more. When they (the airlines) occasionally throw us a bargain (as $750 is, when you factor in the demand-supply equation, 12 months a year), personally I am grateful.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jul 4th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Rex

Uggh! the typos!

few dozen million [dollars], buy your fleet of (one?) airplane(s), offer fares at [$] 520 [and] start making ...

Jul 4th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Mike

Try skyauction.com. I got a great deal on a flight to London. You have to know your limit on bidding, but I've been there for 5 trips/flights and have been very satisfied.

Jul 4th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Christina

Late summer is peak travel season and this year fares to Europe for summer were higher than last year -- so, I think $750 is supposedly a "sale" in comparison to perhaps $850-900 which I did see for US east cost to Europe RT this summer (Paris or London). Who knows about the $625 or so Orbitz teaser, a lot of times there is such a fare but only one particular day and a few seats and most likely they just didn't fit the dates you wanted. I bought a BA "sale" late August fare RT Wash DC-London for $725 which I didn't think was much of a sale, either, but I imagine it was about $100 off prior rates. Virgin was matching BA's sale fares for about that price which is what you are seeing. Yes, it's a lot of money but I don't see too many $500 RT peak summer fares myself, so I guess you'll have to wait until off-season. When I decided to go to London late August, I certainly researched everywhere before buying that $725 BA fare, and the only cheaper flight I found was $644 on Icelandair but it was not nonstop and the BA was.

Jul 4th, 2002, 09:40 AM
CWilliamfla

I have to agree with Rex. We all want the cheapest fares possible. I'd love to fly to London for $150. I'd be very happy with $520, but I dont think the airlines are crazy for wanting to make a profit. If everyone paid the $520 fare there'd be few, if any, airlines in business. Because you have paid $500 in the past, or everytime you have flown, does not mean this is the only fair fare in the market, and everything above is a scam. If they're charging more, they think the market and supply/demand will allow it. If you can't afford to go, then you can opt to wait and see if/when they'll offer the lower fare in the future. I agree the airlines are crazy in some ways, but not for wanting to make a profit.

Jul 4th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Gerry K

Glad you all spoke up. Since I've flown to London from JFK twice during the past two years (BA & VS) for under $500, I've been trying my darndest to match that for several days now. And without success. Knowing that $700-$800 is not an unreasonable fare, I'll probably pay in that range without feeling dumb about it.

Gerry K

Jul 4th, 2002, 10:50 AM
mmpprh

Hi

Looking at the trends and thinking of late summer, maybe they see the dollar falling much lower.

And maybe they are right ?

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com/

Jul 4th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Wayne

Realizing that most of you are talking about fares to London, this Austrian Airlines offer might not tempt you. It really tempted me, but I can't get away. For about $689 plus the normal taxes, you get a round trip from New York or Washington to Vienna beginning in September, PLUS 3 nights in a 3 star hotel. If anyone wants to go, this is the deal of the year!!

Jul 4th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Gretchen

I want to go for free--I just don't understand these airlines charging me anything because I want what I want. That said you should also be aware that there are 30% fewer planes per airline flying the Atlantic. Hence they are flying FULL and there is no incentive to have a sale.

Jul 4th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Gerry K

Wayne,

Where can that deal be found?

GK

Jul 4th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Wayne

GK---
Look up the Austrian Airlines web site. I don't remember exactly, but I think it's just www.austrianair.com. I actually received a flyer in the mail, but it's on the web site too. If that's the wrong web address, I'm sure you can find it using your browser. Good luck.

Jul 4th, 2002, 03:23 PM
xyz

xxx, what are you complaining about? You're lucky that you depart from NY. Try living where I am on the west coast. If I hadn't bought tickets on Lufthansa since March for an October flight from SFO to Paris for $680, I'd be paying well over $1,000+ now. The truth is, there are no bargains as there were in the past.

Jul 4th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Gerry K

Found it, Wayne. Thanks. It does look like quite a deal. I'm tempted.

Gerry K

Jul 4th, 2002, 05:23 PM
elvira

Try flights into Manchester - travelocity is showing r/t from New York for $230 - on Pakistani Airlines. I didn't look for specific dates, but it's a shot. Also try Sabena into Brussels; I haven't looked, but they sometimes have really cheap flights, then find a cheap Eurostar or airplane flight into London. Getting a cheap fare requires ingenuity and flexibility - try hotwire.com or priceline.com

Jul 4th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Clif

I just got Raleigh to Paris r/t airfare for $480 including tax/fees on Priceline.com. Leaving the first week in September. It's a Delta flight with a reasonable itinerary. I was pleasantly surprised.

Jul 5th, 2002, 04:28 AM
up

topside

Jul 5th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Jim Rosenberg

We're finding some of the lowest fare class codes bundled in with packages sold by airline-affiliated operations right now. That can often make an air/hotel package far cheaper than the bare ticket alone. It's worth checking out if you are looking for a hotel anyway and you can find something you like within the selections available. My own guess is that some of these seats may be cut loose for late summer and fall travel before the end of July, but who knows? It's been a decidedly more difficult year for finding low fares, IMHO.

Jul 5th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Gerry K

Jim,

Where can these be found?

Gerry K

Jul 5th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Sherry

US Airways is having some "diamond in the rough" fares for certain routes for certain dates in August.
You can access the cities and dates on the site under specials and that heading. I do not know if you can use any of them. Might be worth a try.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO