Lake Como & romance

Feb 24th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Lake Como & romance

Hi All:
We are a couple travelling to Lake Como as part of our Italy itinerary this summer and have a reservation at the Belvedere (in Bellagio) based on some positive comments on the board. I did the calculation with the Euro and found it quite $$. Is this hotel worthy of $375 a night for a deluxe room with a view? or shall I check out another romantic spot on Lake Como? Thanks.
Feb 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM

I think "worthy" is a personal distinction. I prefer to spend less on the hotel and more on food, excursions, etc. The Belvedere has the gorgeous views, but it is removed a bit from the center of town. This distance is not significant, but it's an uphill climb at the end of the day. In summer, you want a hotel with A/C, and the Belvedere has A/C. So, worthy to you?

I love the Florence which is at the bottom of the town, very near the ferry landings. It has beautiful views from some rooms but no A/C. It's restaurant is one of the better spots in town.

Another place we've stayed (and enjoyed the cost savings!) is an apartment in the middle of town. www.residencelalimonera.com. The apartments have A/C, there is a garden and parking, and there are views from the terrace.

In Varenna, we've stayed at the Hotel du Lac which has wonderful views. Whereas the views from the Belvedere, the Florence and Residence La Limonera are all to the north, the views from the du Lac in Varenna are west toward Bellagio and Menaggio. Mornings and evenings are just beautiful as you watch the ferries make their way across the lake. Varenna itself is generally quieter and less crowded than Bellagio. For some, that's more romantic.
Feb 24th, 2007, 06:15 PM

We stayed in the Hotel du Lac in Varenna for our anniversary trip. You are right on the water and the view... what more can I say .. fantastic. I would highly recommend Varenna and the Hotel du Lac. Request one of the rooms facing the water with a verandah, we had the Hortesia room, number 9 I think. Varenna is more quiet than Bellagio, which we actually preferred. It wasn't cheap but it certainly wasn't $375 a night. Also there are some great restaurants in Varenna and the ferry makes it very easy to get around the entire lake. you will love it there.
Feb 24th, 2007, 09:16 PM

Albergo Lenno in Lenno is one of the most romantic spots we've ever visited. I can't say enough about its attributes. The only "but" is that if you're looking for loud entertainment, Lenno is not the place for you: it's a tiny village, so your evening entertainment is a stroll along the lake, followed by a quiet drink at a bar overlooking the lake, followed by whatever that puts you in the mood for...

Heaven on earth.
Feb 25th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Val

Stayed in Como last September at the Hotel Metropole and it was great. Good price, fabulous location on the waters ege and the staff were the best. Saw the Belvedere from outside and its location is well outside Bellagio, up a steep hill so you would have to spend a lot of time there and miss out on being in the centre of Bellagio.

Personally I would rather stay in the centre, it is very quiet after 11pm and there are great restaurants, bars and when we were there a free concert.

Also you so are handy for the ferries, visit Villa Cipressi the gardens and views really are beautiful.
Feb 25th, 2007, 03:30 AM

My wife and I made the mistake afew years ago of booking the Belvedere, but after a little more research found the hotel Fierenze (Florence ).
It was absolutely beautiful--owned by the same family for almost 100 years---and they offered me a discount if I would pay with cash or travelers checks. We did, and received the discount--10-15 % as I recall.
Bellagio is beautiful and convenient.
Feb 25th, 2007, 03:32 AM

LucieV, we can hardly wait to be there in July!
Feb 26th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your comments. I think I will explore further before settling...
Feb 26th, 2007, 06:41 PM

We made a note to stay at the Belvedere our next visit to Bellagio. It's just at the upper edge of town and has better views because of its location. We did stay at the Florence and heard some noise from the street; it echoes off the stone.
Feb 27th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Mimar. It just shows there's a range of opinions on these things. What did you think of the Florence otherwise? The web site shows quite a romantic property....
Feb 27th, 2007, 08:15 AM

March 23, 11am EST PBS. Rudy Maxa is going to show Lake Como and I expect a card from u know who
Feb 27th, 2007, 02:21 PM

Moi??? But of course you will! Thanks for posting the tip about the show.

Enjoy looking for the perfect place and have a wonderful trip, annealex!