Reload this Page >

Brussels or Brugge????

Search

Brussels or Brugge????

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 11:43 AM
cherie

Brussels or Brugge????

We are staying a week in Belgium and have reserved a room at the Royal Windsor. Now I'm wondering if we should be staying in Brugges instead? Should we change to a hotel in Brugges? We were going to use Bruseels as a base and do lots of day trips. What hotels are good in Brugges? Thanks

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Patrick

Although I tend to be a big city lover, I would choose Brugge over Brussels any day. it is a great and charming town, and easy to use as base for Belgium as well. Do a search (very recent posts) on Brugge hotels right here. The Prinsenhof, Die Schwaene, and Romantik Pandhotel are three of the top small ones we've recently discussed at length.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Nancy

Just read the prior response and agree completely with the writer. Stay in Brugges. Everything is close in Belgium. It's a loverly country.<BR><BR>I haven't stayed in any bad hotels, but we tend to stay in rural areas, it's much cheaper and quite nice.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Patrick

I forgot to list this great website of Brugge hotels -- most with direct links to the hotels for booking direct:<BR>www.hotels-belgium.com/brugge/hotels.htm

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 01:13 PM
candace

My husband and I just returned from Europe where we spent 4 nights in Brugge. I, too, agonized over whether to stay in Brussels or Brugge before we left and I must say that after our daytrip to Brussels, I would have kicked myself if we had chosen to stay there over Brugge. The city of Brussels is very large and somewhat dirty and congested compared with the small, lovely, and romantic flavor of Brugge. We stayed at the Prinsenhof and had a large deluxe room w/ a king bed and large bathroom (w/ two sinks, a tub and separate shower). We checked out the Die Swanne and Romantik Panhandle (since I had also researched those hotels) but were pleased with the location of the Prinsenhof over the other 2. The Die Swanne and Panhandle are nearer to the canals, but also nearer to the tourist area and noise; you can escape that at the Prinsenhof. The Egmond was also quite charming. You can get to any of the other daytrip cities from Brugge; the train system is very good and clear. Do yourself a favor and choose Brugge!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 02:07 PM
hatebelgians

How 'bout NEITHER. I stayed in Brugge for a week (with a local) and found the people to be EXTREMELY rude wherever I went (the people behind the glass at the train station, restaurants, shops, etc.) I am fluent in French, English and German, and yet people pretended like they didn't understand what I was saying. (I am understood perfectly in France, Germany, etc.) I was definitely ready to leave. Give me the supposed "rude" people of Paris ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 02:47 PM
xxxx

OK, someone speaks French, goes to France and is understood. Then goes to Germany and speaks German and is understood. But goes to Belgium and doesn't speak their native language (Flemish) and is furious because they don't understand her. Yea, that makes a lot of sense.<BR>There are Germans who come to our town in the US and when no one understands them they try Spanish or Italian and also become irritated because no one understands them. Sounds the same to me.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 02:52 PM
belgian

Hatebelgians: I'm very glad you're never coming back. Good riddance. To state "hate Belgians" shows you have an attitude problem. Actually the way you refer to your host simply as "a local" instead of something like "a belgian friend" or "a family from Brugge" confirms it.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:06 PM
xxxx

I once traveled with a friend of mine to France thinking it would be great because she speaks French and I don't. She had the worst attitude I've ever seen. She approached everybody with a chip on her shoulder and made a big deal of speaking their language, which people seemed to have a bit of a problem with. She couldn't understand why they were being rude to her, when she was the one acting superior because she knew how to speak their language. You sound just like her "hatebelgians" except that you seem to exhibit that same attitude even though you couldn't speak their language. There is an obvious reason they were rude to you.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:15 AM
hatebelgians

To all of you who obviously missed the point --<BR><BR>One would think that a town like Brugge would cater to tourists. Tourism brings in money to the community, and creates jobs. No, I do not speak Flemish. (How many of YOU do?) I would start out speaking English. When that didn't work, I would try French, and then I would try German. French IS one of the official languages in that country, although I do know that Brugge is in the Flemish portion of the country. I would bet that all Belgians are taught French in school.<BR><BR>And Brugge is extremely charming in its appearance. It's too bad that they are so hostile. Let's face it, some places cater to tourists, and some places don't. I have traveled the world and I am very polite to people in other countries. The difference between Belgium (or at least Brugge), and France is like the difference between Zambia and Zimbabwe. One country welcomes tourists. The other doesn't.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:28 AM
janied

