COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

3-Star Hotels in Roma Centro Storico

Old Apr 11th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

3-Star Hotels in Roma Centro Storico

Hello Everyone, I am helping first-time visitors to not only Roma, but Italy. This couple (healthy in their mid 60s) will arrive Fiumicino Aeroporto on September 22, 2014. They would like to stay in a hotel for three nights that is well-located with good reviews (don't we all?).

My files from my last trip to Rome in 2006 are corrupt and I can't access them, so we are starting from scratch. Since it is possible that the weather will be hot, air conditioning is essential, also a lift. She and her husband understand the city will still be busy with tourists at that time, and they need to make a decision about a hotel soon. Preferably room rates of between 150 - 180 euros per night including continental breakfast.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 11:46 AM

Albergo del Senato overlooks the Pantheon and we loved it! We stayed for several nights in 2012, and loved the location. It's within walking distance of many of the famous sites, and there are many nice restaurants nearby. The staff is very friendly, and we had a fantastic stay.

I'm not sure what their rates are, but you can google them and get a link to their website. You usually get the best rate and rooms if you email the hotels directly. Happy planning!
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 11:50 AM

Don't focus on the number of stars. The rating system doesn't equate to anything like the U.S. system. I can highly recommend the Hotel Modigliani, though I'm not sure what the current rates are.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Yes St.Cirq, without my spreadsheet, I had completely forgotten about Hotel Modigliani. Also the Santa Chiara behind the Pantheon is lovely...don't know about their rates.

I don't think this couple will focus on the number of stars, however, it seemed to be a good starting point for them.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 12:26 PM

Star rating is often a poor proxy for determining what you are looking for. Use specific items you are after: lift, BF, Wifi, AC, etc. to get precisely what you are looking for. Also, staying in Rome upon arrival may not be the most effective way to use time or money. I am not sure how much thought they have put into the itinerary, but many first timers automatically assume they must stay in the city that the plane lands. Many times it makes sense to put Rome at other part of the itinerary even if they land in Rome.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 12:31 PM

Well, the del Senato FITS all of your STATED requirements: well-located, gets great reviews from people who have actually stayed in it, has a lift, and is air conditioned. And since that is what you said you wanted I do not understand all this stuff about the star ratings.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 12:50 PM

IMO no need to worry about the breakfast - there are so many places in Rome where you can get a capppuccino and a cornetto that it's really not worth bothering about.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 01:01 PM

Del Senato has a nice breakfast with lovely cappuccino as another perk...
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 01:02 PM
WWK

I love Albergo Del Senato and have stayed there many times. But now that it's something like #3 in Rome, I doubt you'll get it for your stated budget, even in late September.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 01:13 PM

The Fontanella Borghese shows availability of a standard double room starting Sept. 22 for 167 euros a night. I like the location at the foot of the Via Condotti, about halfway between the Spanish Steps and the Piazza Navonna.

http://www.fontanellaborghese.com/en...otti-rome.html
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

I do remember staying for one night in 2006 at the Hotel San Carlo, which was tired at that time, but looking at their web site today, it looks like there have been many improvements in the property. I'll suggest taking a look atthat hotel to them.

Greg, I spoke with them about arriving in Venezia vs. Roma. Depart for NY from Roma. They liked that suggestion.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 02:03 PM

I like the location of the Fontanella Borghese. I don't think much is going to be available at their price range, so if that's their choice, they probably would do well to take it. Providing it has all the required amenities.

The hotel used to be one of two owned by the same woman; don't know if it still is. The other was the Due Torri. Also a good location.

Neither of these would be less tired that the San Carlo. But the del Senato is completely out of their price range

I might also consider the Parlamento. Again, nothing like the del Senato but again, nothing like those prices.

My favorite would be the Portoghesi, but I don't know if it's available for 180. Might be.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

tuscanlifeedit, OMG, you brought back memories of all the hotels in Rome I had forgotten...so much for our paperless filing systems now. Good ole paper worked every time!

Yes, I agree with everything you said. I will check all the hotels mentioned prior to speaking with this couple. Mille grazie!
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 04:42 PM

i_am_kane

Yep, paper files still in my file cabinets! However, these are in my electronic files too.

