Advice re Berlin hotels, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2018, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Berlin for 5 days in October and it's our first visit there so I'm really unfamiliar with the city and its various neighbourhoods. From another thread here, I believe I'd like to be in the Charlottenburg or Prenzlauerberg areas and/or Savigny Platz.
Can anyone recommend a good hotel in one of these neighbourhoods? We'll be coming there from London where we'll be staying in a good hotel near Marylebone High Street for the good rate of $230CDN a night. I'd like to be around that price in Berlin too, if I can (I believe that's about 150 euros). We do want a hotel, not a B&B or flat.
Many thanks.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 04:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Enjoy Berlin! Wish I could help but lately we have been staying near Potsdamer Platz/near B-burg Gate so cannot recommend hotels. We leave for the city next weekend ourselves and will look forward to your trip report.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 06:51 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We found hotels in Berlin to be more reasonable than in other cities in Europe.
We stayed near Charlottenburg but not at a similar price point. Very nice area.Use booking.com to narrow down your choices.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Oh well. Thanks anyway.

I hope you post a Berlin trip report, Dukey. I found your Bologna advice excellent.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 02:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful but I do second the idea of using Booking.com which has a lot of filters. As to my own report, this trip is going to be rather opera performance-heavy I am afraid with five in Berlin, two in Paris, two in Zurich, and three in Verona. we are doing a Venice daytrip this time around but that is mainly to buy some textiles which I wish we had bought the last time and didn't. We end in Madrid despite everyone telling us, repeatedly, that we should be going back to Barcelona instead. So, I am very familiar with the "Oh well. Thanks anyway" kind of feeling.

Best wishes to you.
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 03:51 AM

Since I live in Berlin, I cannot give much advice on hotels as I do not need or use them.
Just some generic remarks: districts like Pankow-Prenzlauer Berg or Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf are quite huge.
Also hotels which are in the less fashionable or more residential neighborhoods with fewer dining options nearby usually advertise themselves with the more fashionable district name.
I'd always suggest to look up the address with Google Streetview and do a virtual stroll through the neighborhood before booking.

Otherwise it depends on your personal preferences, e.g. how close should there be many restaurants, bars and eateries.
I'd always stay as close as possible to a subway or S-Bahn station and would not want to rely on buses only. But tastes differ a lot, and while I may find it an unnecessary inconvience to walk 10 minutes to the subway, others will love the long walk through a quieter residential area.
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 07:11 AM

In 2014 we stayed in a hotel in Mitte, about 10-min-walk to the east from Potsdamer Platz, and near the intersection of Leipziger Str & Friedrichstrasse. But I would recommend a hotel in the "Potsdamer Platz / Mall of Berlin" area, which was very bustling and prosperous with many eating options and was also a transportation hub.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cowboy and Reading. We don't mind a walk but would like it to be though an interesting neighbourhood. I've just posted a question about the Hotel Arcotel John F. Here's the link.
Any comments on this Berlin hotel -- Arcotel John F? - Fodor's Travel Talk Forums
Any comments you have about the hotel would be appreciated but I'm even more interested in your take on the neighbourhood. The hotel seems to be not too far from Potsdamer Platz, the Brandenburg Gate, the opera house, the Reichstag, etc.
(As far as restaurants go, coffee shops for the morning would be handy, but now that I give it some thought, we're usually out of our hotel area for lunch and dinner.)
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 05:10 PM

Don’t know if an apartment hotel is of interest to you but we really liked this location, many restaurants and cafes, bus connections and U-Bahn.

https://www.adinahotels.com/hotel/be...n=googleplaces

It’s close to Museum Island and walkable to many tourist sites.
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

thanks, wunderbar, but I've now booked the Arcotel John F.
And thanks to everyone else for their input too.