Air France

Sep 15th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Air France

We fly from Paris to Amsterdam on Air France and connect to a Northwest flight to Minneapolis. We have 1-1/2 hours to connect.
We used frequent flyer miles to book, so didn't have much choice in booking the connection.

It occurred to me that if we got to the airport very early, maybe Air France would put us on an earlier flight. I'm told officially they wouldn't do that, particularly with frequent flyer miles, but does anyone have any experience of doing this? Was wondering if maybe once you're actually there the desk people have a little discretion to make these kinds of changes.
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Just my personal experience but flying on Delta Skymiles free tickets on Air France resulted in being treated as a second class citizen on more than one occasion.

The flights are often not on time, connecting can be beastly. Two years ago, we missed our connection (Air France flight was late getting into CDG) and they told us paying passengers had priority on the later flights. We were in business class so it was really irritating.

I have never had a positive Air France experience and will go out of my way to avoid them unless there is no choice.
Sep 15th, 2007, 10:07 AM

my experience is that usually they will not make changes...

i fly air france often and have never had a problem, save one in 1965....
Sep 15th, 2007, 10:20 AM

Vanne
Have you checked to see if there's another earlier flight. Maybe you're worrying about nothing.

Why do you want to change this for a earlier flight. The 1-1/2 hours is plenty time to make your connection. Schipol airport is fairly easy to navigate, so this will still time to do some duty free shopping before the flight.

Blackduff
Sep 15th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Blackduff, thanks for the reassurance. I've never flown into Schilpol and have been concerned that if the plane from Paris is a little late we could have a problem. I guess my worry has been increased by the fact that if we miss our connecting flight home, there are no other flights NW can put us on till the next day, so we'd end up staying overnight.

I guess I just have to learn to not sweat the small stuff, and your comments about Schilpol help.