Search

4 days in paris

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2018, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 days in paris

we will be staying in Paris for 4 days in Oct.We would like some recommendations for an area to stay.We have stayed in the Latin Quarter and the Marais and would like to try somewhere else. we would like cafes, shopping,and metro stop.I thought about Montmart area but am totally unfamiliar with the area.Also around the Eiffel Tower.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 10:15 AM

Montmartre is a bit far removed from the center of Paris. What about the 1st. arrondissement?
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 11:01 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Montmartre is my favorite area to stay and has metro service, of course, but also good bus routes to the center of town (both sides of the river) which I much prefer. You may have to walk down the hill either direction to reach transport but don't be put off the area because you or others aren't familiar with it. Every time I've stayed elsewhere I'm sorry and go right back uphill next time. Give it a try, you can always go back to the flats next visit if it doesn't suit you for one reason or another.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 11:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
7th
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 11:29 AM

The 7th, where I used to stay frequently, is nice enough, but rather quiet and dull. Our favorite new neighborhood in Paris is the 11th.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 12:50 PM

I think Montmartre is a great idea. You don't mention a budget but take a look at the Terrass Hotel http://terrass-hotel.com/ It's a great spot for exploring the more charming, less gritty parts of Montmartre. And it has an incredible rooftop bar and restaurant. Easy access to both metro and bus stops. There are tons of cafes and botiques shops.

Alternatively, the So-Pi area (south of Pigalle) of the 9th is really an up and coming zone for restaurants, bars and shops. Le Pigalle is a trendy hip hotel right in the midst of the bar zone. Check out LuLu White, across the street, for jazz, absynthe flights and fun.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 02:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I really like the 14th but we are staying in the second next week. I just wanted to be in the center of things since the weather could be iffy.
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 06:10 AM

Just about every arrondisement would have an area that suits that criteria, so who's to say where you should go. I think when people say "around the Eiffel Tower" they don't really mean that literally, at least not by my definition. If so, I wouldn't recommend that at all, to be right around the EIffel Tower. I think people usually mean more around Ecole Militaire metro stop/rue Cler. I think that's a good idea, lots of people like it there.

I've stayed in numerous areas that would fit that definition, including Montparnasse, the 15th around metro St Michel, the 13th/border of 5th around Gobelins, and in the 9th between Pigalle and Ste Trinite church (I think this is what Belinda is referring to), as well as the Bastille area or north of there towards Republique. Any of them would do, also, by those criteria. It's really kind of hard NOT to be near a metro stop and cafes. I don't know about the shopping issue or what that means, in particular. If it's food or "stuff." I hate shopping, but of course, any of the ones I named is around some kind of markets or a boulangerie or something like that. Montparnasse does have lots of shopping in the mall and rue de Rennes, though.
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 08:34 AM

DH and I stayed in Montparnasse one time in order to be near the train station that was going to Chartres. We ending up enjoying that general area very much and returned to various places. Google "Montparnasse hotels" and you'll find a bunch. On our first trip we stayed very close to the Arc de Triomphe ( https://ceramic-paris-hotel.com/ ) and it was an easy jaunt to Champs Elysee (big metro under it) in one direction and the big department stores in the other.

Also google "st germain de pres hotels" for ideas--this will get you closer to Tour Eiffel.

As we got older, we preferred busses to the metro (because of steps) but you can get "everywhere" using public transportation. Google bus routes 69 and 95--lots of stops.

Have a great time and please report back about what you chose and how it all worked out.

Last edited by TDudette; Feb 7th, 2018 at 08:40 AM. Reason: bus info