Which area is Paris?

Old Feb 18th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which area is Paris?

Hi Everyone!

After researching Italy (for weeks) as our family's destination this summer, our plans have changed! We are now going to Egypt for a month (July) and then Paris for 5 days (first week of August) on our way back to the States. [Yes, we are aware of the political situation but friends living there say we'll be ok (we're not Egyptian but my kiddos are learning Arabic hence my hubby's insistence we go to Egypt this summer).]

Anyhoo, this post is about Paris.

What area in Paris should we stay in? We want to be walking distance from the major sites but also near a supermarket (of course in a safe neighborhood too!). We're a family of 5 (mom, dad, twin girls ages 12 and a teen son age 14). In short, we LOVE walking everywhere we go, grocery shopping, art, architecture and just more walking!

For budget reasons, we probably should look into renting an apartment. Any recommendations?

What are the top, must do things we should put on our itinerary list? Admittedly I haven't done any research (I love hearing first from fellow fodorites). I know we want to see the Eiffle Tower (duh), Louvre, Versailles, Notre Dam Cathedral and a cruise on the Siene (I know I'm spelling all this wrong but sorry). Besides that, I have no ideas. We do want to stay in Paris since we only have 5 days and will have already been exhausted/homesick from Egypt.

Thanks in advance for any travel tips you can provide me!
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 11:11 AM

You cannot be "walking distance to the major sites" no matter where you choose to stay. Paris wasn't built for the convenience of visitors but rather assembled over many centuries by a variety of people with a variety of purposes. That's why there's public transport.

There is food everywhere in Paris - you can't go ten feet without finding some, so being near a major supermarket should not be a concern. There will be FranxPrixs, Monoprixs, charcuteries, boulangeries, patisseries, fromageries, etc., no matter where you are, not to mention outdoor markets, so obtaining food supplies shouldn't be a concern at all.

Most first-time visitors find it best to be in the 4th-7th arrondissements. You need to get a map and learn the lie of the city so you can choose what you want to be near - also to learn about how to get around on the métro and busses. Any guidebook will flesh out what there is to do in Paris, as well as reading the thousands and thousands of posts here on Fodors.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 11:11 AM

Skip Versailles. It will take a whole day out of your 5.

Do the 5 days include the travel days when you get there and when you leave? If so, it will be too short a time to make an apartment possible. Most rent for a week at least.

If not, look at the end of the Marais near the river, near the St Paul Metro stop. There is a good Monoprix supermarket in that area, I think on the rue St Antoine near the end of the rue de Turennes, there are lots of little take-out shops (traiteurs) and the transportation (bus to Notre Dame and the Left Bank, Metro to the Louvre and beyond) is really good.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 11:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The metro system is so convenient (and kids love to take it so much) that there is no need to stay in the center. If you want to walk to too many places, you will frustrate the kids and their excitement over new transportation systems.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 12:37 PM

Here is a recent post on the areas of Paris:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-for-paris.cfm
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<we want to see the Eiffle Tower (duh), Louvre, Versailles, Notre Dam Cathedral and a cruise on the Siene>

You really don't need to add all that much more since you only have 5 days, and Versailles will take up 1 of them.

Pick a central arrondisement like 5th or 6th. No place is close to everything but these are the closest to the most.

You can plan walking tours each day (get a street map of Paris) and add some things like Luxembourg Gardens, the Tuilleries, Arc de Triomphe, etc. just as you're walking around.