One day tour of Athens

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day tour of Athens

I am looking for a tour which would leave the Piraeus Port to go to the Acropolis and National Museum? If not a tour, any ideas what a cab would cost from the port to the Acropolis?
I have been to Athens before, but stayed at a hotel. Will be on a cruise this time. Thanks for any info or suggestions. Thank you.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Take the subway from Pireaus to the Acropolis -- very easy and quick.

The NAM is reachable from, I think, the Omonia and perhaps Victoria stops, but not quite as convenient.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 05:44 PM

National Museum is definitely closer to the Victoria train stop (next one after Omonia).

IIRC, it's not actually the new modern "Metro" subway that runs near the National Museum.

Rather, it's the "Athens – Piraeus Electric Railways" , or "ISAP".
The (partly) underground train is the green line on this map:
http://www.ametro.gr/main/project/de...p_big_down.jpg
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 05:50 PM

also-
that map is easier to view if you first download it to your local harddrive, then you can enlarge it to any magnification you desire with your PC's image viewer.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the tip on downloading the map and then being able to magnify it. Very clever.

We will be doing the same thing in October.

Debbie
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 07:15 AM

If you get out at Omonia or Victoria, it will seem very much like a subway. All the lines, new and old connect seamlessly.

In fact, a lot of modern Metros run both above and below ground. Although the cars are older and the doors aren't as forgiving, the trip from Piraeus to the Acropolis, Omonia or Victoria stops whould be similar to taking the Washington Metro from National Airport to Smithsonian -- starting above ground and ending in an underground station.

I recommended Omonia over Victoria because if you're a one-day visitor, the route from Omonia Square is more direct and easier while only a few blocks longer, plus it's easier to catch a cab there. I think a quick cab (especially on a hot day) is the way to go.

Also, if you get the one-day transit pass (3 or 4 euro) you can ride the subway and all transit all day. (Just remeber to validate). If you have this pass you can easily catch a bus to the NAM from Omonia -- while you can't from Victoria.

BTW, if you get the pass you can also explore th beach areas of Glfyada, an overlooked area with some fun dining spots.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 02:49 PM

There is a HOP ON HOP OFF bus in Athens that will take you to the attractions. It is worth it for a day