Reload this Page >

Paris - I really need help on these bus routes

Old Dec 4th, 2009, 07:09 AM
tod
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have Le petit Parisien - 3 plans par arr. - I just need to make sure about these bus routes and more importantly - where exactly will they pick up (or drop off)! I see little white squares marked next to the road, so presume these are the actual bus stops?

Firstly I need to get from Gare du Nord onto a bus going down Blvd Magenta, and I think it's a 56, taking us to the metro stop Voltaire which is nearest to our apartment rental on Rue Petion.
Next, I need to know if this same bus will take us to Gare l'Est when we have to catch our train to Munich and where exactly would we get off nearest the station.

Lastly, what would be the easiest way - bus - metro - or taxi, from Ile de la Grande Jatte
to Gare du Nord so we can pick up the RER to CDG?

I would really appreciate some help here.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM

To answer your first question, Tod, about Le petit Parisien, the little white squares on the "Bus" page are indeed the actual bus stops.

I have found, though, that the best way to plot bus routes is to use the RATP web site. Put in Gare du Nord as your departure point, Voltaire as your destination, and search buses ...

Once you identify the bus route they suggest, you can download both the schedule and the route as a PDF, which you can then print. I find it is much easier to locate the bus stops on the pdf route than it is to locate them on the Le petit Parisien pages.

Anselm
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 07:53 AM

All the information you want is available at the website www.ratp.fr. From the welcome page, click on "plan de lignes" on the left. From there, click on "bus" in the middle of the page. Under the words "Afficher un plan de ligne" you can enter the route number of the bus line you want and click "Valider". You will get a pdf file of that route's stops. Bus 56 does stop at Gare de l'Est according to this map.

To see exactly where all the stops are, instead of putting a route number in the box, go further down the page and click on "plan des bus avec rues". This will bring up the extremely useful map of all the bus lines overlaid on a street map. Zoom in on the area you need. The bus stops are marked with white boxes. Some have arrows, indicating that they only stop at that stop in the direction the arrow is pointing. Frequently that is because this bus stop is on a one way street and the line runs down a different street in the other direction.

To see exactly where the bus stops at each location, go back to the welcome page. Where it says "depart/plan de quartier", click on station and type in the name of the stop you are looking for, e.g., Gare de l'Est. Then click on "plan de quartier" underneath that box. You will get a very detailed map of the streets around the station. Hold your cursor over each bus icon to see which lines stop there. Click on the stop and you will get a box with the line, the direction, and the address in front of which the bus stop.

When you get to Paris, you can get a copy of the bus and metro maps overlaid on a street map. Ask for the "Grand plan lignes et rues", available at metro stations.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Great minds, same track.

As it were.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 07:58 AM

For your 2 first questions:

Yes, bus line 56 is the answer. From the front exit of Gare du Nord, turn right and walk to Bd de Magenta (along rue de Dunkerque). The bus stop will be 20 meters up the boulevard after crossing it.

When you go to Gare de l'Est, there is a stop "Gare de l'Est"

Concerning your last point, it really depends on what you are able to walk. For me, the most practical solution would be to walk back to "Pont de Neuilly" metro station taking line 1 to "Chatelet" and switching to RER B. If you have quite some time, at the "Pont de Neuilly" station, get bus 43 direct to Gare du Nord. Obvious last solution: taxi
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Ah, but yours was more thorough.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 08:41 AM
tod
Original Poster

You are all so very helpful! Nikki - I will do the exercise in a quiet moment when I can concentrate!
Parisian - Thanks, that is really great to know exactly where the stop is!
AnselmAdorne - thanks, I thought maybe some folks would think "what the heck, you've got the map!" but as you point out - it ain't so easy!