Choosing a hotel in Varenna (Lake Como)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We recently made a reservation at Albergo Oliveda for 3 nights in early June 2007 - E170 for a double with lake view, half-pension (i.e. breakfast and dinner included, wine extra). Though the hotel's restaurant is reported to be very good, we would have preferred to choose our own restaurants - but this is not an option at this hotel in high season. I've subsequently heard from Villa Cipressi that they have a non-view double available at E125 (with breakfast only). This hotel looks gorgeous, but another forum says the non-view rooms are small and face a noisy street/courtyard. Which to choose? Is the price difference (E45) equal to what we'd pay for dinner for two (before drinks) in a reasonably nice restaurant in Varenna? Are we better to stay at the Olivedo - with the lake view, dinner incuded, or go for the more elegant Cipressi and its gardens, but a smaller non-view room?
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:33 AM

Assuming, and for whatever good reasons, all hotels in both Menaggio and Bellagio are out of the question i would ask how important that view might be to you.

If it is then I'd keep it.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM

We stayed at Albergo Olivedo in 2001, during the time that the World Trade Center was hit. The hotel is right on the water near the ferry landing, nice location. Free parking as I remember, and the meals were, indeed, good. We enjoyed eating the evening meal there just to hear Laura recite the menu. I wonder if she is still there?

After the WTC was hit, Laura was so kind to let us watch CNN in English to find out what was happening. I don't think that the rooms had TV.

We did walk around to the Villa Cipressi and went in to look at the gardens--that was nice too. We did eat one lunch meal on a day excursion to Bellagio which was an easy ferry trip from Varenna. Bellagio was much more crowded and had many shops. But if there, stop into the Visitor Center and pick up a walking tour map and do the purple tour (I think that is right) around the outskirts of the town.

Margo
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 02:07 PM

We stayed at the Olivedo in April 2006 and decided to take the dinners there. They were okay--mediocre really. Yes, you will have a view but the noise from the ferries does not end until midnight. Our room was decent size but in dire need of a redo and the beds are very uncomfortable--a thin mattress on an open spring thingy. Bed covers and linens were old and out dated. I cannot believe this is a Karen Brown recommendation. Breakfast is not good--fruit bowl was out one morning only--then it disappeared. The owner, Laura, is IMO, a rather strange person and I found her to be very unaccommodating. The entry/lobby reeks of cig smoke. I would not stay there again. As I said on a similar post my choice of hotel in Varenna on a future trip would be Hotel du Lac. Villa Capressi looked very nice and Eremo Gaudio(view w/o ferries) gets great reviews and looks good on their website. Look at Tripadvisor.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM

We stayed at Hotel du Lac in Varenna in 2004, in a room with a balcony directly over the lake. We loved the hotel, it's location, and also the breakfast on the terrace overlooking the lake. The hotel is modern but in a very warm, inviting way. We will stay there again if we return to Varenna
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 06:55 PM
hh

We also stayed at the Hotel Du Lac in May 2004. We can only say good things about the hotel. The room, staff, breakfast on the terrace was first class. We think it is the pick of the hotels in Varenna.

We also had a meal one night at Albergo Oliveda which we thought mediocre and the host Laura was unfriendly and not the least bit accommodating. It is situated right next to the ferry terminal, another reason we would not choose to stay there
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Another vote for the Hotel du Lac. The Oliveda would be too close to the ferry for me. We ate at the Villa Cipressi and thoroughly enjoyed the meal. The hotel looked good, at least the common areas were very pleasant. I think the rooms are a little basic, have a look on Trip Advisor I think someone has stayed there and made a comment. My choice, Hotel du Lac without a doubt. Ask for one of the larger rooms with the balcony if you want to splash out. The Hortensia room was our room, very pleasant. The bathroom was small, but very clean and great water pressure. Stay in a hotel where you can go to other restaurants for dinner, there are so many good ones. Try Vecchia Roma and Il Cavatappi.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:13 PM
kgw

Stayed at Villa Cipressi several years ago and got bed bug bites. The only room left was an upgrade room that the manager wanted me to pay to move to, I refused to pay the upgrade fee. He denied any problem with my room but the next day my old room was fumigated and sealed off. Would not stay there again.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another vote for the Hotel du Lac in Varenna.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:21 PM

And yet one more vote for Hotel du Lac. We had a large room with a huge private terrace overlooking the lake. Could not ask for more.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Does Hotel du Lac have air conditioning?

What about Villa Cipressi?

Thank you!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:52 AM

We had a lovely room at the Olivedo, and did not find Laura to be strange or unaccomadating....the view was great, and I don't recall any noises from the ferry...the bed was most comfortable...
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Too close to the docks for me---tons of traffic.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 11:18 AM

I didn't notice the ferry noise at all. We had a room that was at the far end of the Olivedo--third floor corner room with view to die for. I doubt whether there was AC. Bathroom was big and all marble, recently remodeled in 2001. Beds were the worst feature but have probably been redone by now. I found this photo on the web which shows the Olivedo is the background and the ferry in front.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/26060a/

Margo
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 11:29 AM

During the hours the ferries run there are hordes of people out in front of the Olivedo waiting for the ferry. It is definitely not a quiet hotel until really late. Beds were still awful in spring of 2006--hard as slabs.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 01:22 PM

The Olivedo had AC when we were there in 2004...
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 02:44 PM

I'm guessing that the Albergo Milano is already booked-up? Our room was one of the nicest of our trip, with thoroughly modern bathrooms - I was mesmerized by the door hardware & locksets, but I'm a geek. The hotel restaurant was also one of the culinary high-points of the trip, and when you consider the view rooms of any of the lake-side hotels, it was the trifecta. The Olivedo is very well-situated in town for the ferry, walks up the hill, etc. Ironically, my wife booked the Alb Milano while I was corresponding with Laura, or we may very well have stayed there - and likely had a great experience there, as well.