Air France experiences?

Jul 6th, 2002, 07:06 AM
John

Air France experiences?

Looking for comments on Air France service. Anything I need to know?

Jul 6th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Shannon

Are you going economy or business class? And where from?

Jul 6th, 2002, 08:39 AM
bill

We have flown economy to Paris on Air France several times. Other than a long line to check in and one very long wait for our luggage (45 min), we have enjoyed Air France. The inflight service has been great.

Jul 6th, 2002, 11:51 AM
jim

John,there is another posting about Air France which describes unpleasant experiences with them. As with Bill's comment, above, I have had no bad experiences with them having flown LAX-Paris and back in November, economy both ways. Flight crews were pleasant, food was acceptable and no limit on wine plus they had open galleys outside of food serving hours for water and snacks (smoked salmon when I went up). In making a transfer from a domestic to the homebound flight at CDG we didn't make the connection because of a major crowd at security and Air France put us up for the night and provided dinner because of the inconvenience. I suspect that when one speaks of airline experiences it is all anecdotal but my experience with Air France has been positive.

Jul 6th, 2002, 12:38 PM
paul

Although we have not flown AF from the US to Europe we have flown AF roundtrips CDG-Prague; CDG-Bordeaux; CDG-Florence and CDG-Bologna.

All these intraEurope flights were excellent. Good service, good seats, meals which were much better than internal US flights and on time if the flights were early in the day. In general later flights have a much better chance of delays in Europe due to multiple traffic controllers, strikes and over scheduling.

Hope this helps.

Jul 6th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Annette

Flew Air France (Paris-New York) this past May. Can't complain, the flight attendants were professional and friendly.

(One note, give yourself plenty of time to arrive at the airport; my shuttle never showed up, so I had to arrange for a cab to get me to the airport. We got stuck in traffic and I arrived at the ticket/check-in counter 50mins prior to my flight. I was told that it was too late to check-in, as the cut off was 60mins PRIOR to departure). Long story short, Air France was very accommodating and I didn't miss my flight).

Jul 6th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Adrienne

Hi John: My sister had a very different experience than the above posters. She confirmed her reservation on Air France and repeated to the reservationist many time, "Each ticket is $575. round trip. So for two tickets the total is $1150." The reservationist confirmed that. When the tickets arrived she had been charged $1,150 for each ticket to Rome. It was the time of the year when fares were low and other airlines were charging the same. She is still fighting Air France for that. When she called to talk to a supervisor about the problem, she caught them in a lie twice. Then the connecting time was too close. She mentioned it to the reservationist and she assured her she would be able to make the connection. Needless to say, she didn't. Even though there were many flights from Paris to Rome, they weren't able to get one for four hours. The others were full. We were meeting them in Rome to drive to Tuscany. It wasn't fun driving in Tuscany at 10 pm trying to find our villa. On her return trip the same thing happened. This time they were put on a flight two hours later. She took Air France to Italy because the connections were the best. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way. In one trip they missed their connection both ways. I think that's unreasonable. If you're flying non-stop it will probably be fine, just watch what they charge.

Jul 6th, 2002, 04:10 PM
njgirl

We flew Air France out of Newark to Paris,5 years in a row.Not one bad experience.

Jul 7th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Chris

Love Air France -- used them for all our trips back and forth between France and the US, within France and within Europe.
Prefer them to Continental -- I overheard a Continental employee (flight attendant) tell a French speaking passenger "I don't speak French, English only" and walked away from them.

Jul 7th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Doug Weller

I've had a couple of bad delays with Air France. The last one involved getting in the plane to fly CDG BHX (Birmingham UK), taxiing out and waiting for a long time and then returning to base (a bus ride from the terminal). We were finally told to get off and passengers heard the pilot saying that the computer was still broken a week after he'd reported it and he wasn't flying the plane.

Back to the terminal to be told we'd be flown to London and then bussed to Birmingham. We finally convinced them that that was unacceptable and that there was no reason not to be put on the next direct flight to Birmingham.
They also ignored an Eastern European women who couldn't speak French and was obviously confused.

