About Musée du château de Malmaison

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long it takes by metro from Paris to Musée du château de Malmaison?

Is it possible to plan it as a half day trip?
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 08:25 PM

We went via the buses the entire way. Via metro you miss all the glorious scenery along the way, but it would be faster.

Then, we were distracted, going and coming, at Grande Arche/La Defense...the Arche, scenery, cafes, shopping. The day we happened to be going, there was an enormous array of outdoor music and street performers (this was during June).

You could certainly do it in 1/2 day, if you must.

We left the hotel late morning, had a leisurely lunch (fabulous food upon a lovely terrace) before transferring to another bus line, at La Defense.

Whether you go via Metro or bus, it's a bit of a walk to the Chateau.

You could visit the Chateau in about an hour, or spend several hours for a leisurely visit of the entire home and gardens.

The town is totally charming.

A visit to Church of Saint-Pierre-Saint-Paul (a quintessential 16th century church) to see where Josephine is buried is also worthwhile, and quite moving. Particularly to see the sculpture, commissioned by her children, which depicts her in the same pose as in the Jacques-Louis David painting of her coronation.

We enjoyed the most amazing ice cream concoctions at a local restaurant on a lovely outdoor terrace, before catching a bus back to La Defense.

Old Aug 15th, 2004, 09:35 AM

I was just there a couple weeks ago and so I'll give you some tips on how to get there, as I had read misleading information in some guidebook and perhaps also on their web site.

Yes, you could do it in a half day. I didn't spend longer than that there. I enjoyed the chateau and even in peak summer season, there were only a couple people in the place, so it is not crowded. I liked seeing some of the furniture, artifacts, and clothing. I always like historical clothing exhibits. The chateau is not super-big so it doesn't take too long to see it. I didn't spend any extra time on the grounds, they didn't look of unusual interest to me (the gardens).

Going, I took the RER to Rueil-Malmaison (the metro doesn't go there), that is line A. Now, the info I had said to take bus 258 from there to the chateau. That is wrong. Either bus 2A or 2B, which have stops just outside the RER station, go to the main road near the chateau (I think there is a stop named Chateau on those routes). They only run about once every half hour or even once an hour at this time of year.

My guidebook info said to take bus 258 from the RER stop. However, it doesn't leave from there, bus 258 is a bus that leaves from La Defense along the main route and goes all the way to the same stop as the buses 2A and 2B. I don't think that bus stop is too far from the chateau, a few blocks. Now the bus 258 can be caught if you go to Rueil-Malmaison by RER, but you have to walk a ways down ave Victor Hugo from the RER station to catch it, so why bother when 2A or 2B go the same place.

Because my info was wrong and I didn't see any bus stop near the RER for bus 258, I just took a taxi which may be just as well, anyway, as it only cost me about five euro and took me right to the entrance. I'd probably do that again even now that I know the directions, and save public transportation for returning as you'd have to ask somebody to call a taxi for you or something when leaving.

On return, I walked from the chateau down to the main road and then along it a ways (not more than 1/4 mile, prob. less) until I found a return bus stop. I saw the schedule for buses 2A and 2B were a long way off from arriving, and that bus 258 went right to La Defense anyway, so figured I'd just take the bus back there rather than taking the bus to the RER. I did that, and then spent a little time at La Defense seeing the arch and shopping on the return.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. The tips are very useful.

How long for the bus ride from La Defense to Musée du château de Malmaison? Will there be any sign at the bus stop to direct me to the chateau?

If metro can't go there, can I use my orange carnet (zone 1 to 4) for the ride?
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 10:19 AM

If you have the time, a visit to the nearby St-Germaine-en-Laye would be very worthwhile. It's a charming small town with an old castle, a "new" château, the National Museum of Antiquities and the Henry IV Pavilion, with a great terrace for views toward Paris.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 10:26 AM
ira

Hi mini,

>How long for the bus ride from La Defense to Musée du château de Malmaison?<

Go to http://www.ratp.fr/index_eng.htm
Click on "Route finder"

Enter "Your street Address" and "avenue du Chateau de Malmaison RUEIL-MALMAISON"

Choose "bus, tramway"

You will get directions and schedules to La Defense and on to Malmaison on the 258 bus.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 11:39 AM

We used the ratp Route Finder (printed the directions and maps). We did have to walk a few blocks to transfer to Bus 258. Note that some buses do not go all the way the the end or the route, so you must take a 258 bus that does not have a "/" though the route number on the front of the bus. The bus stop is almost directly across from the entrance to the Chateau and there are signs.

You can also take RER Line A toward Saint-Germain en-Laye to Rueil-Malmaison and walk from there, or take a bus.

The Carte Orange is valid for unlimited travel on the RER, Metro, and buses within the zones you've purchased.

Malmaison is in Zone 3. See http://www.citefutee.com/orienter/f_...nes&fm=gif
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 11:53 AM

If you have any kind of metro/RER pass for zone 4, that will work as Malmaison is in zone 3. You can use that pass on the bus or the RER. Buses within Rueil-Malmaison are part of RATP and use the same tickets/passes.

No, I don't think there's any directions at the bus stop to the chateau, but I'm not sure as I took the taxi to it. I think the stop itself is named "chateau" and you have to pay attention to the names on the bus stops as you pass and get off at the right one--notice when you are at the one before that point and be ready to get off the next one. The main road to the chateau is almost right across the street from that stop, I think. The road is "avenue du chateau de Malmaison". As I recall, it does lead off from a very small "place" with a different name which I can't recall but begins with a vowel (a or i). I don't think you'll have any trouble finding it if you get off at the right bus stop.

The bus trip from La Defense proably takes 20-30 minutes. It drops you off upon return at some underground area with a lot of stops, underneath the whole big complex, so I'm not sure how easy it will be to find the 258 bus stop to go to Malmaison if you just arrive at La Defense by metro or RER. YOu'll have to follow signs to the bus, probably. That's a major transit transfer point for the RER/bus and metro.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 07:41 PM

bookmarking
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 06:25 AM

We'll be taking this day trip next month (November) - any updates or additional comments on getting to and from the chateau?