Reload this Page >

Arrive CDG/Giverny/Rouen-toomuch first day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:04 PM
Gary

I wonder if this is too much to do in one day, since at this point in our lives we take things at a slower pace.<BR>We'll arrive at CDG at 7:30 am & will pick up our car. Not having driven out of CDG before I'm not sure what sort of an ordeal that will be. We intended to head straight to Giverny, visit & then stay there overnight & then leave for Rouen for the day & stay one night. That way we are doing 2 one nighters. Would it be better or too much to pick up the car, visit Giverny & then drive on to Rouen & stay there the first night. Then we will have the whole day there & stay over. <BR>Just concerned with jet lag & age if this is too much or would the two one nights be just as bad?<BR>What is your opinion?

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:19 PM
Shannon

Gary,<BR>The answer depends on how much time you are in the air, so where you're coming from is important to answer the question. If you're coming from the West Coast, you'll just be able to pick up the car and get somewhere close before you totally collapse. Even from the East Coast, I think you're pushing it. I don't think you will enjoy it. For example, a few years ago, we flew from LAX to Zurich, hopped on a train to Luzern (a short distance), then after unpacking took a trip up to Mount Pilatus (boat & cog train). We all fell asleep on the ride up. Our group of sleepers included one six year old, two 41 year olds, and one 64 year old.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:34 AM
Gary

We're leaving from New York, JFK.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:49 AM
Sue

I'm amazed at stories I hear from friends who hit the ground running and seem to do just fine with a hefty itinerary the first day. I seem to do better with a short nap before starting out. So, just as with so many aspects of travel, it depends upon the individual. (Also, I wonder if it depends upon how much sleep one can get on the plane; I tend not to be able to sleep)

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:56 AM
elvira

Pick up the car, drive to Giverny, check into your hotel...then see how you feel. Giverny is pretty laid back, so a leisurely stroll through the gardens and house won't be too much, but if you've already checked into your hotel, you can go back and collapse when you hit the wall. If you need to, sleep in the next morning before driving to Rouen.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:07 AM
Debbie

Gary-my daughter and I TRIED to do this trip 3 weeks ago.........Hertz people said that it would only take about 30 minutes to use ring road around and through Paris(I had disagreed but was told I did not understand Paris?).We hit rush hour at around 830am,one and a half hours later-car is engulfed in small fire and tons of black smoke and totally stops in 3rd lane of traffic. Well, the "Cliff Note" version is that that we missed Rouen and Giverny altogether and FINALLY ended up in Le Havre that night(after being up over 33 hours) at 9pm after taking the train.I realize that my situation was unusual but I would warn you that CDG/Paris traffic would be difficult even if you were not sleep deprived but after flying all night-no way for that kind of itinerary.(I have traveled alot and have always driven when I have gotten off the plane but this was somehow VERY different-people drive totally crazy in Paris rush hour.)My recommendations would be to take the train to Rouen and pick car up there-the scenery from the train is wonderful!I think that no matter who you are-most people need a nap or a slower pace after flying all night?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:32 AM
Judy

Have you considered taking train to Rouen(only one hour from Paris),spending 2 nights over there(instead of packing,unapcking every night),and drive or take train(20 minutes from Rouen)to Vernon the second day? I believe it would be more relaxing.<BR><BR>I stayed in Rouen 3 nights last month,it is a delightful city with many interesting museums and good restaurants.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:30 AM
Gary

It just seemed so much more logical to get the car at CDG & then on to Giverny & the next day Rouen. After that we're going to Normandy & Brittany for 11 slow days so I don't want to back track to Giverny or have to get the train out of CDG. We'll drop the car off in Brittany & take the TGV into Paris where we'll be for 4 nights.<BR>Maybe we should just add second night in Rouen after the night in Giverny?? <BR>But this does get to be a long trip.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:33 PM
Sherri

