Spain (Madrid) Itinerary Feedback

Feb 26th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Spain (Madrid) Itinerary Feedback

DH and I are hoping to visit Madrid this fall and I could use some feedback on our itinerary. Right now, I'm trying to decide where to go and how much time to spend there. DH lived just outside of Madrid for four years as a child; this will be my first trip there.

We're what I consider slow(er) travelers and enjoy spending quality time in the places we visit. With that in mind, following is what I have sketched out for 10 days and nights (does not include travel days to/from Madrid).

I'm hopeful we can accomplish this by use of public transportation, preferably train as that is the mode of trans we are most comfortable / familiar with. (I need to take Bus 101).

Madrid - 4 nights
Segovia - 1-2 nights?
Toledo - 2 nights?
Madrid - 2 nights, to use as a base for day trips to Avila and Alcala de Henares

We were hoping to work in Granada but I'm afraid it would be too much of a squeeze.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Opinions?

Also, I would be interested to know of any advantages / disadvantages to making this trip in October versus November.

Thank you in advance, AnnMarie

Feb 26th, 2007, 06:21 PM
sjj

Toledo was worth seeing, but I don't think it's worth staying there overnight. If I recall, you can get there in about an hour by train from Madrid. As a second suggestion, if you do decide to go to Granada, get a reservation for the Alhambra well in advance.
Feb 26th, 2007, 06:31 PM

I think 6 nights in Madrid is too much. Mind you, I have stayed there as much but have done day trips to Segovia nad Toledo. The fall is a good time to go to the South as it will not be as hot as in the summer. Maybe you could do 6 days Madrid during which you could do day trips to Segovia, Toledo and Avila and the other 4 days in Sevilla/ Granada.
Feb 26th, 2007, 07:01 PM

AnnMarie,
We did a trip like this using public transportation and it was fabulous. I wrote all about it in my trip report--not sure if you could locate it or not. I'd suggest checking out the Paradores--www.parador.es.

I think a lot depends on your likes, but for me, Segovia and Toledo were amazing and while I'm a big artlover and loved the Prado and Sofia, Madrid wasn't my favorite place on the trip.

If you can work in the Paradores with this, it would be great. The one in Avila was built right into the wall and the garden was splendid.

We included Salamanca in this trip as well, which was very much worth it, but we had gone to Toledo on another trip. But it might be worth it for you as well since you'll be so close, you might be better off staying in Avila, then Salamanca rather than doing Avia and Alcala as day trips.

Happy planning. I'm sure you get some great tips here.
Feb 26th, 2007, 07:34 PM

I agree with sij. We did a day trip from Madrid to Toledo. Took the high speed train in the am and returned in the evening. I think it was about one hour each way. I am glad we did not spend the night there. I think one day was plenty. It was worth seeing but I don't think you need to get a hotel there. As for the other cities, I am no help. We flew on to Barcelona from Madrid and had a great time there as well.
Feb 26th, 2007, 08:50 PM

I agree about limiting time in Toledo.

The most memorable places of our trip to Spain were the Alhambra and the mosque in Cordoba. I would reduce time in and around Madrid so as to have time for those.
Feb 27th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback!

artlover, I have yet to find your trip report but in the meantime have found a lot (!!!) of useful information you provide others. I'll find it and further my education along the way.

Our interests sound similar so I'm curious to know how much time you spent in Toledo and Segovia. It appeared to me there is more than a days worth of sights in Toledo?

I am a little overwhelmed with all there is to see around Madrid and in southern Spain ...decisions, decisions...
Feb 27th, 2007, 05:23 AM

Hi AnnMarie:

Have you had a chance to read the Pedraza thread by EKSCruchy? It gives alot of helpful info. The flow of the itinerary may be something to consider there as compared to yours. You might consider the Segovia/Avia as one deviation of three days.
I would extend Segovia area at least one day depending on how much you want to see and do. I think you were wise to give the allocated time to Madrid.

Granada (and Andalucia in general) is terrific and excluding it this time does not men it is not worth visitinig. On the contrary it needs more time than you have. I have done in in 10 days, but felt rushed.

If DH lived in Madrid area as a child will you have a chance to go to that area? Sounds like a great time.

Regards and have fun

ams (Ana Maria Suarez)

Feb 27th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi ams,

The ekscrunchy thread sounds familiar--I have so many threads saved right now I'll need to refamiliarize myself with that one.

One of the reasons I've devoted so much time to Madrid is I don't want DH to feel rushed because, yes, we're hoping to re-visit the two areas where he lived between the ages of 8-12. Lots of beautiful photos and memories from that period in his life.

I am so excited by all there is to see and do but we do not like to rush and realize, as with so many places we visit, that we're not going to see it all in one trip.

Thank you for your input, AnnMarie
Feb 27th, 2007, 07:19 AM
kja

How much time to devote to various places depends so much on personal preferences about pace and what to see, but for what its worth, I spent 4 nights in Madrid, 1 night in Segovia, 1 in Avila, and 2 in Toledo. I know that many people visit Segovia, Avila, and Toledo as day trips, but I prefered seeing them at a slower pace and I enjoyed savoring their atmosphere after day-trippers had left. I found MORE than enough to keep me very busy in each location. (Yes, there is a lot to see in Toledo!) Granada is also wonderful, and WELL worth a visit. Hope that helps!
Feb 27th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

That helps quite a bit kja. We spent seven days in Rome and could have stayed longer but not everyone feels the same way--as you stated it's personal preference.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback--it helps more than you know.
Feb 27th, 2007, 02:42 PM

AnnMarie,
We LOVED our overnight in Toledo and were glad we did it. It was really magical at night. We stayed at Hostel Cardenal and that was very special, though I hear the Parador is special there too (though more difficult to reach with public transportation).

We only stayed in Segovia overnight and I easily could have spent more time there as well--it really took my breath away and I loved the Parador there (very modern).

I think you'd be wise saving Audalucia for another trip, as others have said. You'll have more than enough to do in Madrid and the nearby areas in the time you have, and you'll be back, I'm sure, as most of us Spain lovers can attest to!