Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

50 Ways to leave your lover but how many European cities have connections to Catania,Sicily?

50 Ways to leave your lover but how many European cities have connections to Catania,Sicily?

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to get my daughter and myself to Catania Sicily next month and the Rome to Catania leg is causing us problems in scheduling. What other cities in Europe at major airports have connections to Catania,Sicily? We do not have the time to fly into Palermo(daughter's spring break and its their Easter week)so need any info into traveling the eastern side of Sicily.Thanks for any imput!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Try the Italian forum at about.com if no one here answers.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
http://forums.about.com/ab-italian/start
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:14 PM

We flew to Catania from Milan on Alitalia-about 2 hours
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:47 PM
rex

See www.whichbudget.com for the low-cost carriers. Others may exist, and www.opodo.do.uk is the best source of info I know - - you'll have to search city by city there.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 03:32 PM

Below is the URL to Catania Fontanarossa Airport. A little maneuvering around the website and you can get flight schedules for all flights coming into Catania. Alitalia, Air-One and Wind Jet all fly from Rome to Catania. Ther are also flights from several other Italian cities, including Milan and Venice, as well as a few Eurpoean cities (mostly in Germany.) Hope this helps.
http://www.aeroporto.catania.it/1024/en/home.htm
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:27 PM

There is a flight to Catania from Munich but I think it only goes on a Saturday. We used it in May 2004 when we took the Sicily Carousel coach tour. We flew back on the following Satuday from Catania to Nice, again via Munich.

I think there is also a flight direct from Vienna. Check the Star Alliance website.

Thought Catania was interesting.

Do hope this helps.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:51 PM

Why not Air One from Rome? We are doing that on 28 April.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! I am mainly concerned with trying to get back to Rome in the early morning from Catania to connect with our flight back to the states. I can change where we fly into from the states so was wondering if I could find a better connection deal without hassling with Rome? I will check some of the above mentioned sites. I am concerned that we want to travel on Easter weekend back to Rome and that alot of the flights to and from might not fly due to Good Friday,etc.Anyone have any hotels near the Rome airport that they want to recommend-I know that there is a Sheraton but anything else? Thanks! I believe that most of the flights back to the states that we want to travel on all leave before 1100am.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 11:52 AM

Since you ask about a hotel near the airport in Rome, I hope you are not really thinking of catching an early morning flight from Catania to connect with your transatlantic flight. It would, I think, be madness to count on a flight out of Sicily being on time.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:00 PM

I can't be of much help since we are just beginning to firm up our plans for September but right now we are looking at an open jaw flight into Pisa and out of Catania. Our departure options from Catania are either through Milan, Rome or Paris. The Rome option is on Air One. We found several options using Mobissimo.com.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:44 PM
vnh

London Gatwick to Catania with Air Malta. Did it last year - no problems with timings etc but I seem to remember it may not be a daily service, possible bi-weekly but you can check on www.airmalta.com
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:32 AM

I remember seeing a flight to Amsterdam from Catania but it may be only in the summer & I'm afraid I don't know which airline. Not KLM it seems. But Lufthansa flies to Frankfurt.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

I have tried posting 5 times to this today and it never goes through so here goes again.........thanks to all for your kind suggestions. I realize that the Catania-Rome deal would have to be a two day deal but was hoping to find something different for a direct connection. I was hoping to avoid Rome during the Easter weekend as I know that most of the hotels(even at the airport) would be packed. I will try the other suggestions-keep them coming as I am desperate !!!!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:42 PM

Eloise -- Have you had an experience with flights from Sicily being late/inconsistent? Or anyone reading this thread?

I am interested to know others' experiences as I am planning a similiar connection from either Trapani or Palermo to Rome in June.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Rbrazill-Thank you so much for the URL to Catania's airport-its made me realize that its either Milan or Rome that I will have to use as a connection point. I think that because its the low season there is not enough service/frequency out of the other cities.Air Malta would have been nice to London but its only one day a week right now. There is a 630am flight from Catania to Rome-do you folks think that it would be a " lost cause" to try and connect to a US carrier the same day using that? Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 10:40 PM
vnh

Just as a note to Presocia (although I know the question wasn't addressed to me - I hope you won't might my taking the liberty to reply) - I used to live in Palermo and flew back to London quite frequently (christmas/Easter/Summer) (Ryanair and British Midland) and I've flown into Catania a few times too (Air Malta). Also done a few Palermo/Rome and Palermo/Naples (Alitalia, Alpi Eagles) flights. I've never had any great problems with the flights leaving on time at all. Maybe Catania would be worse because it's busier in the summer but the most I've been delayed out of Sicily is 30 minutes. Maybe I've just been lucky! But it's a fair few flights.. I've had more problems out of London, but that would be for another thread!
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 07:31 AM

vnh -- Thank you for sharing your frequent flying experiences to/from Sicily. Anymore feedback for dutyfree on the early morning connection to Rome?