Car rental in Central/Eastern Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning a trip starting from Vienna back to Vienna via Czech republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, BiH and Montenegro. We intend hiring a car but are running into problems getting information about cross border travel into some of these countries. Has anyone who has done similar got any tips or advice re.......a good rental company, the good, bad and ugly on such a route??? Would greatly appreciate any offerings out there.

Cheers
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:06 PM

My trip will be a little different than yours although I am just researching now. We will go from Budapest to Budapest through Croatia, Slovenia, Austria Slovakia, etc.
So far, from what I have found out, you must purchase or are given a cross border permit from the rental car company.
So my rental will not initiate in Austria.
My suggestion for you is to contact www.gemut.com. They have a lot of information on Germany and I believe have some knowledge of Austria rentals.
We are renting our car from www.economycarrentals.com.
Otherwise, I cannot really help you on the logistics of crossing the borders. Do you need to know how easy it is by car?
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:09 PM

How long is your trip? Maybe you can lease a car instead of renting one but then you would have to check in what city-country you can pick up and return the car.

We are planning a six week trip in March-April and are picking up our leased car at Munich Airport and traveling directly to Czech Republic, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria once again and returning the car at Munich airport and staying a few days in Munich before flying home. We could have returned the car somewhere else.

We have gone to Bosnia and Montenegro in a leased car with no problem. That time we picked up and returned the car in Rome (crossed from Italy to Croatia by overnight ferry).

Just make sure that the insurance covers the countries you are going to.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

We will take 5 weeks. Perhaps we could look at the Munich option as leasing does seem trouble free compared to rental.
Most rental companies (via broker)seem to quote competitively but on the eastern Europe question, information is only available upon collection of the car...........don't want that sort of nasty surprise
Good to hear that you have travelled in these parts with no problem. Our credit card offers an excellent insurance that we will have throughout the trip.
Happy travels and thanks for your advice
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips on car rental........I have put in a request to Gemut and economy will do cross border travel to most cental europe countries but not BiH or montenegro. Moving between countries is apparently no problem....just getting permission from car rental companies to travel to the full range of Balkan states is the problem.

cheers
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:05 PM

Autoeurope (http://www.autoeurope.com), while broker, rents and leases cars for travel to Eastern Europe. They cooperate with rental car companies in all major European cities. While you won't be able to rent any car you want (luxury cars are excluded) they will tell you upfront all cross border information you need. They will issue a voucher which you take to rental car company counter, and in exchange, you get car and cross border permit for entrance to all countries you requested.

You will have option to take their insurance or use insurance provided by your credit card company (if you have such credit card). Most of this information is available on their web site. There is also toll free phone number there to call their agents if you need more information.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way. Just satisfied customer for 10+ years.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip.........I'll give them a ring.
certainly is a maze of info to work through with the rentals. makes the lease look attractive but for us to get to a pick up drop off point just takes too much of our time.
cheers
Old Jan 28th, 2015, 11:02 PM

My husband and I are travelling this June to the Balkans. We are starting from Zagreb back to Zagreb. The plan is to drive all the way to Albania, and possibly Greece. I'm also having hard time getting info about crossing boarders. Thanks for this form. Please keep posting any info/tip you find about this subject. Thanks

Credit Card might not accept claims for damages if the car is rented from a broker and not a car agent. I not quite positive but it worth to check with the CC
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 10:56 AM

Sixt car rental allows crossing boarder. Detailed terms and conditions by country is at http://car-rental.sixt.com/php/terms...GB&style=typo3
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 11:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You registered and then posted and answer your own question . . . on a 5 year old thread . . .

If you actually want some current info/advice, you should start a new thread of your own.