10 days in Turkey-need help with itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary with a 10 day/9 night trip to Turkey. We want to spend a few days in Istanbul, Cappadocia, and on the coast ( in Fethiye or Oulendiz). Can anyone give me suggestions on where to stay? I would love to stay in smaller unique type hotels. Which city on the coast we should stay in? Do we need to prebook a hot air balloon ride in Cappadocia? What about prebooking a full day gulet cruise? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:26 PM

You must go to Ephesus! My husband and I stayed in Bodrum and it was about a 2 hour drive. I will try to find out the name of the hotel we stayed there; it was a lovely hotel that overlooked the town of Bodrum.
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:59 PM

oh, yes do find out -- we have fewer than 10 days but would love to piggyback on michelle's original post for suggestions, itinerary help...
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:46 PM

What's your hotel budget in Istanbul?
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:59 AM

Hi Michelle,

If you are traveling for an anniversary, I strongly advice you to book all the services you would require.

Hotels are plenty but budget is important and also time of the year is a factor. ý realize you have not mentioned about that.

Full day gulet cruise ! In May or june possible but a bit hard to get a day in july or august if you do not pay min. for a 5 days charter cost. I am talking about realtively nice and deluxe boats. something moving on the water can always be available. having said that in areas like Kalkan and fethiye there are private boats chartering only for day cruises as well.

Wish you great time in Turkey and Happy anniversary,

Murat
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

We would like to keep our budget for our trip around $3000-$3500, not including our international airfare. So, I would like to find hotels that are under $200/night. Also, we are deciding between staying on the coast and traveling around, versus a 3 or 4 day gulet cruise.
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:35 AM

Look what I found; a write-up from our 2005 trip to Istanbul. Hope this helps you...We stayed in 3 hotels (Ciragan Palace, Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton); our favorite was the Palace. It is right on the Bosphorus and there are some wonderful bistros within walking distance. It also has a great brunch every day, as well as a swimming pool.

If you are staying in the Intercontinental, there is a pedestrian street in the area called Taxim. You probably will want to take a cab there, even though it is a short walk. The prices on the long pedestrian street are a bit more competitive than the Grand Bazaar. There also are some interesting places to eat.

I don’t think that you need a tour guide for the Blue Mosque, Haggia Sophia and the Palace; however, getting one for a general overview of the city, how the money works, a list of “must sees”; restaurant recommendations could be useful. We also took him with us to the Grand Bazaar and he took us to what he considered were the best vendors (in terms of quality and price).

We thought a highlight of the trip was going to the seaside town of Bodrum and a side trip to Ephesus (which was a 2 hour drive one-way). Ilknur, our guide, was fantastic. Bodrum is very beautiful and we loved the hotel Mirmara.

I wouldn’t recommend wearing shorts. Take a scarf that you can wear over your head if you are visiting the mosques. We did not have a bad meal – cherries were in season and we purchased them from a streetside vendor. We tried all the different kinds of baklava.

Old May 18th, 2008, 02:31 AM

Your budget seems fine and with this you can even splurge a little bit at some places. At Oludeniz saty at Faralya or there are few real nice hotels right at the beach.
Happy traveling,
Murat
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:31 AM

Hi, We stayed in a small pretty hotel within walking distance to the major sites in Istabul. We really liked it and the price was great. They even give you a 10% discount if you pay in cash. They accept US $ so that was easy. The name was Garden House Istanbul. They even arranged our transportation from the airport for a very reasonable fee. They are on the internet and you can book by email. If you want to do something fun, go to the Orient House for dinner and see belly dancers.
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:21 AM

WELCOME TO HOTEL KALENDER BODRUM – TURKEY

Have an amazing holiday in Bodrum, Turkey! at Hotel Kalender. Our hotel is a quality 2+ but with budget prices so you can enjoy your holiday, relax and unwind. Were fully serviced and recently renovated with all the comforts of home. Our International family welcomes you to experience our famous hospitality, Traditional Turkish cuisine and BBQ, Relax around our poolside bar or take the 5 minute walk to the beach.

We welcome all travelers: backpackers, couples, families, and also provide a wide range of tours and daily excursions. Book your holiday with us and we will take care of everything for you because we want you to return home and tell everybody about your amazing time in Turkey with Hotel Kalender. Its truly something special.

12 DAY AEGEAN & MEDITERRANEAN DREAMING EXPERIENCE

http://www.hotelkalender.com/12_day_...n_dreaming.htm
Day 01 - Bodrum
You will be transferred from Bodrum Airport, or Bodrum bus station to Hotel Kalender. On arrival please check into the hotel where your accommodation has been reserved for the night. You will be given your room key and the rest of the day is yours to enjoy party and explore Bodrum.

Day 02 -Hamam - Turkish Bath in Bodrum is a must:
Hamam, that?s the word for the Turkish bath - surely an unforgettable part of your holiday and the massage is the best part. On the marble slab the guest will receive a pummeling from head to toe, let the expert scrub of all those dead cells, relax again, and then drift away while the masseur straightens out all those knots and tense bits. All you have to do then is to wash your hair and put on loads of sun cream before emerging. After that you can relax with a Gay (Turkish tea) and you feel reborn. All rest of the day free and enjoy party and explore Bodrum.

Day-3 DALYAN (CAUNOS) TOUR
Dalyan is a very popular small town not spoiled by buildings. The wonderful 7 kilometer sandy Iztuzu Beach, which is accessible by a 45 minutes boat trip, is one of the last nesting areas for the Caretta caretta, Sea Turtles. Between May and September, the female turtles come to the beach to lay their eggs, to keep check on them from time to time and finally to take their babies to the sea.
Caunos, the ancient city near modern Dalyan, was founded around the 9th century BC. Once it was a Mediterranean city port, but over the centuries the silt from the Dalyan River choked the harbor and today the town lies several kilometers from the sea. Caunos is famous for its rock-cut tombs. These were graves for the kings and important people of the city. Since the Pagan people of the area believed in resurrection, they put lots of food, money, jewelery and other valuable items in holes at the entrance of the tombs, but because of grave robbers nothing is now left today.

Day 4- Bodrum
The day is yours.You don’t have to wake up early, enjoy the sunshine and take in the views and natural magnificent beach & crystal clear sea and explore the city, shop in the local markets, relax on the beach or enjoy one of the many day trips you have to choose from. These include Aqua Park,, scuba diving, fishing tour and many more.

Day 5- VILLAGE TOUR
Village Tour: Bodrum overflowing with boutiques, bars, cafes, restaurants is considered as a sophisticated resort yet some 20 minutes away a rare opportunity to visit an unspoilt mountain village and experience rural Turkish life, almost unchanged for centuries. Meet the humblest peasant whose generosity and kindness never fails to surprise and shows a hospitality that is long forgotten. Visit the tea house, the mosque and some local houses where you will experience delicious Turkish Cuisine and local spirits. In the end, you will see an impressive display of local handmade kilims and carpets made by villager women.

Day 6-Ephesus
After breakfast in the hotel you will depart for our guided tour of Ephesus one of the seven ancient wonders of the world. These are only a few words that may describe Ephesus. However no one could adequately describe Ephesus with words; one has to see Ephesus to appreciate it. A visit to Ephesus, one of the largest and best-preserved ancient cities in the world, is a must for those who are interested in archeology and culture.Ephesus is 185 kilometers away from Bodrum. An approximately three hours' journey through the cotton fields will bring you to this unique ancient site. 7 07:00 Departure for Ephesus. 7 08:30 Stop for an open-buffet breakfast with home-made marmalades, eggs and cheese from the village and the view of beautiful Lake Bafa. 11:00 Visit the house of Virgin Mary and the ruins of the ancient city of Ephesus. 14:00 Have a very tasty lunch at the best restaurant of the area. 16:00 Leave for Bodrum.

Day-7 Picnic Boat Trip
A day at sea with lunch included and served on board. We set out at approx. 11:00 to cruise the turquoise seas of the Bodrum coastline. We will visit several of the most beautiful bays where you can swim and snorkel in crystal-clear water or simply relax in the mild breeze, enjoy the stunning views and perfect your suntan to the sound of the gently lapping waves.At the black island, half an hour from Bodrum, you can bath in the grotto where the warm mineral waters flowing out of the rocks are believed to beautify the complexion.
Back on land at approx. 17:00.

Day 08 –Bodrum
The day is yours.You don’t have to wake up early, enjoy the sunshine and take in the views and natural magnificent beach & crystal clear sea and explore the city, shop in the local markets, relax on the beach or enjoy one of the many day trips you have to choose from. These include Aqua Park,, scuba diving, fishing tour and many more.

Day 9- Pamukkale
After breakfast we depart the hotel for our guided tour of the breathtaking white calcium cliffs of Pamukkale. You can bathe in the heated waters and visit the ancient ruins also found here. Pamukkale is 285 kilometers away from Bodrum. An approximately four and a half hours' journey through forests and country villages will take you to this beautiful place. 07:00 Leave for Pamukkale. 09:00 Stop for a traditional Turkish breakfast 11:30 Visit the ancient city of Hierapolis, walk on the snow? Ice? Mirage? Clouds? the beautiful cascades and swim in a spa. 14:00 Try some delicious samples of the Turkish cuisine. 15:00 Leave for Bodrum.

Day 10 TURKISH NIGHT BELLY DANCING SHOW
If this is your first time in Turkey and never been to a Turkish Night, we strongly recommend you go to one! Belly Dancers, Turkish folkdance, Turkish food and wine, a lot of laugh and audience participation. The program usually starts at 20:30 and goes on till midnight. Turks really know how to have fun all together.
Great Turkish style entertainment for everyone. Join us for evening of eastern promise, sample the local cuisine, local meze and drinks. You will be amazed the folk dances from all over the country and be entranced by the belly dancers in addition traditional Turkish hospitality. For the people who have a taste of living, the importance of the atmosphere is great. There are some places that you love... you miss and you want to share with friends Join us for a Traditional Turkish Night.

Day 11- JEEP SAFARI TOUR.
Driving in Suzuki Jeeps, our 130 km route is mostly OFF-ROAD and includes the most spectacular views and countryside of the entire region. Leaving Bodrum at approx. 10:00, we head east of the Bodrum Peninsula. After a coffee break at Çiftlikköy, we reach the highest peak of the Peninsula affording a magnificent panorama. Continuing through Etrim and Mumcular villages we arrive at the sleepy hamlet of Mazı for lunch and a swim in the gorgeous bay. We take in the pine forests and mountain scenery on our return journey to Bodrum for approx. 17:00

Day 12- Bodrum.
We hope your tour was a memorable one and we would like to see you in the future in one of our tours again .After breakfast check out from the hotel . We make your return airport transfer services. Have a nice trip back home and thanks for choosing Hotel Kalender.

TOUR INCLUDES:
11-night Accommodation at Hotel Kalender in Bodrum (with Breakfast and Dinner)
Return Airport transfer from Bodrum Airport or Bodrum bus station.
Fully guided Ephesus tour, Pamukkale tour, Dalyan ( Caunos ) Tour, Turkish Village Life Tour,
All entrance fees mentioned in the itinerary
Turkish Night,
Turkish Bath,
Jeep Safari
Boat Trip
Picnic Boat Trip

PRICES ARE:
Euro 389 Per Person
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:28 AM

thank you kalender - but advertising is not allowed on this forum
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:31 AM

Michelle,

I stayed at the Hotel Uyan in Istanbul last October and would stay there again. If you google the name their website will come up.

It's located in the Sultanahmet area, just a couple blocks from the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia.

The rate was 90 Euro a night when I booked, but believe it may have gone up to 99 Euro and this included breakfast. The price was quoted in Euro but I paid cash in Turkish Lire when I checked out.

Like many of the hotels in this area they have a rooftop breakfast room with indoor and outdoor seating and pretty views of the surrounding area.

The room was clean and comfortable.

If you click on my screenname and scroll down the left side of the screen you will find my trip report from my Turkey trip last Sept./Oct.