Hi Gary:<BR><BR>It can be done. I have done it and will be doing a similar trip this Saturday (arriving at CDG around 10:00 AM). We are heading straight to Giverny. It takes about an hour to an hour and a half from CDG. The toll road from Vernon to Rouen takes about an hour. If you are not leaving until after May 1, I can send you our driving times.<BR><BR>By the time you collect your bags and pick-up the rental car, Paris rush hour traffic should not be too terrible. <BR><BR>PLMK if you need more detailed information and have a great trip!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:26 PM
Gary

I'm new at this. What is PLMK?<BR>Thanks for replying.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:23 PM
Betsy

Don't know if this helps but. I'll be in Rouen for 2 nights in July. On the full day I'm there, I'm going to Giverny and then back to Rouen for the afternoon. The next day I head toward Normandy. I think training it to Rouen is a good idea. You can take a taxi to the station and will be in Rouen in no time and can rest while you're on the train. Picking up a car in Rouen is really easy, while parking in Rouen can be expensive. I'm not so old, and I do travel from the west coast, but I'm ready to kill when I get off a long flight because I'm so tired. I usually meet my travel companions once I'm there. Good thing too, or I don't think they'd travel with me were they to experience my just-arrived-am-tired, hungry-grumpy self. Driving any distance in a foriegn country would be out of the question.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:31 PM
beth anderson

Gary, <BR><BR>A few years ago we did something kinda similar. We picked up the car in Paris, but my flight was later & I was waiting for a friend to arrive from Barcelona - he didn't even get to the airport until 10 AM. <BR><BR>Then on to Giverny, with a side stop at Les Andelys (DON'T miss it, it's cool, and maybe 8 miles away from Giverny).<BR><BR>then we drove straight to Caen. which is likely a little closer than Rouen, but, it's entirely possible. <BR><BR>Depends on whether you are the sort who likes to press on until you get to your destination & then stop, or take your time. it really didn't seem rushed as I recall, either. <BR><BR>Beth

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:47 PM
DebF.

Beth, what is (in?) Les Andelys?

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Sherri

PLMK means please let me know.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:37 AM
Don

Beth, what is Les Andelys?<BR>Thanks for more details

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:26 AM
John B.

Hi: My wife and I did this same trip several years ago. My advice is going to Giverny after a flight from NA is more than enough. The traffic, fast drivers, unfamilar roads and jet lag do not add to a safe cominbation.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:39 AM
David McCahan

The advice you were given about going to Giverny and checking into your hotel early, then going out, makes great sense if the hotel is expecting you. Even if they aren't, many people are so wired that they can run for hours on that alone. <BR><BR>Instead of worrying about Paris traffic, consider doing this: go north from CDG to Chantilly (only 18 miles), take a quick spin around the place and, if you are up to it and they're open, visit the Stables which are, to us, the highlight of the place as opposed to the chateau. The guy who built them thought he was coming back as a horse and outfitted them appropriately.<BR><BR>Then, take the back roads over to Giverny using any good map. You avoid the hassle of Paris ring road traffic and get to see some very pretty countryside where, if you get tired, you could pull into a layby and get a few minutes rest.<BR><BR>Sleeping late the following day before heading to Rouen sure sounds like a good recovery plan to me. <BR><BR>Enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 02:30 AM
Father

David <BR>I like your idea of avoiding the Paris ring road. From all the posts we read here I thought there was no other way to go to Rouen but to get on a ring road. Would you please give me more details how to get to this road that took you to Chantilly? We would prefer to rent a car in CDG and return to the same location but are open to suggestions. Thank you

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:33 AM
David McCahan

There are numerous options for getting to Giverny from Chantilly. My mapping program told me the distance between those points is just over 56 miles if I go through Beaumont-sur-Oise, Marines, and Char. <BR><BR>The Michelin Map #237, Ile-de-France, has all of these towns on it and, in fact, goes as far as Rouen. Trying to do the backroads without a good map might be a little frustrating. The roads are generally fine, the signposting maybe not so. <BR><BR>Send me an e-mail if you need specific routing as there are numerous options.<BR><BR>David