Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

France CDG Novotel @ airport...tried it anyone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2015, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
We get in to CDG at 0630 with children so thinking we get a hotel room and recover before getting into a rental car! Has anyone tried this Novotel? Trying to decide if we get rental car and drive away from Paris or hunker down & recover.
Thanks!
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I stayed there once when arriving late at night from Nairobi and flying back to SFO in the morning. But how long would you need to recover? You don't plan on staying a whole day and night out by the airport, do you? That would be pretty dull.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 10:41 PM

If you are going very far, take the train there and pickup a rental car the following day.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 11:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>If you are going very far, take the train there and pickup a rental car the following day.<<

Bingo!

Why spend the half of your first day in a boring airport hotel Take the train to your first destination and spend the day car-less, walking around, recovering, eating well, resting - ad get your car on Day 2.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 03:48 AM

IF the train leaves from CDG--DEFINITELY. They don't going to Normandy, for example.
For sure if you are going to Provence==but you'll arrive latish. But ....

Where are you going the next day?
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I really was trying to compromise with travel companions but I was rather dreading the stay. We are bound for our gîte in the Loire Valley. Originally I had wanted to train to Tours then rent there the following day. We return to Paris from Brittany so that was the biggest objection to the car rental in Tours.
Maybe we can return the car in Chartres?
We have two children in tow so the CDG Novotel sounds like a possible big mistake. Thoughts?
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 10:14 PM

Why is returning to Paris from Brittany cause a problem for renting from Tours? Are you staying in Paris upon your return? That would affect suggestions for where to return the rental. If the objection to renting in Tours is one way rental fees, generally, except for Hertz and Avis, one way rentals are fee-free, although I did recently hear that one of the French car rentals companies sometimes charges 30 euros for a one-way rental.
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 02:59 PM

If you do decide to stay at the Novatel at CDG, it is fine. We stayed there our last night in Paris before an early morning flight. We being two adults and two teens. Definitely convenient and plane noise was not a problem.
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 04:14 PM

I would be surprised if you could check in to the hotel that early in the morning. You should check before you book.