Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > 5 days to explore Gerrnany and surronding contries
Notices

5 days to explore Gerrnany and surronding contries

Mar 21st, 2016, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

5 days to explore Gerrnany and surronding contries

Our family of 5 (husband, I and 3 sons - 16, 18, 20) will be flying into Munich June 16 before heading to Greece on June 22. We are hoping to explore some of Germany and possible get a eurail ticket to explore Switzerland and Austria. We are not sure how to go about this and what is the best areas to see. Our boys have never been to Europe and my husband and I have never been to these countries. We are hoping to not have to rent a car. Is it easy to get around without a car? What are some good hotels to stay in? And Areas to explore. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Mar 21st, 2016, 11:36 AM

Is it easy to get around without a car>

extremely easy - trains go everywhere and are modern, fast, etc

5 days ain't much - I would concentrate on one area like Munich -you can take a day trip to Salzburg, Austria by train in about 1.5 hours each way- or go to Switzerland for the whole five days and to an Alpine Wonderland like the Jungfrau Region near Interlaken - the highlight to me of Alpine Switzerland.

Butif you base in Munich there are many many neat day trips and easy ones - like to Fussen and Neuschwanstein Castle - perhaps the world's most famous castle; Dachau concentration camp; Salzburg, etc.

anyway for lots of great info on trains check www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com- check the latter's free online European Planning & Rail Guide for lots of suggested places to go by rail in those countries.

There is no such thing as a Eurail ticket but a Eurail Pass which for you makes no sense - just buy regular tickets once there and check out the bargain Bavaria Pass where you all can travel unlimited throughout Bavaria for around 30-35 euros total - restricted to regional trains but that is fine for s relatively small area.
Mar 21st, 2016, 12:35 PM

Germany has more neighbours : Belgium, France, Poland, Denmark, Luxemburg, Czech Republic.

Seriously, it is absolutely impossible to see several countries in 5 days - look at a map, select some areas and come back with more focused questions.

Happy planning.
Mar 21st, 2016, 01:34 PM

I'm with Pal. Five days is too short a time to travel far out of Munich: Going to the Jungfrau region will take the better part of the days traveling to and from whatever place you would stay.

Enjoying Munich, exploring the German alps and possibly Salzburg will perfectly fill your days.
Mar 21st, 2016, 01:46 PM

I too am in the "stick to Munich" camp. you won't run out of things to do in and around the city.
Mar 21st, 2016, 02:01 PM

Munich / http://www.bmw-welt.com/en/visitor_i...urs/plant.html

Your family might like this tour, it was by the Olympic grounds and very interesting. Book ahead for the English tour.
Garmisch Partenkirchen is a train ride away and has a lot of outdoor options your sons would love.
Take the train to Salzburg for the day

You can get into Italy rather quickly from Germany.

Check out this blog on going. She went to Verona but Bolzano Italy is very beautiful.
Very easy to get around without a car.
Look at pensions, guesthouses and apartments if you want to base yourself in Munich.
I would do a couple of nights in Garmisch Partenkirchen and do a day trip from there into Italy via Innsbruck. It will be a whirlwind trip. Skip the dang Neuschwanstein Castle. The lines will be so long to get in and it just blows a whole day getting there.

Are you flying to Greece from Munich? You can spend the last night in Munich. Easy to get to the airport via the train.
Mar 21st, 2016, 02:03 PM

http://blog.eurail.com/munich-verona-train/

Sorry, forgot the link.
Mar 21st, 2016, 02:25 PM

A visit to nearby Dachau is an educational and somber experience to consider adding to the itinerary.
Mar 21st, 2016, 02:46 PM

Another vote for sticking to Munich,with maybe a day trip to Salzburg, to tic off another country.

Whathello, I now you don't lie the Dutch but the Netherlands also has a border with Germany. You missed us off your list.
Mar 21st, 2016, 02:58 PM

<>

when I was at school, [a very long time ago] one exercise our german teacher got us to do was to recite the nine countries bordering Germany [in German of course].

Then they were: France, Switzerland, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Poland, Denmark, Netherlands and Luxembourg.
Mar 21st, 2016, 03:15 PM

I hesitated with Hungary but wasn't sure how the borders were like 'down There'.
I confess I just didn't think of the Dutch.
Must talk about it to my psychoanalyst ;-)
Good night all ! Paris tomorrow morning !
Mar 21st, 2016, 04:10 PM

The last time Germany had a border with Hungary was from 1938-1945.
But at that time, it did not have a border with Austria.
Mar 21st, 2016, 06:01 PM

You could fly int and visit either Munich (and bavaria), Zurich (and the Berner Oberland) or Vienna (and see some of Austria). they are 3 separate options. There is no way you can see 3 countries in 5 days - and do you really have 5 days on the ground or is it 4.5 with the first half day when you land jetlagged? And will you leave for Greece on Day 6? Or late on day 5?
Mar 22nd, 2016, 08:39 AM

If you take the train from Munich to Passau, a neat city at the confluence of three main rivers you can indeed do three countries in one day - adjacent Austria and Czech Republic in addition to Germany!

but yes 5 days is not much time so stick to Germany and at most a brief excursion into one other country like Austria - the closest and easiest to do - Salzburg and its area could make a lovely 3 day trip.
Mar 22nd, 2016, 09:49 AM

getting off topic here, but can't resist ... Was thrown off by Hungary also (ok, yes, via occupied Austria - but following that logic there would be additional neighbouring countries) ... and annhig missed Belgium (sounds like you went to school after reunification - otherwise west germany did not have a border with Poland but with the DDR (German Democratic Republic - but then Hungary was out for sure ...)

Back to topic, stick to an Munich and surounding area, which could include day trips to already suggested Salzburg, Garmisch, potentially Dachau (if you want to get insight into one of the darkest chapters of German history) and some of King Ludwigs castles or maybe even a daytrip to Nuernberg - throw in a few small breweries and you should have more than enough for five days.
I would not consider Eurorail (too much time on the train) or for that matter any too long drives. The area around Munich has plenty to offer and enjoy.
Mar 22nd, 2016, 10:32 AM

and annhig missed Belgium (sounds like you went to school after reunification - otherwise west germany did not have a border with Poland but with the DDR (German Democratic Republic - but then Hungary was out for sure ...)

I wish! [that I'd gone to school after reunification!]

I don't remember our teacher differentiating between east and west Germany so far as this exercise was concerned, and I was sure that Hungary [or Ungarn] was one of them but I must have misremembered. How strange.

I my own defence it was a VERY long time ago. [as the reference to Czechoslovakia should have told you].

At least we agree about our advice to the OP.

Search this Thread