5 days in Paris

May 23rd, 2002, 11:29 AM
Tula

5 days in Paris

I will be arriving in Paris on Thursday June 6 and have done already pretty much all my "homework". I have a few questions though (keep in mind I'll be traveling alone):

1. From CDG to city: Shuttle or RER?
2. Suggestions for good theater, concerts, art galleries(besides the museums and other MUST SEE) Could be in English or Spanish.
3. Anyone knowing of a good Cuban place for music?
4. Good bargain stores for designer clothing and shoes.
5. Will definately be going to the flea market. Which one is best: St-Ouen de Clignancourt or Porte de Vanves and why?

I'll be going to Chambery after Paris for 2 days. Any suggestions as what to do there?

Also, after that i will be 5 days in Barcelona. Anybody with some good local tips? Clubs?

I'll appreciate any suggestions. I'm 36 and very open. Like arts, movies, theater and fun.

May 23rd, 2002, 11:43 AM
elaine

Hi
RER only if your luggage is very light.
Wheels don't help on station stairs.
I have not used the shuttle, but understand that sometimes you have to wait for it and sometimes not; reserve
it in advance and call when you arrive.

Performances in Paris:
www.pariscope.fr
www.fnac.fr
www.ticketnet.fr order tickets for concerts, including Ste Chapelle
web site for the orchestra that plays at St Chapelle is www.archetspf.asso.fr
www.ticketavenue.com “ “ “www.ampconcerts.com
www.leconcertographe.com
www.ticket-finders.com/
www.paris.org/ Click on Calendar for events
www.paris-ile-de-france.com/eng lots of info, including opera
www.paris-promotion.fr restaurants, museums, monuments
www.parisvoice.com, a guide in English to arts and restaurants
www.timeout.com/paris performances,concerts, weather,activities,nightlife

www.opera-de-paris.fr http://www.musique-en-sorbonne.org/ concerts at the Sorbonne
http://www.theatreonline.com/ order tickets

Le Kiosque Theatre sells (or used to) theatre tickets at a saving. One kiosque is across from 15 Place de la Madeleine near the Madeleine metro station on the west side of the church. Tickets are sold for same-day performances. Kiosques are open Tues-Sat 12:30 pm to 8pm, and Sundays from 12:30 to 4pm. Closed on Sundays during July and August. No credit cards.

May 23rd, 2002, 12:43 PM
s.fowler

Try http://www.pariscope.fr/
Select "musique" then under genre select "world". I noticed a couple of latin groups in the list. It's in French, but the basic information is easily understood.

May 23rd, 2002, 12:50 PM
Gretchen

Clignancourt and Vanves are apples and oranges in the way of flea markets. Vanves is a "real" flea market, small, cheap, varied. Clignancourt is an area of permanent shops, high end.

May 23rd, 2002, 12:54 PM
Lynn

I just got back from over two weeks in France (five spent in Paris). One of the highlights of my time in Paris was walking all over the city, of course (one morning beginning at about 5:45 a.m. - what fun to watch Paris wake up and good for me to get over jet lag) and getting tickets in St. Chappelle for a Mozart concert. The tickets were $25 Euros and well worth it. What a lovely experience it was!

May 23rd, 2002, 01:06 PM
Carolyn

CDG to city: Shuttle or RER? The RER is quicker, especially during the rush hours; however, as a previous post stated, be prepared for stairs in the Metro stations.

I traveled to Barcelona for the first time in February. I was delighted by the city; it definitely vies for the top spot on my "favorite city" list.

May 23rd, 2002, 02:02 PM
Beth

We used ticketavenue.com to buy our tickets to a gospel performance at the American Church and also a violin/cello/trumpet classical at St. Chappelle. Bought and paid for both over the internet (each 25 Euros which gave us front section seating-lst and 2d rows for us); vouchers were waiting at the hotel when we arrived. Both concerts were wonderful; there is something about a church as the performance hall, and it was such fun to have such variance in the programs.

May 23rd, 2002, 02:31 PM
Lynn

I also went on Sunday to the St. Supplice cathedral in Paris to hear the pipe organs - about 10:30 a.m., I think. Well worth hearing

May 23rd, 2002, 03:02 PM
Bob C

You can get St. Chappelle concert tickets at the church. There is a ticket table setup just outside the church. They will show all the concerts that will be taking place and you can get your tickets.

May 23rd, 2002, 03:07 PM
Lynn

That is what we did (got them at the ticket table at the church), but in retrospect, it would be better to get them in advance, because we had probably a 45-min wait in line to get the tickets.

May 23rd, 2002, 03:33 PM
Sue

We bought our tix to Ste. Chapelle concert (lovely!) a couple days in advance at ticket counter in FNAC, the chain bookstore, of which there are many locations in Paris.