Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Geneva airport to Rolle, book a pickup, hail a taxi or get an Uber?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2023, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving in Geneva at 7am in early November on a Wednesday. Going to Rolle from there. We don't plan on renting a car, so what's the best way to transfer? Should we book a pickup in advance, hail a taxi from the airport, or use Uber? Is there much of a cost difference? Do taxis take credit cards?

After our stay we need to get to train station, so same question for that transfer?

We'll be taking a train to Lyon, France. Do we need to get that ticket in advance, or just get it at the train station?

Thanks
Old Aug 22nd, 2023, 07:44 PM

Hi MFNYC,

Is there any reason you're not taking the train? There is a train station at the airport and one in Rolle, too, so that would be the cheapest way. The Swiss rail site sbb.ch says the trip takes an hour with one change.

The distance is only about 22 miles, so the reason it takes so long is probably because the second part of the train trip is by local train, with lots of stops. There is one direct train at 06.30, which sadly you couldn't take, but it only takes 33 minutes. I didn't see any other no-changes trips.

About 20 years ago, I took a taxi about the same distance, and it cost 50 chf -- taxis are expensive in Switzerland. You could take a train from the airport to Nyon, and then a taxi from there, which would be cheaper.

For your onward travel, again, there is a train station in Rolle, so just take the train from there.

Tickets for long-distance trains are cheaper when you buy in advance, but then you will be tied to that specific train. I'd buy that ticket as soon as my travel plans were in place.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 12:50 AM

I used to work in Rolle (some time ago). The train is your best choice and taxis are extremely expensive (Rome2Rio estimates 150E). Town cars may actually be cheaper (which is my recollection as well, when we had to arrange transport). However, Rolle itself not a large town, although it has seen a lot of development the last ten to 12 years. Are you getting picked up or staying there? A car is best for navigating around there, sometimes there are no sidewalks on the road. You don't see a lot of visitors to arrive there, unless it is for business or le Rosey, and there is just the Hostellerie.
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

We are visiting a friend (with health issues) in Rolle just for 2 nights. We're staying walking distance from his home. Someone may be available to pick us up, but that's up in the air. We aren't really sight-seeing, or anything like that while there. We do plan on going to Lyon and Paris afterwards, for vacationing (and will use trains for those connections). I looked at trains from the airport, but didn't want to deal with train changes, when tired from overnight flight (I sleep awful on planes) and having luggage to deal with. In my googling, it said taxi could be as much as $200, and drivers don't always want to go that far. Car service seems cheaper, and from what I read, Uber is usually a good value as compared to taxis. The trip itself may not happen depending on friend's health, so I don't want to pre-book anything that I can't cancel at this point, but as the date approaches and the trip is on, I want to finalize these arrangements.
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 01:02 AM

Yes, I would look into a town car service or Uber, that would get you directly to the door. I do not have any recommendations there. You should not worry about the trains with connections (or for your return). There is just a short trip, a couple minutes, from the station right outside the airport to the main train station. There you can take one of the regular trains up the lake. Swiss trains are among the best in the world: clean, always on time, usually not packed and of course safe. When there, you should try the local specialty the "Malakoff" (the original is from nearby Vinzel), a fritter of cheese. Best wishes to you and your sick friend.
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 04:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Shuttle services from GVA airport to Rolle cost about 225 euros in November 2023 (shuttledirect.com). Meanwhile there are 56 trains a day from Geneva airport to Rolle with a change in Geneva for about 20 euros if bought ahead ot time.
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

On the Rome2Rio site it says the train change is in Morges, which is past Rolle. What is a good website for Geneva train info? Changing in Geneva seems more sensible. Is it a straight forward transfer? We are used to public transportation, just not when jetlagged and carrying luggage.

I looked to see what the stop is before Morges, it is Nyon. Maybe we can take train there, then use Uber? Even if we took a taxi, it's 1/2 the fare as compared to ride from airport.

I guess when we leave Rolle and need to get to station for train to Lyon, France, we can take the commuter train from Rolle to the main train station.
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 07:34 PM

Hi again,

The Swiss rail site is

www.sbb.ch

I would probably change in Nyon, as I suggested above, to be on a faster train for longer.

Have fun!

S
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 01:56 AM

It really depends on when you arrive. You can catch the hourly stop and go direct to Rolle. Sometimes the next routing will go to Nyon and then transfer. Most of the others will change directly at Geneve Cornavin (main station), even if Rome2Rio and Google are showing only a few connections, there are frequent stops along the corridor and difference between train types results in a variation of less than five minues. Just don't go to Morges, that is the longest routing by far.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 03:39 AM

Hi gooster,

I don't see an hourly stop-and-go direct to Rolle on sbb.ch. There is one at 06.11, but all the others require a change. What am I missing?

s
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 01:25 AM

@swandav2000 -- There is a RE train 13 after the hour during the day that takes 31 minutes. It requires no change at Geneve Cornavin but does stop make a few stops. I do not know why it is not showing for you, perhaps you are looking only at ICs (in this case, the RE is the fastest possible). It would often take the train to the airport instead of driving, as I was only a few blocks away from the train station in Lausanne Ouchy -- in that case the no-change IC is faster.
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the website. I think we'll take the train to Rolle with a change in Geneva. It makes the most sense and will save us a bundle. Unfortunately no direct trains for our schedule.

Last edited by MFNYC; Aug 27th, 2023 at 12:51 PM.