Search

a 2nd night in Parma or a 2nd night in Appenzell

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a 2nd night in Parma or a 2nd night in Appenzell

Quick poll for my Fodorite friends:

travelling this Christmas with 2 kids (8 and 13) and are doing a loop driving tour from Munich to Salzburg, then Venice, Parma and Appenzell finally back to Munich.

I am fine honing our schedule but here's the question, do we spend another night in Parma or another night in Appenzell? As it stands we have only one night in each. I was originally planning to do Parma, Como, then Appenzell - but that's too much! So I'd like to take that Como 1 night stay and add it to another city - but which one? We will still stop in Como - but for lunch maybe, not an overnight.

I'm thinking Parma, but need opinions please!
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 08:45 PM

See my response to your other post. I would skip Appenzell and go to Guarda. If you have 2 nights, so much the better, you can do sleigh rides, cross country skiing and explore the other charming villages in the valley.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 04:40 AM

Parma is a pretty town, but probably not much to do for the kids at that time.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 05:52 AM

Parma.. love that area and the food in town is top-notch!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of Appenzell, you might want to check out:

Lenzerheide (charming ski resort 20 min. drive above Chur.) Easily accessible by car. The hotel, Schweizerhof, is a beautiful wellness hotel that is set up for families. I would prefer staying here than two days in Appenzell because you'll be in the mountains, have ski lifts left and right, have a nice mountain lake to walk around, and can relax a bit from your long drive.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 02:57 PM

Lago di Como will be FREEZING at Christmastime with nothing to do other than stare at the lake view, if it is visible.

As for driving to Parma in winter, while roads will be cleared of any snow, the fog in those areas can be fierce. Given the age of your kids, I think they will find very little to do in Parma (which is most likely to grimly cold), unless you are certain they would enjoy touring cheese factories or a visit to Torrechiara castle nearby. (Check to see they are open for tours when you are going to be there).

Your kids might enjoy Verona, which has a Roman arena and a castle. But in general, I would urge you to bear in mind that Christmastime in Italy represents the shortest, darkest days of the year when freezes commonly occur. It's not really driving weather around lakes and across the river valleys.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 05:46 PM

Parma to Appenzell is quite a drive, about 5 hours not counting any stops or snafus. At Xmas time when road closures can happen, it could turn into a much longer trip. What if it gets ugly at the San Bernardino pass for example?

Just to go spend the night in Appenzell, without having a couple of days there for the kids to do stuff and to wait out the weather if it turns on you, that would not make sense.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 08:30 PM

Maybe I'm missing the big picture--Parma to Alpenzell for one night/ or even two, then on to Munich. Why? Is this a mix of Italy in winter and Alpenzell for winter activities? I don't understand what your travel objectives are for an 8 and 13 yr old.

Seems like you are stretching your trip dramatically--I suggest you pick a theme but "lunch in Como on the way"! With kids? What do you expect to experience in Como? I sense a lot of travel time and energy in this itinerary.