Search

France in December

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2010, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
France in December

Hello!

I am currently studying abroad in Paris, France and my boyfriend is coming to visit me for three weeks in December. We of course want to spend a substantial amount of time in Paris together, but we were also hoping to explore somewhere new together as well. Does anyone have any ideas for a short trip (a day or two) that we could take nearby? We both love wine, but don't think that a vineyard visit would be possible in December. Any ideas? We're from Michigan so we can bear the cold pretty well

Thank you!!!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 01:07 PM

I have two favorites...they would probably be only a day, not two. 1. Reims: the cathedral is gorgeous and if you love champagne a visit to Veuve Cliquot or another champagne house would be nice 2. Chenonceau in the Loire Valley is beautiful and a Veuvray tasting at a winery might be nice. We also visited Amboise the same day, which has a chateau overlooking the river (River Cher, maybe) and a small but lovely chapel where leonardo da Vinci is buried. Cute little town.

Last idea, is Versailles...I assume you have that on your itinerary and it is spectacular!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 01:15 PM

Reims is a good idea, the Loire Valley perhaps less so (and BTW, the wine is Vouvray). Another possibility, quickly reachable by the TGV, would be Dijon--lots of good Burgundies to taste around there.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 01:30 PM

Ditto Underhill, except I would go to the next stop after Dijon, or catch a local train, and go to Beaune. This is a small town and the heart of Burgundy. There are plenty of wine merchants offering *degustation*, a sip of the ruby liquid.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 01:40 PM

Alsace, with a TGV from Paris to Strasbourg in just over 2 hrs., is another possibility. Lovely little villages along the Route du Vin.
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 01:58 AM

The TGV and cheap flights mean you can widen your horizons.

Think of :

TGV to Montpellier, Nimes, or Marseille (all around 3hrs), good food, wine tasting, xmas fairs and the chance of some sunshine. There will be people on the beach, but few swimming ! http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/ph...-photo-067.htm

or

Even warmer - take a cheap flight somewhere further South :

Easyjet to Faro, Athens, Rome, Malaga, Marakesh, Tangiers, Lisbon, Sicily

Ryanair to Marakesh, Marseille, Barcelona, Malaga, Seville, Tangiers, Valencia, Venice

Peter