Reload this Page >

Advice Varenna hotel: Albergo du Lac

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:24 AM
emily

Hello. I have done a search for this hotel, but am finding many posts on the du lac in Bellagio, not Varenna. And some posts it is hard to tell which hotel (Varenna or Bellagio) is being referenced. Can anyone provide advice about the du Lac in Varenna? I had hoped to stay at the Milano, but already booked. I have also emailed Olivedo, but no repsonse yet. Thanks in advance!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Julie

I think the du Lac in Varenna is very nice. It's around the walkway from the ferry harbor rather than directly there as the Oliveda is. It has a lovely garden with views over the lake and a very nice restaurant. I've eaten there but not stayed. I have, however, picked up a brochure. Rooms look modern, utilitarian, convenient and clean, the kind of orange bedspread, thing that dates to the 80s. It looks more open, airy and pleasant than the du Lac in Bellagio. I've kept their brochure as a potential place to stay in that area if our favorite Grand Hotel Menaggio should ever not be available when we go next. In short, the place looks pretty ok to me.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:05 AM
natasha

Emily,<BR>On the sign of the one in Varenna it was Hotel Du Lac, not Albergo du Lac.<BR>Maybe that will help. I walked by the hotel and it looked nice. <BR>I stayed at Albergo Milano. I also heard good things about Eremo Gaudia which is a bit outside town.<BR>I ate at Albergo Olivedo. It was a great meal. I mention this because I heard that depending when you go you have to get the half pension.<BR>Good luck.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Julie

emily, there is a new report on this site from beth about her trip to the Italian lakes. She stayed at the Hotel du Lac in Varenna and recommends it highly. Check out her report. Perhaps you can e-mail her and get some more information.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:36 AM
Julie

emily, beth's trip report that mentions Hotel du Lac in Varenna is entitled A week by the Lakes--Trip report

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Beth

You know, I think every town on each of the lakes has a Hotel Du Lac. I mean, I saw at least 5 on Como and Maggiore.<BR><BR>as in my trip report, you can tell I loved the Du Lac in Varenna. They serve breakfast and light lunch, no dinner. Be sure to eat at the Olivedo though. I had a little trouble getting an e-mail response when I booked the DuLac, in the end I called them up. All the girls who worked the desk seemed to speak English, so I don't think you will have any trouble talking to them over the phone.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:14 AM
sandra

not to confuse you, but i stayed at the olivedo and it was great. we had a room with a small balcony and the most amazing view. the woman who owns it, laura, speaks english very well if you need to call. she is so friendly and warm, we felt like we were visiting family! definitely have a meal there at least. the gnocchi with meat sauce is to die for! have a wonderful time!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Emily

Thanks for all the great advice! I feel much more confident now about booking. The du lac is about 30e more than the olivedo. We were guaranteed a room with a balcony at olivedo, but just lake view at du lac. I am leaning towards the du lac, but with Sandra's last comment about Olivedo, maybe I will sleep on it! Thanks to all!!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Barb

I loved the Olivedo. Laura is just wonderful. The food was some of the best I had on my trip to Italy last year. It is a budget hotel, but very charming. We had a little balcony with the most magnificant view. You indeed feel that homey atmosphere. Had lunch at the Hotel du Lac, which was just ok. The waiter was not very friendly. I would most definitely stay at Olivedo again.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Carole

I also loved the Olivedo. We stayed there the end of April and Laura couldn't do enough for us. She did put us on the third floor so it was 60 steps up and down again - I mention this because my husband had a knee replacement a few months ago. If you have a problem doing stairs, request a lower floor. There is no elevator. The hotel is clean and comfortable - especially if you are into antiques. Breakfast and a four course dinner came with our room. The time we went we paid $120 USD - well worth it. Plus the convenience of being right across from the ferry and the train around the corner was a definite advantage. We did take the train into Milan for the day. Happy Traveling!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Cindy

Well,,,,<BR>I just returned from three nights in Como and I wouldn't stay at Oliveda again, although dinner was good. It is noisy, Laura must have been having a bad week because she was very grumpy, ALL AMERICANS (no Italian spoken in the vicinity), and loud because of the car ferry. No T.V, no phone, dingy little towels, etc. It is a one-star hotel with a good lake view (but there are hundreds of hotels on the lake!). Small breakfast of just bread and coffee. If you like Italy and you want to hear the Italian language and the noise of Italian families, you won't find it here. Maybe before it was listed in Rick Steves and Karen Brown, but not anymore.<BR><BR>If you want to eat there be sure and get a reservation or you won't be given a table.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:22 AM
pat

When are you going? Northern Italy just had a heat wave. I sent friends to my favorite little hotel on Lake Como, not even thinking they have no a/c. Well, they about roasted, so that is one more thing to keep in mind.