Doug

Jul 7th, 2002, 09:07 AM
kate

Doug,the same thing happened to us on Virgin,we sat on the runway at Heathrow for 2 hours!! before they took us back to the airport,wiring problem they said,then we ended up taxiing right back out and leaving in the same plane!
Air France has always been good for us/they are partners with Continental,or were last time we used them.

Jul 11th, 2002, 07:13 AM
John

Thanks for the replies. I read somewhere else that Air France has a stict weight requirement on carry-ons and checked baggage. Has anyone encountered this?

Jul 11th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Rita

Hi John
We flew Air France June 6, 2002 from Toronto to Paris (had connections from Madison, WI to Milwaukee to Toronto). Other than our luggagge spending an additional day sightseeing in Toronto (missed the connection somehow), the flight was OK. Coming back from Paris we flew Air France/operated by Delta. The Air France (Airbus) flight was much better - seats were slightly bigger, cushier & headrests were better on the Airbus than on the Boeing 777. I wasn't happy, however, that our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids ages 7 & 10) were split into 3 seating sections for the Toronto/Paris leg. We arrived at the Air France counter with confirmed seat reservations all together only to find out that since we arrived 1 1/2 hours prior to the flight, our seats had been "given away" to those who arrived earlier. I had made the reservations 4 months in advance & I wasn't real happy to have a 7-yr. old sitting by himself in a center seat. O well, he behaved himself wonderfully (thanks to GameBoy). Overall, I still like the Airbus accomodation better than a Boeing 777. Hope this helps!

Jul 11th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Rita

Hi again
Forgot to mention - our bags did arrive late the next day. In the meantime, Air France gave each of us "emergency kits". My husband & 7-yr. old son each got the men's version (which contained shaver, toothbrush, aftershave, and my son Chad's very 1st condom!). My daughter Nicki (age 10) and I each received the women's version (with tampon, deoderant, etc. and a more elaborately packaged condom!). I guess Air France figures if you have no clothes/luggage you can at least have a good time! We still chuckle at a 7-year old getting a shaver & condom, though!

Jul 11th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Burta

Just got back from Europe last week. Flew Air France non-stop from L.A. to Paris. Long, easy, comfortable trip with great service both ways. Each seat had its own little screen and many movie offerings -- great way to pass the time. Food acceptable. Air fare was about $600. Would do it again anytime!

Jul 11th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Julie

I have flown on Air France four times - from Washington DC to Nice changing planes in Paris and EACH time - my luggage was lost and brought to me two days later. I suggest if you are transferring through Paris only - pack some extra clothes in your carry on.

Jul 11th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Elaine

Flew Paris to Miami last Nov. Bag damaged on the way out and took 3 months to get back cost of new luggage despite providing receipts, claim forms etc. All luggage lost on return flight and not returned to us for a further 24 hours. We also found it strange that they did not board by row numbers and all 400 (approx) pax tried to board at the same time!! Food and cabin service were OK however.

Jul 11th, 2002, 04:46 PM
anita

My husband flies Air France & likes their President's club lounge. It is wonderful to wait in there for your flight. As for them being partners with Continental, they were but are now partners with Delta according to Delta's website. That is a shame because we enjoyed the Continental/ Air France run.

Jul 11th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Rosa

Of course, an airline is really nice if you don't have to travel in economy. However, judging from the comments on all airlines, I have yet to hear of one airline that is 100% good. I don't think there is any airline that's 100% good though. From my experience with Air France it was a horrible experience. No lost baggage at least but the flight was awful from the seats to the dirty bathrooms and inedible food.

Jul 15th, 2002, 01:46 AM
ukexpat

I've flown them several times within Europe, and their OK. They were very strict about the weight of our bags(weighed each checked bag, and each carry-on) After each carry-on was weighed it was tagged (I guess you can't take it on if it hasn't been tagged). We insisted that each of us were entitled to a carry on (including our two year old son) because we each had a full price ticket. The ticket agent insisted that our son's stroller was his carry on, and we could only take on two others. So at 6:00am, our choice was to pull him out of the stroller for 1.5 hours until the flight or check another carry on. Then she came back and said that technically she wasn't suppose to let us take stroller any further anyway, but would let us because of the time. I could ramble on, but it got pretty messy as I unpacked all of my valuables on the airport floor, to put them in two carryons.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO