Reload this Page >

6-hour layover in London

Search

6-hour layover in London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Keri

6-hour layover in London

My husband and I will be in London for about 6 hours between flights on our way from Venice to San Francisco. We arrive at Gatwick and then leave out of Heathrow (weird, I know, but it's what we could kludge together with AA miles). We'd love to make use of those hours with a nice car tour. I've seen lots of the UK, husband has seen just a bit of London. Anyone know of a good service that would pick us up, drive us around, drop us off at the other airport?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Jim

Just for clarification: What does that 6-hour interval include? Is that from the entire interval from the scheduled landing at Gatwick until the departure from Heathrow, or does it already allow for customs, luggage, checking in again, etc.?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Keri

That's an optimistic 6 hours, I guess We arrive at Gatwick at 8:20 and leave from Heathrow at 2:40. Not sure if we'll have to go through customs at Gatwick? I presume so....

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 03:58 PM
s.fowler

Let's see -- 6 hours<BR>Allow 1 hr to clear at Gatwick<BR>At least an hour if not 2 to get to Heathrow.<BR>2 hours checkin at LHR [This is not joke -- LHR is notoriously strict]<BR><BR>We're at 5 hours. From 6.<BR><BR>Okay -- if you can pay the freight and want an auto-tour -- I'd engage a car and driver at Gatwick knowing that you have about an hour or 2 to drive around before they deliver you to LHR.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:18 PM
janis

Keri - your only practical option is to get off the plane at Gatwick - retrieve your luggage (you cannot check it through), go through immigration, immediately get on the Speed Link coach to Heathrow, go through check-in and security and then shop/eat. You will not have time to go anywhhere else.<BR><BR>The train into London from LGW takes 35 minutes a car would take much longer.<BR><BR>The coach trip from LGW &gt; LHR takes from 60 to 90+ minutes and you must check in a MINIMUM of 2 hours ahead at LHR. Some airlines require 3 hours. <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 01:20 AM
Keith

BA recommend allowing 4 hours for a transfer between Gatwick and Heathrow, and once you get on to the M25 you'll see why! Looking at the times you're travelling, unless it's a Sunday you will need most of the 6 hours just to get from one to the other. I don't really think that you can realistically do anything other than head for LHR, I'm afraid.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Keri

Oh well, I guess I was being overly optimistic! It just seems that we've "passed through" London a few times now without my husband seeing much. Next time we'll have to schedule a day or two stopover. Thanks for the advice!