Prague, what to see in a few hours?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 01:34 PM
GSM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague, what to see in a few hours?

Hi,
We will be in Prague in July, due to a long layover flight. We will be arriving at 4:30pm and leaving next day at 12:30pm.
Is it possible to do some sightseeing? If yes, what would you recommend?
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Well if your only other option is sit in the airport, i would definitely go visit the old town square. Have dinner there at night and then wake up early and walk up to the castle before heading off to the airport. It will be well worth your time.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:19 PM

So are you going to stay overnight in Prague or just sleep at the airport?

It's very easy to get into Prague from the airport by bus and subway. The city is small and walkable, very friendly although you will find mobs of tourists nowadays. The Old Town Sqaure is really sweet, though, very charming, and a short stroll over to the Charles Bridge. You could see a lot in just a day and get a great flavor of Prague. Wow, I would love to layover there for a night again if not visit Prague again for a few days!

Andrew
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 05:07 PM
GSM
Original Poster

Thank you for you help.
We are planning to stay overnight in Prague.
I am glad that the city is small and walkable. It will make it much easier to see more of it.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:36 PM

Unless you plan to spend most of your time at the castle, book a hotel in old town, Kampa Island, or the portion of Mala Strana near the Charles bridge. That way most everything but the castle will be an easy walk and you won't have to waste time on trams. In old town the area around Wenceslas square is commercial rather than atmospheric. My own preference is Kampa Island. Arrange for transportation to the airport through the hotel because taxis can be dicey of you get one on the street. If you do hail a taxi, AAA and City Taxi company are the most reliable.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Be totally pickpocketproof (seriously!) and visit the Charles Bridge the evening of arrival, have dinner somewhere at random, stroll around, you'll get to Wenzels square (which is really more like a broad avanue) if you keep at it. Then the next morning early go up to the Hradschin, the castle - then it'll be time to make tracks to the airport. Better than nothing!

Wk
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 07:51 AM
GSM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
Now, I have a very good idea what I can do in Prague.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 12:00 PM

The castle was neat, but it was not the highlight of my visit to Prague (well, except for SEEING it from afar - neat view!). I more enjoyed walking around Old Town, the square, the Charles Bridge, and Mala Strana, than anything else. If I go back to Prague, I won't need to go see the castle again.

Andrew
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 01:51 PM

You could even try to catch a show, maybe at the Estates Theater, in one of the churches, or just head to a jazz club. I would probably just make it a late night, and then get up & catch a cab to the airport! Although, if you're a morning person, walking on the bridge early is nice. Less crowded & cooler. Oh, you could always do a little river cruise, too, which will give you a view of the town, without you having to traipse all over. They have some boats with live shows, too, like the jazz boat.