Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advise for travelling to Eastern Europe(including Balkans)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have worked out the countries i would like to visit when going to Eastern Europe this coming July (July2014). However, what's hindering me right now, is the fact that most car rentals do not offer cross borders over to countries such as Bulgaria and Romania.
I have checked through at least 5 car rentals, and none of which satisfy my criteria of my intended tour.
Here are the countries i am planning to cover and travel by 2 cars/a van(for 8 seater), with Austria Vienna being the start point.
Head over to Italy(just venice) for a day, then Slovenia, Croatia,Bosnia, Serbia,Bulgaria,Romania,Hungary,Slovakia,Czech Republic, and finally back to Austria after about 18 days.

Anyone knows of a solution or any sites that could aid my search for the car rentals that can enter those countries i mentioned?
I have booked some of the hotels at those places i have mentioned, so just left with the car rental issue that is heavily bothering my planning for this trip.
Any advise?
Old May 13th, 2014, 03:21 AM

It would have been helpful to let us know what rental agencies you've already contacted so you don't get the same information again.

AutoEurope/Kemwell
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

I have approached Avis(which does not allow entrance to Bulgaria,Romania and Serbia).
Others such as EasyCar, Hertz does not offer as well.

Ah yes, i saw AutoEurope, but they did not mention anything regarding Bulgaria and Romania (which are my two main concerns, as they are the furtherst if i start my tour from Austria). They only mentioned african countries are NOT allowed to, so does that imply any other countries are possible?
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:10 AM

Here is Hertz:
"Hertz vehicles cannot be driven into and/or dropped off in any African, American, Asian, or Middle Eastern country, nor in Albania, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, New Zealand, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.

Hertz vehicles may be driven to, but not dropped off in Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia."

In addition there is a restriction on some vehicles. When I rented from them in Munich they would not allow any of their German made cars driven to Croatia, etc.They rented me a Ford.

I think you may be out of luck. You may try some of the French car companies who lease/buy back. You may have to pick up/drop off in other than Austria.
Old May 13th, 2014, 09:45 AM

AutoEurope is a consolidator and the actual rental is through a car rental company. You'd need to contact AutoEurope and ask them if you can take a rental car to the countries you want to visit.

Helpful hint: Give them all the information to get a correct response. Pick up date, location, drop off date, location, type of car, countries visiting, etc.
Old May 13th, 2014, 11:14 AM

Google short term car lease central europe.

You're unlikely to find a major car company that will let you take the car into some of those countries (Balkans, Romania, Bulgaria).
Old May 13th, 2014, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are buses and trains in the Balkans....

Also, did I read that you are planning on visiting all those countries in just 18 days? Have you laid this out on a calendar, including travel time?
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Yes, 18 days. we are probably staying at one city for a day or two at most, and head on to the next one. Travelling might be a little tight, and my brother and I have calculated and search for an approximate distance from one place to another.

How about renting a car that has one way return, and returning it at another country, then subsequently renting a second car into balkans.

Also, I heard about purchasing the vignette and entering into the countries. Why is it that the countries do not allow cars from Austria to enter actually?
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:58 PM

I hope you are aware that areas of these countries have very poor roads. It could take hours to drive 100 miles. I have also seen border dressings between Hungary and Serbia take 5 hours in the summer.

I am unaware of any way to solve your car rental issue. When we rent cars (ex. Romania) we rent from small local agencies. I never find the global companies to be terribly effective (they seem to want their cars to come back).

Good luck. I fear you have laid out an impossible agenda given your time. These countries had extremely limited travel for decades. When communism fell, connections were not established overnight. It still amazes me there is no train from Split to Dubrovnik or Piran to Trieste. The border crossings aren't all easy.

I hope this is not your first trip to the eastern half of Europe and you are aware of what services to expect and which just do not exist.