Reload this Page >

London Layover BA

Search

London Layover BA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Jon

London Layover BA

My BA flight has a connection in London. I arrive @ Heathrow and depart Gatwick. <BR>Is there a shuttle, or should I taxi. <BR>How long should I allow for the transfer? Is it possible to check bags through, or should I claim them at Heathrow and check again at Gatwick?<BR>Thanks for your help,<BR>j.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 09:58 AM
SearchIt

There has been lots of discussion on this topic. Do a search on 'Gatwick' and some should come up.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Gregory

Hi jon<BR><BR>There is a Speedlink/jetlink bus(coach) service between Heathrow and Gatwick running regularly. As you are connecting on BA you might get a free voucher foo the trip. <BR>I think the coach journey takes 60-75 minutes depending on traffic on the M25 motorway and the minimum connecting time between Heathrow and Gatwick is 3 hours.<BR>Since September 11th it is not possible to check your baghs through , you will need to claim them at Heathrow and check again at Gatwick.<BR><BR>Regards<BR>Gregory

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Shanna

Jon, if you go to the Heathrow airport site, there is information about connections to Gatwick. Sorry - don't remember the address. I think I just typed in www.heathrow etc.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 03:46 PM
elvira

There is a bus (speedlink) that travels between the airports. BA will pay for the fare; go to their customer service desk at the airport for the voucher.<BR><BR>The bus SHOULD take about 90 minutes, but always allow for the unexpected. I'd allow at least 3 1/2 hours between landing and departure to be sure, probably closer to four hours, but I'm paranoid.<BR><BR>Double check with BA - ask what happens if you land late, traffic is tied up, and arrive at Gatwick too late to catch your flight. Ask them if you can get that voucher for the Speedlink before you land. Getting through customs/immigration at Heathrow usually is a 30 mins process, but it can take a lot longer.<BR><BR>You do have to claim your luggage in Heathrow. I did this in 2000 (opposite direction), piled my luggage on a cart, wheeled it to the Speedlink departure door, loaded it with the driver's help, arrived at Heathrow, unloaded it onto another cart, re-checked it at the airport, just as if I'd started my flight from there. I had about 5 hours between flights, which in 2000 gave me about 2 hours to cool my heels in Heathrow. Nowadays, I doubt I'd have two hours.