Search

Spain Itineraey

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain Itineraey

Good day, all. Planning 9 nights in Spain in April 2017 and would be appreciative of input on our schedule. I know it's a lot of ground to cover in a short time but its the first time there for all of us so trying to get a good feel. Our flights are booked.

Flying into Barcelona - 3 nights
Early morning flight to Granada (haven't booked this yet) - 2 nights
Early Train to Córdoba -1 night
Train to Toledo - 2 nights
Last day and night in Madrid

Thoughts? Should we skip Córdoba and spend 2 nights in Madrid? Seemed like Córdoba was worth 1 night and it does split up the train ride from Granada to the Madrid area. Thanks for reading!
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 01:28 PM

Seems very rushed - especially after Granada - 2 nights in Toledo and part of a day in Madrid - I would take train to Madrid -do Toledo as a day trip - one less relocation of hotel saves a lot of time-plus I think to go Cordoba-Toledo by train you may have to go via Madrid- not sure but think so -

Toledo is small - I saw everything I wanted to on a day trip - yes nice at night probably but so is Madrid's Place Royale-Royal Palace area.

Madrid is a huge city not loved by all but all love enough there to spend a whole two days.

Cordoba to me is nicer than Granada as a city - exceptionally nice -for lots of great info on Spanish trains and why booking very early can save a ton - check www.renfe.es- Spanish Railways site;www.seat61.com - helpful advice on booking your own discount tickets and alternative sites if renfe.com does not work for you are many here says it does not for them; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 01:36 PM

Hi Nylle. First of all - you are going to LOVE Spain! We went last year and stopped in Barcelona for 4 nights. We could have used another night there, so that is a possibility if you want to take out Cordoba. If you are talking about getting into Madrid during the day and just staying that night I think you should add a night in Madrid, if only to take a breather before you head back home. Madrid is a very nice city with some good shopping and great restaurants. There is also the palace and the Prado to see. If you are not interested in any of the sights, then maybe a short day will suffice.
We did not go to Cordoba or Toledo, but instead chose to fly to Seville. You will probably get more info on those cities from other Fodorites and that will help you to make your decision.
Whatever you do, take time to walk the lovely streets and sit at a cafe. Enjoy!
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 03:12 PM

You don't have time to do it all, so I think you have wisely limited your choices. I still haven't made it to Cordoba, but everyone says it's a must see. I think the Alhambra is a must-see.

I'm sure you have researched what interests you, as it seems obvious from your itinerary.

If you are to return to Spain, Madrid will most likely be a part of that, because it's a major transportation hub, so you could think of spending more time in Madrid on another visit.

The cathedral in Toledo is a sight to see, but make sure you also see the town from a distance as this is how it looks best.
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We have thought about staying 3 nights in Madrid and seeing Toledo as a day trip. And yes, I do need to look more closely at the train schedules for sure.
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 03:37 PM

It will be tight no matter how you reshape it.

Granada is all about the Alhambra. If you really find a flight from Barcelona that gets to Granada before noon or so, then you can go straight to the Alhambra, spend the night, and go to Cordoba the next day. So - one night in Granada.

You have to book for the Alhambra, and in doing so you will be allocated a time slot for the palace - that is within the grounds of the Alhambra, and you must show up at the palace within the time window on your reservation. The rest you can visit and wander around at leisure.

So lock in your travel to Granada, then lock in your Alhambra reservation, then lock in your Cordoba travel. Do not miss Cordoba!
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 05:10 PM

Barcelona to Granada, I only see a Vueling non-stop at 7AM. Train to Cordoba, you need to book the one at 6:45AM:

https://www.trainline.eu/
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 05:18 PM
kja

Your plan is too rushed for my tastes, but if you just want to get an idea of what these places are like, it could work.

Cordoba’s Mezquita is, to me, one of the gems of the world. Do consider keeping your visit there. I spent 2 full days (about 48 hours) in Cordoba and didn’t run out of things I would have liked to see; others visit it for just a few hours. Your call.

If you are flying internationally, Madrid is probably one of the easiest places to reach – meaning one of the easiest for you to revisit. So much as I loved Madrid (and I did!), I think there’s a case to be made to spending only the night before your flight there so you can put more time into your other destinations.

Toledo is another place where I was glad to spend about 48 hours, although many people visit as a day trip. I must admit that I would have hated to miss roaming its streets at night, after day trippers had left!

And Granada is another place that holds one of what I consider a world’s treasure – the Alhambra. Try to plan on both a day visit (as much time as you can give it!) and also an evening visit to the Nasrid Palace. But Granada is also MUCH more than “just” the Alhambra. I kept happily busy for 2.5 days (3 nights).

If I might make a radical suggestion – consider skipping Barcelona this trip, visiting Sevilla instead. The time you have available is, IMO, better suited to Sevilla than Barcelona and you will maximize your ratio of time to actually see things to time in transit by making that switch. Just something to consider….

As you plan, keep in mind that many things in Spain are closed on Monday, and often for all or part of Sundays too; and many things in Spain will also be closed daily for a very long mid-day break.

No bad choices here -- just difficult ones!
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 07:23 AM

Yup skip Barcelona and add in say Seville or more time elsewhere on this trip?