7 hour layover in Geneva?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a choice with identically priced flights from NYC to Rome. I can layover for an hour and a half, just enough time to switch planes, or I can layover from 10:00am - 5:00 pm and go into Geneva. I would love to see Geneva, is that enough time to see anything? Is it easy and inexpensive to get to and from the airport from Geneva? I understand there is a train from the airport to downtown, is the station in a good spot for sightseeing or is additional transportation required? Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 11:55 AM
yk

topping for nina
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 12:50 PM

I can't remember the cost, but I think it's relatively cheap to take the train from the airport into Geneva. The city is walkable and pretty, and there is a little waterfront park quite close to the train station. I had only an hour and half in the city, and was feeling lazy, so didn't make it to a museum, but I seem to recall that there were a few accessible places nearby. I certainly think you could see a little of the city in a 7 hour layover. The only question is going to be how zonked you are after the NYC flight. Don't forget that 10 am Swiss time is about 4 am (I think) NYC time. You're not going to have a lot of energy (but then again you're only going to have a few hours to spare, and you can spend some of them in a cafe).
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 01:07 PM

There is a train that goes right into town. From the station it's only a few blocks to the lake. You can walk along the promenade, or even perhaps take a boat ride. To the right of the lake, once you cross the bridge, you will enter the old part of town. There are some interesting neighborhoods and a beautiful old cathedral.

Heck, in one hour by train you can be in Montreux, take a walk and have lunch, and take the train back. It's a beautiful trip along the lake.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 09:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Geneva airport and train station are in attached buildings. Downtown Geneva is one stop away. I've never tried quick sightseeing, but have been thru many times to catch flights, it's all well (Swiss!) organized and I'm guessing do-able. Montreux (or Vevey) is great as mentioned, smaller towns with an 5-min. walk from their train stations.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 09:57 PM

I lived in Geneve for a couple of months.

Forget the train. Walk outside the airport and take bus #10 to the main train station, about a 15 minute ride.

Walk to Lac Leman (great swimming in summer), look at the Jet d'eau, try to see Mont Blanc (50 miles away) if it is not occluded, and then walk over the Rhone to rue du Rhone for a shopping stroll. Buy a Swiss watch and a Swiss Army knife in one of the shops. Great selections.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Sounds very doable. We never go right to sleep when we arrive in Europe, we just keep going until we collapse the next night, I think it makes adjusting so much easier.