Search

Going to Rome on December 27th with my girlfriend

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to Rome on December 27th with my girlfriend

Hello,
I just booked my flight to Rome last night, December 2, and i could really use some help. I am 27 years old. I am looking for a 4 to five star hotel.. I am looking to pay 2 to 3 hundred us dollars a night. I really dont know anything about the city and would appreciate any suggestions on what area to stay in or hotels. I am looking for night life suggestions. I am also staying there until Jan 4th so would have no problem traveling to Florence, or any other city. Basically i need a lot of help and have read through the posts here and think this is definately the place to get it.
Thank you,
Daniel
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 07:21 AM

Ok, get started.
At the top of this screen, click on Hotels, go to the Rome listings. Find a few that have customer comments that sound good. Another place to browse for hotels is www.venere.it, but again, match the listings with customer comments here at fodors, and also at tripadvisor.com

Most popular hotel areas in the Historic Center, look for locations like Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Campo dei Fiori.

My preferred (so far) hotel is the Santa Chiara, I think it's a 4 star, but I don't usually pay attention to those things. Excellent location, not luxury, but very nice. Smallish rooms.
Across the street is the grander
Grande Hotel Minerve, I've had some family stay there, quite luxurious. Same great location. About 2-3 blocks from those hotels is the Albergo del Senato, very popular on this message board, I would also consider that place.

You might want to look into what's open on Jan 1 or Jan 2 in terms of activities; many places likely to be closed. You might also want to consider booking now for a place to dine on New Year's Eve.

I have a file on Rome; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
good luck
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 07:54 AM
JonJon

I would also look on discount sites such as Discounthotel and compare the prices with those shown by the Venere site. Once you've picked a few candidates, and if you have time, you can e-mail them directly and ask for their best rate quote.
Another booking service you could try is SRS-world hotels or Utell (these latter are not discount sites). Some of the most "luxurious" hotels are not necessarily "centrally" located...several nearer the Borghese Gardens such as the Lord Byron and Aldrovandi Palace and several are on the Via Veneto such as the Westin and a few more closer to the Spanish Steps. Rome is fairly easy to walk around in and some simply spring for taxis which are numerous; plus there is the Metro and busses...my point is that I wouldn't get totally hung up on "being central" but it is,obviously helpful for most folks. Enjoy your trip.

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:50 AM

I stayed at the Inn on the Spanish Steps a few weeks ago, and really liked that. It's a small hotel, right next door to Cafe Greco on the Via Condotti. Different sizes of rooms, but all very charming, with original ceilings. There's a small lounge/breakfast area on the top floor. It's 4 star I think. If you stay 3 nights they pay for a limo to the airport.
Another place I went into, but where I haven't stayed is the new Hotel Art on the Via Margutta (really lovely street near the Spanish Steps). This is very modern, with a hip-looking restaurant/bar on the ground floor. Both are at Small Luxury Hotels (www.slh.com).
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:16 AM

Per your comment about possibly going to Florence after the 4th, keep in mind that the Fashion shows begin on the 7th and all the hotels seem to be booked from 6th to the 10th of January. I discovered this when planning my trip and found that I could only get a room in Florence if I checked out on the 6th.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 04:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't get hung up on the number of stars... Stars are determined by the number of amenities (i.e., parking, restaurant, elevator, internet access, A/C, etc.) Stars do NOT reflect quality, cleanliness, friendliness, atmosphere, etc., based on an inspection.

Do some research here and in guide books. Have a good map to refer to. Decide first what general location you'd like to stay in, then list the hotels in your price category and compare them for what is important to you.

Do you want an historical or romantic atmosphere or do you prefer a modern, contemporary feel? Do you like the idea of a chain, American-style hotel? Is a restaurant (room service?) in the hotel important? Do you want a view?
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 04:46 AM

In that price range, it may be difficult to find a 5*, but you can certainly find a very nice hotel. The Santa Chiara is actually a 3*, but as mentioned, the * system does not necessarily correspond to the luxury and quality of the hotel, just the amenities. Many 3* hotels are just as nice, or nicer than some 4*. Do a text search here on 'Rome AND Hotel", you'll get many good suggestions. You can also check Tripadvisor.com. When considering hotels, also consider the location. Mpost people seem to prefer the Navona/Pantheon/Campo Dei FIori location or the SPanish Steps area.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 06:08 AM

Hi,
Have you considered renting an apartment? We stayed at Palazzo Olivia. THe apartment was beautiful, not too expensive, and close to everything. The owners are very helpful. Also, we hired a tour guide for a morning and an afternoon which was very helpful. Have fun.