Accommodation in Florence

Mar 27th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Accommodation in Florence

Does anyone have any suggestions re: a clean, reasonably-priced hotel close to the old section of Florence? My friend and I plan on visiting this lovely city for four or five days in May. I would really appreciate any leads you could send my way.
Thank you
vanessagillian
Mar 27th, 2009, 08:18 PM

Could you give us a better idea of "reasonably priced"? Seriously, what may be reasonable to you is a luxury to some and perhaps budget accomodations to others. If you furnish a price range, you'll probably get better responses.

BC
Mar 27th, 2009, 08:38 PM

I have stayed in the Hotel Villa Liana, which was once the British consulate and is well-located, about 10 minutes walk from the Duomo. It's a peaceful, cool, quiet place with a small garden-terrace behind for afternoon drinks. The staff was very helpful. http://www.hotelvillaliana.com/

I have also stayed at the Hotel Arizona, which is in the same general area as Villa Liana, a few minutes closer to the center. It's a little glitzier, with a plasma TV on the wall in my room, but also quite comfortable, and helpful staff. http://www.arizonahotel.it/

But my all-time favorite for Florence is Tourist House Duomo, on Via de' Cerretani which runs from the rail station up to the Duomo. It's a small pensione, the old style that you used to find all over Italy 35 years ago, on the second floor of an old building above shops and restaurants. It's just a very short distance, maybe 2 minutes walk, from the Duomo. I've stayed there three times, and each time have been lucky enough to get the Dante Alighieri, which is a double en suite. It's quirky and creaky and strange, in all the very best ways, really a B&B, not a proper hotel. The staff is a couple of elderly men and an elderly woman, at least when I was there last, about 2 years ago, who are on the gruff side at first but will warm up to you as you warm up to them. And then there are a few younger women cleaners/chambermaids who were delightful. Nothing lux or fancy, and it may seem like a lot of money for what it is, but the location makes it well worth it. http://www.touristhouseduomo.com/index.php
Mar 27th, 2009, 08:46 PM

I meant to say, you should be able to get a double at Tourist House Duomo for about 80-90 euro in May. The other two are a little more expensive, more like 110-125 euro a night.
Mar 28th, 2009, 03:45 AM

On my last visit to Florence I stayed at the Residenza Il Villino, a lovely, small hotel/B&B in the historic center, on a quiet street just a block or two from the Accademmia and from the Duomo.

It's very conveniently located, spotlessly clean, charmingly furnished and run by a very friendly and helpful couple and their equally helpful staff. There's a little garden where you can have breakfast or just relax. I enjoyed it and wouldn't hesitate to return.

Not sure of your price range but a double should run around 120-140 EU. Residenzailvillino.com
Mar 28th, 2009, 10:13 AM

We also stayed at the Residenza Il Villino (eight nights) on our last trip to Florence and found it well located, reasonably priced, quite charming with exceptionally kind and helpful owners. Try to get a room on the top floor with a view of the Duomo. Breakfast was good, there is free access to the Internet and our room had wooden beams on the ceiling. It was really lovely and the bathroom was very nice and modern.
Mar 28th, 2009, 10:35 AM

You might try Relais Cavalcanti. Very clean and excellent location. www.relaiscavalcanti.com
Mar 28th, 2009, 10:57 AM

I stayed at

www.sanlorenzohotel.it

It was in a good location near the San Lorenzo market.
It was nice and clean, people were friendly.

A casual place to eat is la Canlinetta on Via Borgo San Lorenzo. You kind of pick and point to sample plates. It was surprisingly fresh and tasty.
Mar 30th, 2009, 01:15 PM

I suggest that you check out the B & B Leopoldo (http://www.leopoldohouse.it/eng/index.asp). It's about a 15 minute walk from the center, in a very nice area. Clean, quiet, comfortable rooms with reasonable prices, and the manager is very kind and helpful
I just stayed there last week and was very happy.
Mar 30th, 2009, 01:25 PM

Also....

For a perfect little spinach/egg panini go to Caffe Royal.
I dont know the address.
Its a small place over the Ponte vecchio to the right.
Mar 30th, 2009, 01:30 PM
ira

Hi VG,

I can highly recommend the B&B Peterson.
http://www.florenceby.com/peterson/

Note, it is a Bed&Bed. Bkfst is not included. There is a very nice cafe about 10 ft from the entrance.