Warning - Air France passengers

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning - Air France passengers

My DH and I were returning to the states last weekend after our two week honeymoon. We had confirmed our flights - specifically times - before we left. However, no one mentioned this to us. Due to the collapse of the Air France terminal, many of the flights had been re-routed to other terminals. Thus, changing the departure times. We only learned about this the morning we had arrived in Paris from Italy. We expected to catch our 10:55 flight but were told it was not leaving until 6 pm! We were stuck in the airport for over 8 hours. We had been up since 4:30 in the morning to catch our first flight. No one was helpful except offering meal vouchers that no restaurant would accept. Additionally, the waiting areas are not too comfortable in the terminal - specifically the metal chairs and the smoking that is permitted.

Just wanted to inform everyone!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:06 PM

We are flying Air France Boston to Paris next week - I hope we don't run into the same problem!!! I'll call before we leave for the airport to make sure the flight is leaving on time. Thanks for the warning.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Is anyone familiar with the Cinncinati-Paris AF flight and whether it comes into the same terminal as the internal France flights leave from? They had been listed as the same terminals previously--Cinncinati-Paris--Paris-Bordeaux. If you know, I would so appreciate knowing. Thanks.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Check with Air France. I believe that you will now have to change terminals from international arrival to national departure (2F to 2D).
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:51 AM

One further factor. 2E, 2F, etc sound near each other. They are not. You practically have to take a bus between them.

Last month we were scheduled to land in 2E with our connecting flight in 2F. Simple, n'est ce pas? 2E was the one with the collapse. We now had to go to 2C. We had an hour interval between flights and just made it. Check with the airline.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 10:09 AM

Yes, from 2F to 2D you do need to take the bus. Coming back, from 2D to 2F, I learned from someone who flies there frequently that it is quicker to walk, using the moving sidewalks from national arrivals to international departures. The buses only go around in one direction, and, had I not heeded his advice, I would have missed my international connection back to the US. I always keep the map of the airport with me, I think it is on the back cover, or in one of the inner pages of the ticket pouch.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 10:14 AM

The collapse was widely reported - I don't have a TV, but I knew about the disaster immediately on line.
Consider your news sources more carefully, LOL!
M
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 10:55 AM

I've always followed what I thought was every airline's request that you confirm your return flight a day or two ahead of time. The one time I failed to do that my United flight from CDG had been cancelled! I thought I was losing my mind when I arrived at CDG and walked around and around and around looking for a United check-in counter. It had been completely shut down, as the last United flight of the day had left. I had to go back into Paris and spend another night.....sob!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:18 AM

We flew AirFrance from Venice to Paris as part of a Continental package that carried us from Venice to Paris to Houston, Texas. We will NEVER EVER EVER fly AirFrance again. We have never encountered such rude employees and we have flown Iberia, Kenya Airways, and several other airlines known for poor service previous to our flight with AirFrance. To top off our experience, they lost our luggage. When we got it back 3 days later it had bright blue chewing gum smeared ALL over the front of it and there were two holes on the front larger than a US quarter dollar coin. When we called to report damage we got a nasty "that is normal wear and tear and we are not responsible". Our luggage was a wedding gift (Samsonite) and now the piece we would have used the most often is more or less wrecked. Grrr...
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 07:20 PM

We flew Air France in late May from CDG to SFO after 2E collapsed. We did not encounter any problems. We checked a day or so before our flight to determine new gate assignment. The flight was non-eventful and the crew was very attentive. Our daughter flew Air France last December and raved about the service.