Hotel du Lac in Varenna

Aug 31st, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Hotel du Lac in Varenna

I have requested a room at the Hotel du Lac in Varenna but have not heard back from them yet. I can't seem to find out if it is air-conditioned. Since it is my 25th wedding anniversary, I would like to make the stay extra special. Any advice on the room or restaurants in Varenna or Bellagio that would be romantic and memorable?
Aug 31st, 2006, 03:04 PM

We stayed at Hotel du Lac in Varenna for 3 days in late May of 2003, at the beginning of that summer's extremely hot weather. It was air-conditioned, and very nice.

Our favorite restaurant in the area was Il Cavatappi, a tiny 5-table place up an obscure alley not far from the hotel. It was recommended by the bartender at du Lac, and we enjoyed it very much. Just the quirky Chef/owner and hostess/waitress, very good food .. .their risotto with smoked mozzarella is still the best rice dish I've ever had.

Though some on this board have also recommended the restaurant at Hotel Olivedo, we did not like it at all. The food was mediocre at best, over-priced, and the hostess/owner, Laura, was downright nasty. I was trying to figure out what we had done to her, maybe some transgression in a past life that I didn't remember. But after reading some of the comments about her on Trip Advisor, I've come to the realization that she is just not a very nice person.

But that dinner was truly the only negative experience of our stay in Varenna, you will love Lake Como.
Aug 31st, 2006, 09:05 PM

Ah, another Laura story... She tends to make up her mind about people on first sight, and then nothing else matters. We've had decent meals at the Hotel Olivedo, but I usually don't recommend it except at the end of the season when most Varenna and Bellagio restaurants are on reduced schedules.

The du Lac does indeed have A/C and a view from its terrace that I think is one of the nicest in the mid-lake area.

I also can recommend Il Cavatappi in Varenna and highly recommend the Bilacus in Bellagio, especially on the outdoor terrace. Reservations strongly recommended. Sleeping in Varenna and dining in Bellagio, however, require careful attention to the ferry schedule and the clock. Don't miss the last boat!
Aug 31st, 2006, 09:41 PM

We stayed at the Du Lac last September and did not need any A/c but as you have found from other posters it is available. The hotel was fantastic, we had a large room with a huge balcony/verandah, try and ask for one of these rooms. Ours was called the Hortensia Room. We also ate at Il Cavatiappi (try and reserve in advance - they do have a web page) it was the best experience. We tried to book in for another night but they were all booked up. We also ate at the Vechia Roma on the water's edge. It has changed hands over the past couple of years and we found it to be very good. The service was excellent by young switched on staff and the food was delicious - everything we ordered. Would recommend both of these restaurants, we also ate one night at the Villa Cipresi - up the road a bit from the du Lac. A more formal setting, but equally enjoyable food. You will love it in Varenna, it was our 20th anniversary so we also wanted that "special" experience, boy did we get it.!!! Still raving a year later.
Sep 1st, 2006, 04:23 AM

After reading Larry's post I had to go to trip advisor and add my review of Olivedo. Would never stay there again. Laura is a very strange woman indeed. She reminds me of a Mother Superior of a convent. DH selected this hotel for our stay in early spring and did not look at Trip Advisor. We assumed that since the Olivedo was a Karen Brown recommendation it would be nice. No one in the KB camp has visited this place in years. Our room was shabby with a view. But overlooking the ferries is not the ideal view. We chose Varenna because of train travel and would return but next time it will be Hotel du Lac for us.