Brief Turkey Itinerary

Search

Brief Turkey Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brief Turkey Itinerary

While living in Jerusalem we plan to take a few side trips to neighboring countries. We've decided to go to Turkey as our first side trip at the end of the month. We have tentatively planned 3 nights in Istanbul, then 3 in Izmir with a day trip to Ephesus. Are we missing anything really great nearby? Just can't go further afield on a short trip. We're flying TLV to Istan to Izmir to TLV, so won't have a car. Does this sound like a good taste of Turkey? Thanks! Oh, hotel recommendations in Izmir would be helpful, too! Thank you, Fellow Fodorites.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Turkey has lots of history and travel agents to take you to it so I would spend more time there. As well as Ephesus, there is Troy, Mount Ararat, Temple of Apollo at Didmya, various ancient structures and ampitheatres, and so on as well as tourist spots like Pammukkale, Prion, etc. Some hotels:

http://deals.hotels.com/hotel.asp?ci...country=turkey

The Allstar Aksan looked OK.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:37 AM

I’ve just come back from 11 wonderful days in Turkey. Fantastic country and people !
I too flew from Istanbul to Izmir but then rented a car upon landing and drove directly to Selcuk for 2 days, which is adjacent to the ruins of Ephesus and allowed me to explore that area at leisure, which included the Basilica of St. John and the house of the Virgin Mary. Just 8 Kms away, up a steep and windy ‘mountain’ road brings you to the tiny, ancient greek village of Sirince, set amid picturesque terraced vineyards and peach and olive groves, with breathtaking views. I spent 2 refreshing and relaxing days here. You can get to it easily by taking the public minivans from Selcuk up and down.

Your itinerary will give you a taste of Turkey, but it will not be a representative sample of everything that the country has to offer. You’d probably need a month for that. Izmir is on the Agean coast, but theres the whole other beautiful Mediterranean coastline, as well as the geographical wonders of the Kappadokya region of Central Turkey, the northern region of the Black Sea and the central part around the Capital, Ankara to name just a few.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Hi, I wonder why you want 3 days in Izmir? 1 for a day trip to Ephesus, I get, but when we were in Izmir, even 1 whole day was more then enough. There are too many wonderful things to see in Turkey, like the poster above mentioned. Maybe you can daytrip from Izmir to some of them! Have fun.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Fellow Fodorites -- this was just the information I was hoping for. It sounds like we could maybe use Izmir as a base if we rent a car. OR . . . we could stay 4 nights in Istanbul and 2 in Izmir. What do y'all think?
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Has anybody spent time in Troy? How much time should we allow? What else can you recommend from Izmir?
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM

An hour or two is all you need to see the ruins at Troy. Pergamon is really more interesting IMO - there's much more surviving, and it's definitely doable from Izmir by car, but I don't know about public transport/organised tours from Izmir. I've heard Sardis is good too, although I haven't been there myself.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM

Hi

Cappadocia is spectacular and should not be missed.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 11:48 AM

How about 2 days Istanbul, 1 day Ephesus, directly fly to Kayseri and 2 days Cappadocia. If you think its not a big rush for you whic is perfectly doable (surely better if more time allowed)and back Istanbul. Unique and interesting sides at a galnce!!!
Have fun in Turkey and Happy Travelling,
Murat
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 06:34 AM

I may recommend you visit some SYNAGOGUES in Izmir too. Also is you have time you may have SART 220 KM far from Ýzmir you may visit one of the oldes synagogue in Asian side of Turkey

Have a nice trip in Turkey

Sinan Akdenýz
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 12:21 PM

Given the time of year, my thoughts immediately went to Thanksgiving. The itinerary: to the store to get the turkey, turkey into the oven, turkey out/gravy made, turkey eaten, leftovers stored.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

We leave tomorrow for Turkey, hurray! I have one last request, very quickly -- does anyone have the name of a good tour guide or company for a day tour of Ephesus? Or is it totally doable on one's own? Thank you for all the helpful advice. Y'all are wonderful! Next stop in our travels -- Petra.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:19 AM

I was there on October 23rd this year. Totally doable on your own.
You start at one end and make your way to the other following a route which was the main street in the city. Thus there are 2 entrances/exits, called Gates. Most start at the high gate and walk all the way down. Of course, if your car was left at the high gate, you then have to walk all the way back up, which really isn't too bad if you're of average fitness and want a second look at things. Otherwise, the trick is to park your car (I'm assuming you'll have one) at the lower gate and then hitch a ride to the top gate to start your tour with a self-appointed gate ferryman in the lower parking lot (don't worry, he'll find you !) who won't charge you for the short 10 min. ride to the top after leaving your car at the bottom (quite safe) but will insist that you either stop at a carpet factory or leather shop for a presentation (about 40 minutes) before starting your Ephesus tour. I chose the leather shop.

After all this, you'll finally get to the ruins and enjoy your self guided tour. You can rent a handheld automated information set for 10YTL or hire a private guide. Either way, well worth it. Have fun.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Mathieu! Off we go . . .