Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for family ski resort with 4 kids with easy access from Phx.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Ski

Planning a family ski vacation for Feb. 2003. Will be taking 4 kids (age 14 months to 12 years.) Need a resort with a kids club for the baby and ski lessons for my 3 year old. We considered Steamboat Springs and other Colorado or New Mexico resorts but we do not want to drive more than an hour or so once we arrive at the airport. We also only want direct flights from Phx. We've looked into Heavenly (but looks like few easy runs) and Squaw Valley and Northstar but their kids club starts at age 2. Any ideas?

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:04 AM
x

fly to calgary alberta and ski at sunshine or lake louise - good kid's facilities.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Sarah

I suggest you take this search to epicski.com. With a 3 year old I would want the best ski school/child care with limitted class size.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:57 AM
travellyn

You might consider Durango Mountain Resort (Purgatory). America West flies into Durango, and the ski area is about 40 minutes from the airport. I don't know at what age they start child care. It would be worth finding out what other ski towns America West flies into, then narrow the field from there.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 08:22 AM
deborah

Deer Valley, Utah! Or Park City, Utah! Fly Phoenix to Salt Lake City non-stop, drive 35 minutes or so and enjoy your stay in Deer Valley. We've been twice, with children, and the ski school is great. Mountains have lots of good green (beginner) runs. Deer Valley prohibits snowboarders and limits the number of skiiers on the mountain at any given time, so it's not too crowded and it's a lot of fun. Park City is more developed and less expensive.

Let us know where you decide.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:57 PM
John

Try Big Mountain In Whitefish,Mt. You can fly to Kalispell Mt, and the slopes are 20 minutes from the airport
Happy trails

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:31 PM
ski

Thanks all for your great suggestions. My husband is still pushing for Heavenly and doesn't believe what I've heard about few beginner runs there. He wants to stay at the new Marriott vacation resort. Anybody been there? How's Heavenly (Lake Tahoe)?

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 10:38 PM
3 angels

I vote for Heavenly. I have 3 kids and they are very kid friendly there.
It's absolutely beautiful!