These are all hotels I've stayed in or have put clients in, or have visited with friends. My own price range is much more like that of your friends, so I keep these handy.

I can probably name 4 or 5 more that are in the next price category (220 or so?).
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

tuscanlifeedit,

Thank you for the offer of additional hotels, but let's hold off until I speak with them.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 05:59 AM

FWIW: two weeks ago, I stayed at the Hotel Portoghesi for 4 nights. We last stayed there in 1989 with our then-8-year-old son, and we could not have been happier with the accommodations and the service as well as the location.

For various reasons (most of all the increased prices and non-availability), we stayed elsewhere on our numerous returns to Rome over the years. When I was able to get a reservation at HP for 4 nights at a decent price this year, I jumped at the chance.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed. The location is great, of course (though not, imo, as great as the Residenza Canali ai Coronari, also near Piazza Navona), but the service and facilities are not what they used to be (or at least, not as I remembered them having been!)

We had requested a "quiet room" -- we were given a quiet room that was dark, cramped, and had no view other than hotel walls. We asked if there might be another room with a better view. Though the receptionist was initially a bit huffy ("you said you wanted a quiet room, and that's the view in a quiet room!"), they did accommodate us and we were given a room with a more pleasant view (and more noise, but c'est la vie).

Pluses: there is a functioning elevator (which is why they are able to charge more than the nearby Coronari.) Everything was clean (though we had to ask for toiletries to be replaced on the second day. Maybe the maid just forgot.)

We did not eat breakfast there, so I cannot comment on that. The personalities of the receptionists were mixed: one or two were helpful and cordial; several others were aloof and seemed to want to be anywhere but where they were.

I don't think I'd choose to stay at the HP again.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the update. We also stayed in the Portoghesi more than 20 years ago and loved it. But as the crowds in Rome (esp. that area) became more enormous over the years, we found we don't like being too close to Navona... which seems to run counter to what many here recommend.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 11:42 AM

"We had requested a "quiet room" -- we were given a quiet room that was dark, cramped, and had no view other than hotel walls. We asked if there might be another room with a better view. Though the receptionist was initially a bit huffy ("you said you wanted a quiet room, and that's the view in a quiet room!"), they did accommodate us and we were given a room with a more pleasant view (and more noise, but c'est la vie)."

Hotel Portoghesi is a 27-room hotel, occupying an ancient, 4-story building, in a heavily congested area-of-alleys known as the "baroque nook." The building faces one street, Via dei Portoghesi. Realistically, what kind of "view" could anyone truly expect or hope for?

If you're going to voice a request for a "quiet room," especially in the tightly-crammed city center of Rome, chances are you're going to get a room facing away from any street. Depending on the geographical location of the building, chances are, all "quiet" hotel rooms come with no window or windows that open onto adjacent buildings.

I imagine it must be awfully frustrating to deal with customers who make special requests and then change their minds at the last minute, when they realize they didn't think first. I think these customers deserve "huffy" service.

If you want a room with a view in Rome, expect noise. If you want quiet, expect no view. La vie in Rome really is that simple.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 08:08 PM

NYCFoodSnob, I'm neither as naive nor as unreasonably demanding as you seem to imply.

Nor am I as ill-informed about the city as you seem to imply. I have stayed in the Centro Storico at least 10 times over the past 30 years; and on other visits, I have also stayed in other areas, including Trastevere. I don't pretend to know Rome as well as some -- and I may not know it as well as you -- but if I didn't know and love the city as much as I do, I would not return as many times as I have since 1971.

I have, in fact, managed to have both quiet and view in the Centro -- e.g., at the Residenza Canali Coronari (which is in a quiet and beautiful area off Via dei Coronari).

La vita in Rome really is that multifaceted.
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

I just got back to this thread to let everyone who helped me be informed about my friends, who were first-time visitors to Roma. They landed in Venezia, next Firenze and then to Roma.

They stayed four nights at the Hotel Portoghesi, which satisfied them completely - remember they have nothing to compare to. Anyway, the roof-top patio suited them just fine because the weather was perfect, they did enjoy a roof-top view of the city, met other guests at the hotel and shared a glass of vino with them.

All's well that ends well - that's what I say!