6th Arr. Hotel Help!!!

Jan 1st, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

6th Arr. Hotel Help!!!

We usually stay at Relais Christine in the 6th...we love this hotel and its location but we are traveling with our children this trip and need two rooms...the Relais Christine is just too pricy. We are trying to decide between the following hotels in the vicinity of Relais Christine. Any help in making the seclection would be appreciated.
Hotel Artus
Hotel Madison
D'Aubusson
Relais Saint Germain
Any other suggestions??
Thanks
Jan 1st, 2004, 01:37 PM

My choice would be the D'Aubusson.
The location is perfect and while we were staying at the Angleterre, we wandered through the D'Aubusoon one day, it is beautiful! I don't think you can go wrong with that choice!
Jan 1st, 2004, 01:42 PM

D'Aubusson is very nice, but frankly I'd want one of their superior rooms, and I question how much less pricier that may be than Relais Cristine. I do know they raised their prices three years in a row, and I stopped looking there. Relais Saint Germain is really wonderful -- in fact I like it better than what I've seen of Relais Christine, but again, I'm not sure of how much you'd be saving.

I still think the superior rooms at Le Regent (very close to Christine) are perhaps the best bargain for really nice hotel rooms in the area. Not quite the quality of furnishings at the other hotels I've mentioned, but very nice and a whole lot less money.
Jan 1st, 2004, 02:27 PM

Standard rooms at D'Aubusson are nice enough, no need to book the Superior rooms. However, D'Aubusson has loft rooms, which might acommodate you all.

Artus' rooms are too small. Hotel de Buci might suit you, or even Hotel de l'Abbaye, a little further South, although they won't cost you much less than the Relais Christine. Another suggestion, at Rue Saint Benoît, a couple of blocks to the West, is Hotel Bel Ami. However, Hotel de L'Abbaye slightly resembles the Relais Christine, although in a less ambitious scale.
Jan 2nd, 2004, 12:52 PM

I think Patrick has one of the best suggestions with the Regent...many others would not change the price much.

When are you going?

You might take a look at the Danube. They have some two room things that could work well for you. On rue Jacob..a great spot to be. www.hoteldanube.fr e.mail to [email protected] tell him Joan Grace gave you his name. He will work with you.
a bientot
Jan 2nd, 2004, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your advice on our hotel selection. We are leaning towards the D'Aubusson as it is the area we prefer and we have friends that highly recommend it. At 260 Euros it is about 65 Euros per night less than Relais Christine for a standard room...times 2 rooms for 5 nights that is a good savings. The Bel Ami is a little too minimalist chic for us...the L'Abbaye while very highly touted is a little too far south for us. The Relais St. Germain is also a little more expensive at 285 Euros for a standard. However,the Madison is 220 Euros for a deluxe room and seems to have good reviews.
Does anyone know what kind of bed a standard at the D'Aubusson has? And are we better off with a deluxe room at the Madison (3 star) than a standard room at the 4 star D'Aubusson. I still have a problem with the difference between a 3 and 4 star hotel???
We are going the first week of April.
Thanks again for all the help.

Jan 2nd, 2004, 01:31 PM

Take a close look at the Madison, which is our favorite on the Left Bank. If you can book one of the larger rooms you will have space to spare, coupled with excellent storage space: closets with shelving, full-size dresser, dressing table, and a big tiled or marble bathroom. The hotel is right across from the St.-German-des-Prés church and the métro station of the same name, and there are any number of restaurants and cafés in all price ranges nearby. A Monoprix is just a block away.
Jan 2nd, 2004, 01:35 PM

Many of the hotels beds are twin beds and they push them together for you. You can check their website or ask the desk, it is a very nice hotel, not a budget sort.
We felt the same way about the L'Abbaye, gorgeous hotel but a little too far from where we would end up spending our days.
The Danube while nice is not in the same league at all..
I would not put too much importance in the star system, it could mean that one has a chair in the room and the other doesn't
Jan 2nd, 2004, 01:51 PM

Correct, the Danube is not in the same league as the d'Aubusson or l'Abbaye...having stayed in them all...was just trying to help with the children going along.

Sounds like you have the d'Aubusson lined up. Have some other friends going to the d'Aubusson in Feb....they got a VERY good deal!!
Jan 2nd, 2004, 05:09 PM

I also recommend the Madison; rooms there are around 200 Euro. Excellent hotel in a great location.
Jan 2nd, 2004, 05:47 PM
rsm

Have you considered the 7th district, just off Rue Cher. I would suggest Hotel Valadon and ther two bedroom for family's. Chech it ou @ www.hotelvaladon.com.

Jan 2nd, 2004, 07:01 PM

Not having stayed at the Madison, I dare to say D'Aubusson is classier. Although the decor is classic, the hotel has quite modern fixtures, great water pressure, a wonderful, modern and quick elevator, and a lovely, discreet atmosphere, besides a piano bar. I also like Rue Dauphine more than I like Bv. Saint Germain as location.

I also consider standard rooms at D'Aubusson larger and better than many Superior or De Luxe rooms in some of the 3 stars hotels at the Rive Gauche.
Jan 4th, 2004, 07:38 AM

http://www.discoA friend and I stayed recently at the Villa Pantheon on Rue d'Ecoles. Excellent breakfast, good service and very convenient location...we walked everywhere
http://www.discountparishotels.net/p...a-pantheon.htm
Jan 4th, 2004, 01:19 PM

Aside from the piano bar, the d'Aubusson sounds a lot like the Madison. Although the latter is on the Bvd. St.-Germain it's set back behind a tiny square; so traffic noise is minimal, especially giving the double-glazed windows.