Accomodations in Bruges

Search

Accomodations in Bruges

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accomodations in Bruges

We are visiting Bruges this June and are looking for someplace unique to stay. We found a castle hotel called Castle ten Berghe. Is anyone familiar with this hotel? The website looks beautiful, but it's a little bit outside of the town (2 km).

Thanks for any insight.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Two years ago my husband and I stayed in a wonderful, quaint boutique hotel in Bruges (right in town, walking distance to everything) called Romantik Pandhotel (I think their website is: www.pandhotel.com). I checked out the other hotels while we were there, and I definitely liked this one best. Of our eight stops on this trip, Bruges was probably my favorite; not to be missed. Have a great time!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 04:55 PM

I don't think you want to stay outisde of town in Brugge. The town is very small and quiet, and unless you dearly like the idea of staying in a castle, you will find that many hotels in Brugge are housed in marvelously atmospheric, authentic buildings centuries old.

I had a very pleasant stay at the Hotel Jan Brito, and its breakfast lives in my memory as one of the best I've had in my European travels.

The time you would spend getting in and out of Brugge would be better spend exploring the areas near the river, where tourists seldom go but which are classically Belgian and very charming that way.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 12:50 PM

We have stayed in Brugge on four occasions and have some recommendations. How many nights do you plan to stay there?
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM

I am not sure I would describe Brugge as quiet but certainly agree with staying in town. Check out Hotel Egmond - reasonable, elegant, quaint, central, gracious hosts, lovely rooms, quiet locale, wonderful breakfasts
www.egmond.be
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 06:35 PM

We had a marvelous stay in a lovely, large apartment in Brugge. It's in a historic house on a cobblestone street, just 2-3 blocks from the main Markt square. We were there for a week, but they do accept shorter bookings. The pleasant English-speaking owners live next door. One of the joys of a visit to Brugge is just strolling around gazing at the amazing architecture, canals, candy shops, etc. I think you would miss this if you stayed outside town. We enjoyed "living like locals" while we were there. Although we ate at some of the restaurants, it was also fun to pick up food at the local markets and delis. The apartment is called De Drie Koningen; the website is www.kanthuisje.com

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 06:41 PM

Sorry, that seems to be the website of the owners lace shop instead of their apartments. Do a google search for
De Drie Koningen Brugge and you can view the apartments.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the recommendations, we will certainly look into all of your suggestions. From the sound of things, (and being that we will be keeping active in our three days there)staying in town is the ideal way to go.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:13 AM

My list of favourite hotels in Brugge:
1. Oud huis de Pelleart
2. Hotel Orangerie
3. Pandhotel
4. Die Swaene
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:14 PM

We are staying at Number 11 B&B in Brugges at the end of May. Everything that I've heard about it seems to be great.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 03:56 PM

Another endorsement for Drie Koningen, though they have strict policies on what nights they accept arrivals...meaning for a 3 night stay, you need to arrive on a Fri and leave on Monday.

However, it is FABULOUS. We stayed in apartment Sint Donaas several years ago, and my parents rented Carmers just this past Christmas. Carmers was awesome (we rented a different flat a block away but spent all our time at Carmers). It's very new, modern, spacious, and beautifully decorated. It's also on the top floor of a very steep staircase, so keep that in mind.

The best part about the apartment? Each day, you could order fresh pastries for the next day using the computer (with internet access) in the entryway of the apartments. You had to order by 8:00 p.m. The next morning, your pastries and fresh bread are delivered via bicycle courier and left in the basket of your apartment. The bakery was fantastic and very reasonable (some under 1Euro)...our bakery bill was added to the room bill upon checkout.

Here's the webite:

http://www.kanthuisje.com/d3kon/e/e_appcarmers.htm
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:42 PM

Tom W.:
As Robjame says above..it's the Hotel Egmond, hands down. We love the location and have sent our friends and family there over the past three years....it has it's own gardens, is on a private driveway, just steps away from one of Brugge's prettiest squares, and also the Beguinage and the delightful Minnewater (The Kissing Lake). It's less than a tem minute walk to the Gross Markt, alongside the canal system. Please consider it....the price is "right" (120E's for a garden view), too, and the breakfast complete and excellent.
Stu T.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:50 PM

Another vote for the Egmond. We stayed there in 2001 and enjoyed the inn and the location. In 1996, we stayed at the Hotel Jacob, about a ten minute walk north of the main square. We also enjoyed staying there.

You can read my trip report and see photos at http://www.travelswithdiane.homestea...ip2001pg1.html
You may want to skip if you don't have high-speed internet as I did not know a lot about the correct way to save photos when I created this section. The other sections should open quickly.