Bruges / Brugge Advice

Search

Bruges / Brugge Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Bruges / Brugge Advice

Planning a trip the first part of June 2006.

We expect to arrive in Brussels at 9:45PM and train directly to Brugge arriving close to midnight.

Sleep over in Brugge 2 nights and train to Amsterdam in the evening of the 2nd day in Brugge.

We'd like to spend our time just wandering around the town. Museums are not a priority.

Since we'll be arriving by train quite late and leaving late afternoon/evening by train I'm looking for recommendations for an area in which to stay. Is it big enough to actually have areas?

Hotels in the $200 range including breakfast are of interest. Nice hotel in good tourist location with reasonable access to the train. Luxury is not a requirement. Just nice/clean, etc.

Brussels. Arrive by train from Amsterdam and expect to have 1 1/2 days in Brussels before leaving for US.

Most interested in wandering the tourist areas.

Any suggestions for location and hotels. Same requirements as above for Brugge.

Thanks.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi!

Bruges is a moderate sized city but quite compact so you should definately ask the hotel if they are walking distance to the centre as there are plenty to choose from.

Try these links for hotels in both cities -

http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/Europe/...odging/Hotels/

http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/Europe/...odging/Hotels/

http://www.hotelraider.com/links/partners4.html

Good luck!
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Did a similar trip last year. I would recommend stay in Brussels and make a day trip to Brugge. Train tickets return on the same day are cheap and I thought you could really walk the place in 6-8 hours and have a nice lunch.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

I wrestling with the idea of staying in brussels and going to brugge from there. However, I'd like to be in Brugge for the evening.

Bot quite sure what to do.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 05:34 PM

Myer,
We really enjoyed our 2 1/2 day stay in Brugge last summer. The evenings were remarkably quieter than the days & we found plenty to occupy ourselves. We stayed at the Hotel Prinsenhof, a lovely experience, very close to the plaza. They sponsored a 2 hour tour of the town (by Andrew) that was entertaining. Have a great trip! Betsy
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 05:50 PM

We spent 2 nights in Brugge in June, 2003. We stayed at Belle's B&B http://www.geocities.com/bells22jpb/ They drove us to the train and were wonderful hosts. There was a lovely neighborhood restaurant across the street. The canal boat ride is delightful and just wandering the town. We also rented bikes and rode to Damme.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 05:50 PM

We loved the Adornes in Bruges. Great hotel, charming room, excellent breakfast, parked the car and walked everywhere.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 05:51 PM

PS, should you stay at the Adornes, please give my regards to the charming Natalie, the best desk manager ever!
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Hi Myer,
Since your trip isn't until June 2006, thought I would respond to your question about places to stay in Brugge. We will be visiting Brugge in late December and I'm happy to say, after much research, I think we have found a jewel! It is called the Number 11 B&B and judging by their website and my e-mail exchanges with the owners, I would give this place a 10! The prices also seem very reasonable, - so if you haven't committed to a hotel, perhaps you would enjoy the personal touch of staying in a B&B. Here's the link: http://users.pandora.be/number11/pic.htm
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:12 AM

Bowen,

How was the No. 11 B&B? I just booked it for May 2006 and it looks great. How was your stay there?
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:20 AM

I read good things about the Romantik Pandhotel in Brugge. http://www.pandhotel.com/ratese.htm
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:08 PM

Hi Rachel - Thanks for asking about the Number 11 B&B. Our stay was perfection and only wished we could have stayed longer! The owners, Annie and Pavel, were welcoming and gracious in every way, the house and garden were beautifully and tastefully done and the breakfast (fresh croissants, homemade preserves, fruits and cheeses, etc.) was fabulous. You could not find a better place - just be sure to book an extra day or two if your itinerary allows. Oh ... and the location was ideal!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 08:59 PM

We stayed at the Romantik Pandhotel a year ago. The location is great - quiet but still not far from the main square --and the breakfasts are amazing -- fresh fruit, yogurt and granola, plus eggs cooked to order. Very helpful staff, cozy public rooms. Each guest room is decorated differently. It isn't modern, but it is romantic and welcoming.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Thanks Bowen,

When I spoke to Annie at No. 11 on the phone, she sounded wonderful, and I've heard only great things about her B&B. We are staying in the Vanilla room and our friends are staying in the suite which looks outrageous. Thanks for your comments and we are looking forward to our stay!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:41 PM

Hi Rachele,
That's great you had a chance to speak with Annie! You'll love your stay and you will adore Brugge! My cousin and her husband and two kids stayed in the deluxe suite and it was absolutely fabulous! If (when!) return to that charming city someday, we will claim the deluxe suite at the Number 11 and not budge for a week!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 12:13 AM

If you are planning to arrive that late, then I would stay in a hotel rather than a small B&B, simply out of consideration for the owners.

By Myer, I'm a little confused...are you planning to arriving first in Brussels by plane at 9:45 pm and then go on to Brugge or by train from Amsterdam?

Re hotels, most of the hotels in your price range would be centrally located. We usually stay at the Sofitel (although I'm glad so many Fodorites like Number 11, I posted about them a few years ago after visiting the place shortly after it opened; Bowen, another web site for them is simply www.number11.be). If you weren't arriving so late, I would say they would be your best bet. You could always contact them and see if it's a problem to check in around midnight...maybe they're night owls in summer

Taxis from the Brugge train station are *usually* plentiful and not expensive.

Brugge is lovely for strolling at night and in the early morning when the day trippers aren't around. Also, it's quite safe--I've never had the slightest problem walking around alone at night.

Re Brussels hotels, you should probably be able to find many hotels offering rooms in your price range. The Welcome Hotel is particularly popular with Fodorites. I usually stay at our apartment in Brussels, but on the occasions when I stay at a hotel, I stay at the Sofitel Toison d'Or. A four star hotel (very comfortable rooms with AC); set one level above the street with its own small garden. Rates around 110 to 135 euro per night if booked on Internet.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

BTilke,

We're arriving in Brussels from Budapest by plane at 9:45PM. Since we must leave from Brussels to get back to the US, I didn't want to stay in Brussels twice. Too many hotels.

We'll arrive at 9:45PM and immediately train to Bruges. We'll sleep over in Bruges two nights and late in the afternoon of the second day we'll train to Amsterdam for about 2 1/2 days getting back to Brussels in the evening, have a complete day in Brussels and plane back to the US.

The trip starts with 4 1/2 days in Prague and 3 in Budapest.

Prague 4 1/2 days
Budapest 3 days
Bruges 1 1/2 days
Amsterdam 2 1/2 days
Bruseels 1 day (2 nights)
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 10:31 AM

It hasn't been mentioned on this site for awhile but last June we stayed at Hotel Egmond (www.egmond.be). We were most pleased. It is well below your budget, very central, has an amazing breakfast and beautiful rooms looking out on a private rose garden. The room was furnished in antiques and was huge.