2 days in London

Search

2 days in London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2023, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 days in London

Hello. I'm traveling from the US with a friend who never has been to London. We arrive on a Thursday morning and will have that day and Friday. We're staying near Trafalgar Square. Top on her list is Harrod's, and I'm thnking we'll take the subway there Thursday morning and work our way back. We also want to go to the Tower and Westminster Abbey. I'm trying to figure out the logistics. Should we do Westminster after Harrod's on Thursday, when we'll likely be very tired, or should we do the Tower and Westminster both on Friday? I know it seems inconsequential, but I can't decidon a plan.. Thank you for your suggestions.
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 06:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You mean to take the Underground/Tube to Harrods- a'subway' in London is a pedestrian under crossing.

Are you arriving long haul? If so Harrods is just about to the last place I'd want to visit on arrival day. But if you must you must. What I'd maybe consider is wander around Trafalgar Square and maybe Covent Garden while waiting for your hotel room to be ready. Then after you check in, and freshen up -- maybe even take a short nap (I personally never nap on arrival day but it might help here) -- then head to Harrods in the late afternoon. I'd rebook either a late afternoon tea or an early dinner in one of the MANY restaurants in Harrods. That way you can see the store, and have an meal - then head back to the hotel and crash.

Hit the Tower right at opening time Friday -- stay through lunch time and then go to the Abbey aroud 2PM.
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 07:28 PM

Do Harrods on your arrival day. IMO it os a total waste for time for someone who has never been to London, but you may as well waste it there when you are jet lagged. Just get the Piccadilly (blue) line from Leicester Sq. IMHO the most interesting part of Harrods is the Food Hall.
We live in London for part of the year and when friends come to stay an only have limited time, we suggest the following;
  • Start at Green Park tube station
  • Walk through Green Park to The Mall, cross the Mall right in front of Buckingham Palace into St James Park
  • Walk around St James Park to Parliament Square for views of Big Ben , Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament (maybe a slight diversion up Whitehall to Downing Street
  • Get a boat (Uber or Tour boat) from Westminster pier to Tower Bridge
  • Visit the Tower of London (before I retired , for several years my office directly overlooked the Tower. Still haven't got around to going inside!!) . I am told that it takes 2-3 hours to visit. The queues always seemed horrendous so I suppose you could reverse this itinerary in the hope that it would be less crowded first thing.
  • Head back to Trafalgar Square and maybe explore Soho, Covent Garden, Piccadilly etc.
The Subway/London Underground/Tube is by far the easiest and most time efficient means of getting around the city but it is of course, underground . Buses may also be almost as efficient on certain sections so it may be worth taking a peek at the Transport For London website when planning your transport. Sometimes nothing beats the top deck of a double decker bus for views of London.

Old Aug 25th, 2023, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by crellston
. . .
  • Visit the Tower of London (before I retired , for several years my office directly overlooked the Tower. Still haven't got around to going inside!!) . I am told that it takes 2-3 hours to visit. The queues always seemed horrendous so I suppose you could reverse this itinerary in the hope that it would be less crowded first thing. . . ..
Having visited the Tower many times both during the day and after hours, there is essentially no queue if one arrives a bit before opening time. The queue grows exponentially through the day until after say 3:30 PM when it starts to shrink. As soo as one enters, they should immediately head to the Jewel House and see the Crown Jewels with no crowds, then return to the entrance and join up with a Yeoman Warder's tour. If you dawdle and try to hit the Jewel House later the queue to get in can be over an hour. A cursory first visit takes a minimum of 90 minutes to 2 hours - but once you add in the Yeoman Warder's tour (highly recommended), exploring the White Tower (also a must), other open areas, and one or more of the gift shops (that may sound meh, a couple of the gift shops are really worthwhile) count on 3.5-4 hours. Some people spend all day but that's a slog -- especially jet lagged.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 06:04 AM

Hi cgreer426 . After/before Harrods, your friend may want to walk to the V&A for a peek at their gift shop and a tea in their cafe, or (better) if the outdoor cafe is open, that might be nice/easy, too. Then, if your energy levels allow, walk north to Hyde Park and take the historic Rotten Row or carriage drive back into the city. You'll get fresh air and lovely views on your first day. Yes, agree to do the Tower and Westminster on your more-rested days.

