Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

5 hours in Prague airport - can you sight-see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are returning from Greece in May and will be stopping in Prague on the way home for 5 hours (arriving at 7:40 am and departing at 12:50 pm).

As we know nothing about where the airport is in relation to the city, can someone advise as to whether any sight-seeing is possible in this short time (a relatively short bus tour, for example?) and if so, what would be the best way to to both arrange for, and do it?
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:34 AM

The airport is 20-40 minutes from the city by car, depending on traffic. There is no train service from the airport, so a bus or taxi is your only option. Much of the old town and all of the Castle is pedestrian-only, so a bus tour does not really work. You could go to the Castle and see a good bit of it, and then walk down the hill to the Charles Bridge and see parts of the old town on either side of the river with what remaining time you have. You could also do the reverse. With a guidebook, you can do all this on your own, the old town is compact and can be covered in an hour or so at a good pace (not sure how enjoyable that would be. . .) You could also get a private guide for a walking tour of the Castle or the old town, run a search here for recommendations. Whatever you do, get a good street map of the city (e.g. the old town parts and the Castle) so you hopefully do not get lost.

If you will be there on a weekday, I hate to say that I am not sure I would chance it with that short a layover and given the distance between the city and the fact that there is no train to the airport, so you will be relying on taxi or a bus and traffic could be an issue. Even on a weekend you may be cutting it close. A lot would depending on how fast you get through immigration on the way in, whether you will already have your boarding passes for the connecting flight (should be issued at originating airport).
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:15 AM

I honestly don't think you have enough time. You have not told us where you are going home to. Are you going to the US? Flights returning to the US from foreign countries have stricter security than if you were returning to the UK or Canada. This means LONG LINES.

With absolutely no traffic, the drive from Prague Airport to the city center is at least 20-25 minutes. That gives you about an hour for travel time. Now, you only have 4 hours to see Prague. Give yourself at least 30 minutes to get though security (this is assuming that you already have your boarding passes, and your checked luggage was automatically transferred to your home flight from your flight from Greece). This gives you 3 1/2 hours to see Prague. You could see Prague Castle/St. Vitus in 3 1/2 hours, or you could view Charles Bridge/Old Town Square/have lunch on the river.

By the way, how are you going to get from Prague back to the airport??? It is EXTREMELY difficult to hail a cab on the street in Prague. Anytime I used a cab in Prague, I had to have my hotel call one for me. Maybe you can make an arrangement for someone to pick you up at a pre-assigned time and place? Check with a car service.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice - we are returning to Toronto.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:58 AM

I am always surprised to see replies that do not mention public transport. From airport you can take bus 119 to metro stop Dejicka and take that metro green line to Old Town. About an hour depending on connection times, but should be short at that time of day. The same time for return. Transit tickets or 24 pass available at airport.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:15 AM

Is that an hour each way on the bus, or total travel time??
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 09:37 AM

Somebody did mention the bus -- Cicerone. However, I don't think trying to learn a new city's metro/bus system in a language you don't know at all is an efficient way to spend a couple hours between flights. That's the reason it isn't suggested. With the waiting and changing from bus to metro, etc., and just trying to figure out the thing and where to get the tickets and the routes, this doesn't seem like a good use of time when taxis are so cheap in Prague and the city so close.

It does sound tempting as Prague is close, but I assume you have to be at the airport around 11 am and I think Canadians have special visa situations in the Czech Republic, don't they? I thought Candians needed visas to enter, even as a tourist.

Taking one of those airport shuttle vans would actually be a pretty easy idea, I'm sure they wouldn't care if you didn't have luggage. Just tell them to drop you at the Hotel U Prince which is on main Old Town Square. I don't know about the return trip and getting a taxi -- maybe you could ask them if you can schedule a return or something. Wouldn't there be plenty of taxis in front of some of the major hotels?

I would never try to plan a tour of the city with guidebooks, the castle, etc., that seems impossible. HOwever, if you can arrange the tranpsortation, you could just enjoy hanging around Old Town Square, that would be plenty for two hours. YOu could ask the airport shuttle van to pick you up at the Hotel U Prince, also.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Hi
I have worked as an air hostess a few years back so I am quite familiar with the situation...
If I listen to my brain I would say not to go, but if I were you I would definately use my few hours. Do not try to plan a lot, just get a taxi, or a bus and the subway and get in to the old town square. Wonder around have a beer, walk to the river check the bridge. Sit down and enjoy.
3 months ago I was on a meeting in Prague and although I has to use the metro I still went in for the city center for 2 hours as it is so beautiful. Decide what you want old town square+Jewish quarter or the caslte.
Take care
Tamás
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 11:10 AM

To nevertooold,

Perhaps you have known already, Canadïan doesn´t need visa to visit Czech for 90 days since May 2004.

Judy, in Prague