Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

SLOVENIA -- Suggestions for getting there from East Coast.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are in the beginning stages of planning a 2-week trip to Slovenia & possibly Croatia the last 2 weeks in September. We have the options of flying from Boston, NYC or Montreal. Has anyone been successful in finding good air fares? We'll be renting a car so could drive into Slovenia from outside. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:30 AM
ira

Hi deb,

See www.kayak.com and www.mobissimo.com for airfare.

>We'll be renting a car so could drive into Slovenia from outside.<

Are you sure?

Check with the car rental company.

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:32 AM

We always fly into Frankfurt and just drive down to Slovenia (Piran). Most classes of rental cars are fine for Slovenia. Even though they are in the European Union now, there still are restrictions on "luxery" type cars. Its best just to ask the car rental company. Croatia may be another story. None of our previous rental cars have allowed us to go into Croatia, so we rented a separate car in Piran for our daytrips to Croatia. I have to admit I did not look too hard for a company that would have allowed us to do both in one car, but I'm sure there must me one (try Avis since that is who we rented from in Piran for a day). For getting there, any large airport nearby (Venice, Munich, Milan, etc would be OK. The roads into and in Slovenia are great and the drive there is beautiful.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:44 AM

debl,

We had planned to drive our rental car to Slovenia from Italy and were told by three companies that we could not take our mid-size car there. If anyone knows differently, please advise. Thanks.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 04:08 PM

I'm curious if you tried AutoEurope and asked them this question. We've never gone to Slovenia before, but we've taken rental cars into Romania, Poland, Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic and other countries that many companies typically do not allow their cars to go into. Typically AutoEurope has some suppliers who will let their cars go into the former Eastern Bloc countries. You might also want to try Nova out of Ireland.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 05:08 PM

julies,

DH did call AutoEurope and was told we couldn't take the car in. We have decided to call again and, hopefully, speak to another agent to see if we get the same answer.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:56 AM

I have used Nova for the last three years. This year an e-mail response came that I could not go into Slovenia, but I e-mailed them back with a request to recheck. They got back to me and said it was OK with the class car we where renting (a compact station wagon).
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Good point, Ira & others. I usually book the flight & then get the car rental through AutoEurope. This time perhaps I should check the car rental before making flight arrangements. We have had great luck with AutoEurope on all other trips & usually choose one of the smallest cars. Thanks also for the kayak & mobissimo sites. Will check them out. If anyone has made reservations for September, what is the lowest airfare you have found? Where will you be flying into & out of? Thanks everyone.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Olyman, If you don't mind me asking, what is your reason for flying into Frankfurt?
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 01:42 PM

I have had good luck with croatiatravel.com. They are currently advertising a special to Zagreb. If that rate is available in fall it would be convenient for you to travel to Slovenia from there.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Auto Europe also told us we would have no trouble taking a compact rental car from Hungary to Slovenia and Croatia in August.