(Also, don't know the reason Harrods is meaningful for your friend, but i enjoyed browsing their pet supply floor.) Have fun!
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 07:03 AM
P_M

As a history buff I think your time is much better spent at the tower and the abbey than an overpriced department store. Harrods has a nice food court but other than that, it was a complete waste of time for me.

Having said all that, if it's on your bucket list then do it, but don't spend too much time there.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 10:10 AM

I enjoyed poking around the V&A when I was jet lagged and a cup of tea in their courtyard was reviving. I also like crellston's walking ideas around Buckingham Palace, Westminster, Big Ben, etc. Perhaps you can visit Harrod's and then so some combination of the walk and Westminster Abbey (if you have energy) or a free museum of interest for as long as you have the stamina.

I agree with starting at the Tower first thing in the morning on Friday.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 11:07 AM

On your first day, you might find it better to take a bus so you could take the No 9 bus from Trafalgar Square /The Strand along Piccadilly to Knightsbridge and then walk to Harrods. Have a light lunch there and then retrace your steps but get off the bus at Piccadilly and explore or as crellston has suggested get off at Green Park and walk through Green Park to Buckingham Palace, Westminster, etc. If you are feeling ok in the evening, walk from your hotel to Covent Garden for dinner.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 11:10 AM

I personally wouldn't even try to squeeze in the Abbey on Day 1. it takes quite a bit of time . . . and it would be an expensive excursion if you crash and burn once you get inside - it will cost £54. for the two of you - a little less if you are Concessions.

The V&A could make a lot f sense -- it is walking distance from Harrods, it is free so you if you have to cut the visit short due to jet lag, you won't be out any ££, and it has outdoor seating if you just need some fresh air.

So Harrods -- and if you are feeling semi-up to it - the V&A, or a walk around Westminster/Green Park/St James's Park if the weather is cooperating.

The next day you can do the Tower and Westminster Abbey - be sure to prebook the Abbey tickets for mid afternoon. By far the busiest times at the Abbey are between opening and about 12:30 or 1PM. So you could hit both the Tower (AM) and Abbey (PM) during their slightly less crowded periods.
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 08:07 AM

I wouldn't miss walking through Green Park/St. James Park, go by Buckingham Palace and stroll in Hyde Park. Personally, I'd only do one indoor thing per day and be outside the rest of the time, weather permitting. I enjoyed the Churchill War Rooms and National Gallery way more than Harrods. And I liked walking around Mayfair.
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 09:18 AM

Just wanted to say that we can't know the reason why the OP's friend wants to visit Harrod's. Maybe there's some sentimental reason she wants to go. Maybe a loved one asked her to visit, or bring something back, or whatever. Maybe she feels a great sadness about Diana and Dodi Fayed. Who knows? (To understand all is to forgive all, as they say.) Harrod's is usually not high on anyone's list to visit, but people find meaning in their travel in different ways.
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 09:25 AM

All sorts of good ideas above -- but you realistically only have 1.5 days free to see/do so not enough time for much. Harrods (wouldn't be my choice but it is for your friend so that's probably a given) plus V&A and/or a park/scenic walk on day 1 and two major sites on Day 2 -- the Tower and Westminster Abbey if those are your musts (good choices) or any two biggies -- St Paul's, the British Museum, the National Gallery/National Portrait Gallery, Churchill War Rooms (about a 5 minute walk from the Abbey), etc. Most 'biggies take 2 or 3 hours when transport is added in so one in the morning, a nice lunch somewhere, and one in te afternoon.

You do have the advantage the Friday is your second day and some places are open late friday night; National Gallery, National Portrait National Gallery are open til 9, the British Museum til 8:30 so you could fit in an extra site either before or after dinner.