Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > 6 days on ground in Munich - stay in Germany or go to Prague?

6 days on ground in Munich - stay in Germany or go to Prague?

Jun 20th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

6 days on ground in Munich - stay in Germany or go to Prague?

Hello - My husband and I are planning to trip to Munich in November (we realize the weather won't be awesome, but it's identical to home so we don't care!) We will have 6 days on the ground - figure cities will be preferable given the shorter amount of daylight and that weather may keep us from spending a ton of time outside. Torn between splitting time between Munich and Prague or whether we just stay in Munich and do day trips. Third option, stay in Munich and do a few nights somewhere else in Germany closer by. Any suggestions appreciated! thanks!

-Lauren
Jun 20th, 2018, 06:42 PM
kja

It depends on what YOU want to see and experience, but I would be mightily unhappy if I tried to see both Munich and Prague in the same 6 day period, as I would find the time too limited.

There's a LOT to see near Munich -- Salzburg, Innsbruck, Heidelberg..... Have you consulted a good guidebook?
Jun 20th, 2018, 09:05 PM

Hi emerylk,

Well, in this one case, kja has gotten it a bit off, I think -- Heidelburg isn't actually "near Munich." Heidelburg is about 3h30 or 3h40 away by car or 3h away by train. That's too far to consider it as a day-trip, but of course you could split up your vacation time and spend half in Munich and half in Heidelburg.

But with only 6 days on the ground, I agree with kja that it's not sufficient to really experience two major cities. Remember that when you change hotel bases, it will cost you about half a day doing the chores of packing up and checking out, then checking in again and unpacking. Add that to the travel time for the day, and most of the day is wasted; you're now down to only 5 days to see and experience stuff in two cities.

In addition to the excursions kja gave you, you can also visit Ulm (1h20 by train) and Regensburg (1h30 by train). I spent four nights in Regensburg last year and fell in love with the small city -- it's a warren of medieval streets and medieval churches that can keep you enchanted for hours. In addition, you could see Neuschwanstein castle and the sweet town of Füssen, Oberammergau and the Passion Play Theater, as well as Garmisch-Partenkirchen. If you have a clear day, you could ascend the Zugspitze (Germany's highest mountain), and/or walk around the Eibsee.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Jun 20th, 2018, 09:24 PM
kja

swandav has, of course, given you better information than I could -- but FWIW, I wasn't thinking that you would limit yourself to day trips, and so included Heidelberg as an option that might work more readily than Prague as a second destination with Munich as your foundation city.
Jun 21st, 2018, 08:37 AM

I don't see anything wrong whatsoever at spending 3 days each in those cities. Plenty of folks aren't interested in spending more time in either one. You will have to decide for yourself if you'd rather do day trips from Munich, though.
Jun 21st, 2018, 04:06 PM

All optons are great - if mainly interested in cities yes 3 and 3 with a bus or train ride in between. I like swandav's options of daytripping to nearby places - Nurnberg would also be great -and Salzburg Austria for a day sublime - easy train ride. And with all those options you can use the bargain Bavarian Ticket or Pass or whatever they call it where both can travel unlimited on regional trains for a full day -on and off anytime and city transports like in Munich with S- and U-Bahn. Buy that pass at stations. For lots on German trains check www.bahn.de/en - German Railways official site; www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

Of course if doing Munich and Prague book those tickets at www.bahn.de/en as soon as possible for ridiculously cheap fares over full walkup fares. Easy to do on own.
Jun 22nd, 2018, 04:01 AM

it seems to me that you would lose a lot of time traveling to/from Prague so I would recommend staying in Munich or combining Munich with another stay. (This is assuming you are flying RT to Munich)
A few other interesting cities for day trips from Munich include Augsburg and Landshut.

If you like wine, you might consider going to Würzburg overnight. You could see Nuremberg on the way there or back to Munich

Search this Thread