8 Days in Italy from the U.S.

Old Jun 26th, 2022, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 Days in Italy from the U.S.

Hello everybody, new here. I just had a question as to whether or not, in the current state of the world economy, $2,500 would be enough for spending money between two people in Italy for 8 days. (10 days of trip but 8 days to explore).

My flights and Air B&B accommodations have already been paid for, so all weíll really need money for is going out to eat and maybe a few excursions that we have not yet paid for. I already have paid tickets to the Colosseum and Roman forum, also a paid ticket to Pompeii ruins.

Iíll be going to Sorrento area for 4 days, and staying in Rome another 4 days. Was originally just gonna do Sorrento, but the person Iím going with really wanted to see Rome too if we were going to be Italy, so I split up the trip.

Below I made a quick itinerary of what I plan on doing without much specifics, just to get an idea. This is my first trip out of the country so Iím hoping to plan a bit, despite knowing things donít always go as planned!

Day 1 - Flight there

Day 2 - Arrive in Napoli - Train to Sorrento

Day 3 - Explore Sorrento & maybe Capri (Ferry)

Day 4 - Visit Pompeii ruins (Already paid)

Day 5 - Hang out in Sorrento/Beach (Or another tour of something)

Day 6 - Change to Air B&B in Rome, take transport there.

Day 7 - Explore Rome, get bearings.

Day 8 - Colosseum Guided Tour (Already paid). Rapid Covid test if still necessary

Day 9 - Explore Rome

Day 10 - Flight back

Thank you for your help or tips!
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 02:39 AM
J62

Yes, $2500 is enough to cover meal, transportation, and incidentals for your trip.
That's $250 per day or more... so unless you are planning to eat out 3 meals a day, and at expensive restaurants, then you have more than enough.

but let me ask a question back....
Is your question though whether $2500 is enough in you bank to pay your cc bills and withdraw some euros in cash from an ATM in Italy? A: Yes
Or is your question whether you should bring $2500 in cash to spend on your trip? [NO]
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J62 View Post
Yes, $2500 is enough to cover meal, transportation, and incidentals for your trip.
That's $250 per day or more... so unless you are planning to eat out 3 meals a day, and at expensive restaurants, then you have more than enough.

but let me ask a question back....
Is your question though whether $2500 is enough in you bank to pay your cc bills and withdraw some euros in cash from an ATM in Italy? A: Yes
Or is your question whether you should bring $2500 in cash to spend on your trip? [NO]
Thank you so much! I definitely wasnít going to bring $2,500 in cash haha. But I did want to have some euros in cash just in case, maybe a couple hundred. I planned mostly on just using my debit cards while I was there. Thanks for the reply!
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 04:49 AM

I wouldn't bring even Ä100 in cash. Just use your credit card.
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 05:32 AM
J62

Originally Posted by bvlenci View Post
I wouldn't bring even Ä100 in cash. Just use your credit card.
Or tap-to-pay, which can be either cell phone or card....

Old Jun 28th, 2022, 07:06 AM

You may want a small amount of cash. Just get it through an ATM at the airport (donít use a TravelEx money exchange vendoróexchange rates are not usually favorable).

Make sure you provide your bank your travel dates and where, so your access to money via ATM or any credit cards are not frozen.

If you havenít traveled outside the US, one suggestion is to register on the State departmentís STEP website. Do it hoping it will be completely unnecessary but in case of any Emergency then they will be able to locate you and youíll receive any safety/security notifications while in Italy.
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by denisea View Post
You may want a small amount of cash. Just get it through an ATM at the airport (donít use a TravelEx money exchange vendoróexchange rates are not usually favorable).

Make sure you provide your bank your travel dates and where, so your access to money via ATM or any credit cards are not frozen.

If you havenít traveled outside the US, one suggestion is to register on the State departmentís STEP website. Do it hoping it will be completely unnecessary but in case of any Emergency then they will be able to locate you and youíll receive any safety/security notifications while in Italy.
This is a great idea, thank you so much! Youíre all awesome for the tips and help. I really appreciate it!