Rental Car for Croatia/Slovenia/Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations for a car rental company for a rental car, picking up in Split, Croatia, driving into Slovenia (Bled) and dropping the car off in Trieste, Italy? Both Avis and Hertz allow this trip but for a 5 day rental, it is about $900 USD.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 02:25 PM

Unfortunately, you have priced a one way rental which is very expensive when picking up in one country and dropping off in another.
To the best of my knowledge, all agencies are going to sock you with a high tariff for this kind of rental.
Added to that you may have encountered some cross border problems because not all companies allow cars to be taken from EU to non EU countries without a cross border permit. Sometines they are provided free and sometimes not.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 12:55 AM

If you can cross the border to Slovenia to visit Lake Bled, then you might want to return the car back in Croatia near the border to Slovenia (in Umag, Novigrad, Porec, or even Rovinj). You can then take a bus to Trieste. That should save you a lot of money.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 02:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We did a similar trip but because of the varying costs of hire cars in different countries and also the high cost of one way rental, in the end we picked up a Hertz hire car in Trieste and drove down to Slovenia, into Croatia, back into Slovenia and dropped it back in Trieste. For us, it worked well. We did double check with Hertz that we could take the car into these other countries.

For Slovenia you need a vignette to drive on the main roads - it's a sticker you buy and put on the windscreen. There was a small shop selling them immediately over the Slovenian border. It helps to do some research and know what you want as no English was spoken but I pointed to a sign and got what we wanted.

Kay
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

I have leaning towards going with Hertz and take the advice of dropping off back in Croatia. The rate is fairly reasonable and came down considerably after calling AAA. Reading other forums, it seems it is "better" to go with the bigger car rental companies. I still plan to call Auto Europe for a price comparison as I have a recommendation from a good source.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:45 AM

you can check as well http://www.izzicarrental.com/carrent...rental-croatia. It is a broker proposing discount prices on lots of cars. I used this company for my trip around Slovenia and everything went well.
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:31 AM

we just got back from a croatia-slovenia-italy trip. it was also impossible to afford picking up a car in croatia and leaving it in italy. we therefor picked it up in Pula at the airport, drove to slovenia, and returned the car in Rovinj before taking a ferry boat to Venice. much easier AND cheaper. we used AMC rental and were delighted with the service.