Torn Between Lake Como and Cinque Terre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 3 days in June where I can fly into either Milan or Pisa(Florence) and travel to the Lake Como area or to Cinque Terre. Both places are beautiful, and I would love to go to both but I don't want to rush between them both, so I would like to pick one or the other. Which should I choose?
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:37 PM

The risk of fog or rain is slightly higher in Lago di Como, which is something to consider.

Both places will have a lot of tourists, although on Lago di Como it's a bit easier to get away from them (take a boat to another town). In Cinque Terre, you have to be willing to hike up into the hills. Taking a boat to another town doesn't work.

Accommodations on Lagi di Como are more comfortable and varied, and it's easier to make reservations. Restaurants in Lago di Como are probably better (even if the authentic local cuisine isnt!)

Not to tempt you too much, but it is possible to spend 2 days in CT and one afternoon/night/morning in Como and not run out of breath, especially if you can fly into Pisa and out of Milan. But even if you flew RT Milan, you could be in CT by lunch if you arrived in Milan in the morning. And on your last day, an early start would get you to Como by lunch. You could have a sunset drink in Bellagio and admire the view, spend the night in the town of Como or Menaggio or maybe even Varenna and find public transportation to the airport in time for your flight, provided your flight leaves after 10 or so.

Any chance you don't have to buy your tickets until you can look at a 10-day weather forecast?

The two cuisines are very different.

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:41 PM

Ooops. Should have deleted that last bit.

Another way to look at this is:

Do you want to lose yourself in rough nature for a few days, or would you prefer a gentler, more plush and convenient atmosphere? Dirt under the fingernails or a manicure?
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:42 PM

If you are under 40 and shop at LL Bean then go to the CT. If you are over 40 and shop at Talbots go to Como.
Both are wonderful--just different.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:44 PM

It depends on what you like to see/do. The hikes/walks in Cinque Terre offer spectacular scenery but one should be in fairly good physical condition for some of these walks. We found hoards of American tourists, clutching Rick Steves' book, in every town in the area. And this was shoulder season. Lake Como offers lots of tourists as well, in a somewhat more upscale setting, along with tours on the lake, more gentle walks, and sightseeing opportunities such as Villa Carlotta. Personally, of the two, I would choose Lake Como, but younger folks probably prefer Cinque Terre. Whichever you decide, please don't even think about doing both in such a short time. You'll love either place. Enjoy!
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:57 PM

With all due respect, Bob, I think REI would be a better shopping profile for the young, adventurous CT hiker than LL Bean. I'm over 40, but about the only thing I can imaging getting from LL Bean might be a dog bed... Of course, I enjoyed Lake Como, and I wouldn't really be caught dead in Talbot's either, LOL.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:47 PM

Well I never buy anything from LL Bean and I never buy anything from Talbot's, LOL.

But if I only had 3 days in June in Italy with the choices of CT of Lake Como my choice would be Lake Como.

But if I were flying into Milan and I had another choice, my choice would be Milan. But I love Milan!!
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:52 PM

Como and Cinque Terre are two totally different experiences. If you want stunning ocean vistas go to Cinque Terre. If you want stunning lake vistas with mountain backdrop, go to Lago Como.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 12:48 AM

You can get as much "out in the weeds" time around Lake Como and as much dirt under your fingernails, in your ears, etc., as you can anywhere else..believe me, I know...AND when I was doing all that "weed work" I didn;t have to constantly get out of the way of someone with a guidebook in their hand pushing me off the trail.

Mid-lake Como will be a LOT quieter than the CT IMO and I think Fisches has summed it up nicely.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 12:50 AM

Oh, and another thing..please disregard the blatantly AGEIST recommendation above.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:23 AM

It's true that there are rural hikes available in Como, but the converse isn't true: Well paved waterside promenades and sprawling villa gardens are not available in Cinque Terre, nor will you find much white tableloth dining.

Cinque Terre's dress style is defininely hiking boot and sandals. Bellagio is one of those places where middle-aged Italian men wear jackets and their wives wear knit suits.

Another difference between the lakes and the CT is that the lakes are still a beloved destination of Italians. The Cinque Terre now caters almost overwhelmingly to foreign tourists.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:30 AM

What is all this stereotyping about our clothes??? I LOVED Bellagio, and I have never shopped at Talbots and would not be seen in a "knit suit"...!!!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Traviata,

If you'd never be seen in a knit suit, you're not an Italian woman, that's all.

I think Northern European trekkers in their boots and hiking shorts are a very visible presence in CT, as is the more elegant style of affluent Italians and Americans in Lago di Como. (In Lago di Garda, the Germans on holiday are also very noticeable, with their distinctive style, and on Maggiore, the British stand out).

If I my idea of a relaxing weekend was to kick back and hang out in my jeans and running shoes, I'd head for CT so I could pack light. If I wanted something more romantic and a bit upscale, I'd pack differently and head for Lago di Como.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:39 AM

nessun..

Ahh...but I AM an Italian woman and...I STILL wouldn't be seen in a "knit suit"......but...I understand your point....
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:58 AM

Funny!

An Italian born and living in Italy or of Italian descent raised in the US?

If the former, I honestly thought those knit suits were mandatory post-45.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Of Italian descent raised in the USA...and raised WITHOUT those dreaded "knit suits"...I can honestly say that I never saw ONE the whole time I was in Bellagio.....thankfully..
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:03 AM

i've been to both cinque terre and como and loved both. enjoyed some of the most stunning views i've ever seen (it was so picturesque i felt as though i were constantly walking through scenes from postcards) in ct while trekking from village to village (in high heeled sandals and a rather close fitting skirt - the original plan had been to travel by train between villages). the comments from various tourists:

- italian: "mamma mia," "aye mamma!", etc. but spoken with a nod of approval about my stylish hiking
attire
- british: spoken very seriously "impossible, there is no way that you will be able to reach the next village in those shoes. you have to walk on ledges that are 6 inches wide. you should turn back right now"
- german: words muttered in german with disapproving stares and shaking heads. i caught the word "auslander" (foreignor) in their comments.
- american: "it's really tough but you'll be so proud of yourself when you finish!" and "don't worry, i did it in thongs!!"

anyway, i made it just fine, with just a few near-death incidents =)

como is lovely as well, just more relaxed and upscale. wonderful photo opps, too!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Traviata,

I'm developing a kind of affection for those knit suits. Seeing one makes me know I've returned to Italy!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 03:11 PM

thanks for the laughs, all!

so... what was the decision?

rugged, outdoorsy, spectacular views of the ocean or...

pristine, cultured, upscale view of the lake

???
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM

I am over 40 and shop at neither of those places, but I have been to both Lake Como and Cinque Terre, and I enjoyed CT so much more. CT was abso lutely amazingly beautiful and having the beach right at your doorstep plus all of the shops, restaurants and hiking trails was a blast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -