Accommodations availability in August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that August is a poor time to vacation in Europe because all of Europe is on vacation, too, and many places will be either crowded or closed. In that case is it essential to book accommodations ahead of time, or is it still possible to build in some spontaneity to our trip, allowing us to follow our hearts, at least at some points, rather that be constrained to a set schedule? We will be in Paris, Provence, Lk. Como, Venice, Bagno di Romanga, Florence, 5 Terre and Parma.

August travelers, what is your experience? Thanks for your help with this.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 03:34 PM

IN the big cities you will find hotels available and cheaper--at the resorts[Como, CT] you will find the locals---wall to wall.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your insight. Maybe we should skip Como and spend another day or two in Venice!
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 04:29 PM

I would never consider traveling in August without hotel reservations - UNLESS you are either willing to pay VERY high prices for upscale places - or are willing to be very flexible (staying in suburbs, sharing baths, doing without elevators and AC or even being willing to move on to another town).

If you pick one or two towns now and start looking for odging I think you may find that prime places - decent at not veryhigh prices - are alredy fully booked. That will tell you if you want to risk going w/o reservations.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 02:14 PM

Much as I hate to contradict someone who is so knowledgeable as to know what information is "bogus" or not - I'd still advise making reservations. All of summer is peak travel season and August in particular. You don't have to make all of the reservations in advance, but the more reservations you have, the more peace of mind you will have.

Yes, the best places do get snapped up really fast. That's why they are the "best" places. If it's a dog, it's not going to have its reservations run out like hot cakes, will it? Just common sense should tell you this.

Also, personally, I don't like booking.com. Its prices are often outrageous. I've sometimes gone to booking.com to read up on reviews, but am shocked at their markup from the "other" websites, sometimes their prices are twice as much as what the other website will list and I've even seen markups that are 4X someone else's price. The most egregious fault is their fakey advertising: "Only one room left at this price, book now!" whereas I can book three rooms at the other site. What's with that?
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Whether there is availability or not, I would hate spending time calling multiple properties and comparing types of rooms and rates. Of course, if your budget is generous, you might only have to make one call.

I checked a few places we've stayed in Bellagio and Varenna, and there is availability in August but mostly for 1-2 night stays.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 04:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I posted too soon. For stays longer than 2 nights, availability doesn't open up until after August 19th.

A week from now, the available dates may have changed completely.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 06:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've done it before and it wasn't pleasant (actually last August in southern Tuscany). I don't like to spend my vacation time looking for a room and taking whatever I can get at whatever price available. In Florence and Rome, you can often find people peddling rooms around the train station.

If you don't have a budget, you will find it much easier to book upon arrival somewhere.