Don't rule out Ghent....beautiful town, canals...less touristy....people were great as well as the dining.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:34 AM
xxxx

You are right, hatebelgians, and I still miss your point. I have stayed in Brugge several times and always found them extremely attentive to tourists and very friendly. I don't speak any languages other than English and had no problem. Sure, sometimes I had to repeat myself or speak more slowly. I can still only assume that you displayed a "chip on your shoulder" attitude and insulted them by nearly insisting that it is all their fault if they have trouble understanding you. You are the foreigner, not they, so it is clearly your problem not theirs. I find it hard to believe that you weren't the cause of the rudeness -- since from personal experience I have never noticed anything even remotely like that in Brugge. You clearly had a different feeling towards Belgians than I, so it is only logical that what you get in return from them is different from what I get.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:05 AM
susan

Well said, xxxx, that was one of your more brilliant posts.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:25 AM
belgian

Hatebelgians: <BR>"To all of you who obviously missed the point".<BR>you did it again. The "I know everything, and you people are all ignorant" attitude. The least you could do is change your alias to "hatebrugge" from "hatebelgians". I don't know where you're from, but I for one would never say "I hate Americans" because a waiter at TGIF, IHOP or the receptionist at the Waldorf for that matter were in a p.... mood the day I met them.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:55 AM
LoveBelgians

Returning to Cherie's original question, Brugge over Brussels any day. Brussels is a business town. The old town is interesting but I think you can find one just like it in other places. Brugge is beautiful, historic and a great place to go back to at the end of the day. Belgians are great and they make wonderful beer!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 12:35 PM
BTilke

As someone who lives in Brussels, I'd recommend making Brugge your base as well. There is a lot to see in Brugge and it is special to be there at night after the day trippers have gone home. If you can fit it into your schedule, visit Ieper (Ypres) for the In Flanders Fields WW I museum. Extremely moving and since the museum is only a couple of years old, it's full of innovative, interactive exhibits. All the exhibits have English explanations. <BR>For someone who is visiting Brussels and wants to do something different, preferably in the country, I highly recommend taking the #366 bus out to the Chateau de la Hulpe (30 minutes from Brussels). It's a pretty little castle (built in the 19th century but modeled after a 17th century Loire valley chateau) set on 500+ acres of beautiful grounds. Entrance is free (bus fare is $2 each way). Woods, meadows, gardens, lakes, trails for walking, biking and horseback riding. A nice little cafe serving drinks and light meals and an interesting museum about the artist Folon (actually it's a "Foundation" rather than a museum, but feels the same). A wonderful place to spend a sunny morning or afternoon enjoying the fresh air and scenery. This is a locals' secret--you will definitely be far from the tourist crowds! La Hulpe itself is one of the nicer small towns outside of Brussels and has several nice shops and restaurants.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:07 AM
alice

I stayed at the Royal Windsor, and it is in a good location, close to the center of the old town of Brussels. However I would stay in Brugges, I loved it. If you are using public transportation two warnings if having your home base in Brugges: 1. Check the schedules

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:08 AM
alice

I stayed at the Royal Windsor, and it is in a good location, close to the center of the old town of Brussels. However I would stay in Brugges, I loved it. If you are using public transportation two warnings if having your home base in Brugges: 1. Check the schedules so you do not have to wait a long time because there are not as many stops in Brugges as in Brussels. 2. Food, shopping, etc. in Brugges is like in most small towns and in the evening there is not much choice. Have fun and enjoy both cities.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:32 PM
pete

I'm with everyone else who recommends staying in Brugge instead of Brussels. While in Brugge, go to t'Brugs Beertje. They have hundreds of Belgian beers--delicious. You can eat there or across the street at a restaurant called "The hobbit". It's popular with the backpacking/hostel crowd, and they have decent all-you can eat ribs (dry rub style, not BBQ style), with salad etc. You'll have a great time in Brugge. We found the people to be friendly, and almost all spoke English (which was good since I speak barely any French, no dutch or flemish).

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:34 PM
pete

Also, I think I read in one of my guidebooks that it may be insulting to people who live in Flanders to speak french. That it is better to try English rather than French if you don't know Flemish or Dutch. Is this true? If so, maybe that's why hatebelgians got such a chilly reception.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -