Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

14 days in Turkey- Itinerary Advice Needed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Turkey for sometime in September/October. Tentatively we are planning on going from 9/20-10/4 or the following week of 9/27-10/11

Your expertise is appreciated on which dates are better for our trip and how Ramadan (9/1-10/1) effects our travel schedule. Is it better to go during or after this time frame?

We would like to go to:
Istanbul (3-4 days)
Cappadocia (3-4 days)
Ephesus (1-2 days)
Somewhere along the coast (3 days)

We'd love your expertise/help on:
Recommendations for the coast location- currently thinking Cirali
Is it better to drive along the coast or have a base in one place.
What order of locations to minimize travel time- flying and/or driving?

Thanks for all comments and help!

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:49 PM

Istanbul
Cappadocia
Ephesus
connects better with the flights. From Ephesus to Cirali will require almost a full day driving ofcourse seing other things on the road is possible.

Happy travelling,
Murat
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 01:14 AM

The number of days you selected is ideal.

If you are a beach person, you might prefer establishing a base area along the coast. If you want to emphasize the historic sights, you might want to move around more when you are in that area.

Follow Murat's suggestion about the order.

You've got a fabulous starter itinerary!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 09:17 AM

My wife and I spent 19 days in Turkey 2002. Hope you are driving. See so much more that way.
We spent about a half day in Ephesus and found that was plenty of time.
One suggestion - if your driving from Cappadocia (Of course your going to be staying in a cave hotel) go straight down to a town called Manavagot and stay at the Villa Lapin (we got this tip from a Turk in Cappadocia) Wonderful Villa on the River. Highly recommend this place.
If your near Bodrum I recommend the Hotel Antique Tetro $120 per night in 2002 and even considering we had great hotels for $20 this place was worth every penny - picture Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn swimming in a pool on a cliff with a Crusader castle in the distance....well you get the idea. Bougainvillea climbing up sugar cubed white octogan rooms - just wonderful.
We chose to spend a night or two at various towns along the coast on our way to Izmir to turn in the car and catch a flight to Istanbul.
We travel a lot and this was one of our best trips and I am sure it will be the same for you.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Murat, Mike, and Terkar for your suggestions!

All your posts have been great clarifications to my initial trip planning. With your help, I feel that I've got the itinerary solidified!

Can you help answer a few more questions?

How many hours will it take to drive to Cirali from Ephesus?
Murat, I think you are right that we'll want to stop and see things from the road.

Where would be a good place to stay between Cirali and Ephesus?

Or do you think we'll make it down to Cirali in one day?

Thanks again!
Aimee
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 11:59 PM

There are few different routes to reach Cirali.
Via Denizli-Pamukkle are or not even touching Pamukkale but Tavas than you drive to Antalya firts.
This would take about 6 hours.

After Ephesus, visiting Priene, Miletus, Didyma you can end up at Fethiye. ( Non stop about 4 hours skipping the sites from a bit northern) But since you are going to drive leisurely I suggest do the visits and from Yatagan drive further to Fethiye or Gocek for overnight. Next day you can reach Ciralý with 3,5 to 4 hours drive. Very scenic and nice road to drive.

A mid size Diesel hire car is my suggestion for not to break the bank.

Happy travelling,

Murat
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 02:43 AM

Murat suggests visiting Priene, Miletus and Didyma so I'll just mention that they are absolutely terrific. Compared to Ephesus, you have the places to yourself. We went in May when there are fewer tourists, which explains why there were all of a dozen people at Didyma My wife and I were the only people at Priene. Fewer than that were at Miletus, the only disadvantage being that I was having a hard time including people in my pictures to show scale. All three places provide a greater sense of intimacy than Ephesus, which is special for a different reason in its own way.

I might be posting pictures of all three places this weekend, so check out my thread about that if that will help you determine places to visit.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 07:50 AM

had the same situation in Priene...very sparse crowds compared to Eph. Rather shocked as we entered the side road to the site...a Wrangler Jeans Outlet!

stu t.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:23 AM

You know, I have not been, but I'm going to Kas in three day on the turquoise coast. It looks just amazing, you can go sea kayaking over sunken greek ruins, hike canyons, see tombs carved into the rock and there are nice beaches too. Maybe you want to base your beach days there. This is the hotel I wanted to stay in, but it was booked, maybe it will work for you. It looks so nice and beachy http://www.exclusiveescapes.co.uk/de.../oybey/images/
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all your suggestions. You have all made this trip planning easier because of all your great suggestions.

Murat- I've sent you a separate email to hopefully get your help in flights and car rentals.

Mike- Your pictures are fabulous. I can't wait to see the rest of them.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!